Vent/curiosity of diet advice I received

Options
2»

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    metalmeow1 wrote: »
    I watched my carbs for a week and lost more than usual... But it's not sustainable nor enjoyable for me personally. Carbs are yummy.

You lost more water, not fat. Low carb isn't magic.
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have huge issues with a psychologist disclosing such personal information (their weight loss struggles and methods and beliefs) to a pretty new patient in a clinical setting. Deeply unprofessional and inappropriate.

He actually did go into some detail of his life, mentioned he's divorced and his ex wife has panic attacks etc.. I've had 2 sessions with him but I don't think we mesh well, as he's not the typical therapist I've had in the past either.. but interesting you pointed that out, he did go into detail about himself, I kind of ignored it as it wasn't something I cared about
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is odd that he is giving dietary advice, especially in such absolute terms. If you are doing something that is working already, great. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I don't have experience with therapists, but it seems odd.

But you are also over reacting. Low carb diets are generally really healthy unless you decide to subsist on bacon and diet cola. They are also very sustainable. Meats, eggs, seafood, full fat dairy, nuts, seeds, vegetables and some fruit... a healthy way to eat and very doable. I've been doing it for a couple of years and it has improved my weight, helped with maintenance, and improved my health. People ate that way for a millenium until highly refined grains and processed sugar was made available to everyone.

Plus you can have treats, just not as many as what made me overweight - true of any diet. I'm eating some nuts with some sugar free chocolate chips as I type this.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I bare my soul only to those who deserve it. Someone who comes across that powerfully would no get access to my innermost feelings...or my pocketbook.
  • fasterpssycat
    fasterpssycat Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    oxers wrote: »
    I'm eating below 20g of carbs a day for therapeutic reasons, and dude, it's the worst. I hate it. It's just as extreme as any medication regime I've ever been on. If the metabolic change helps limit my seizures, fine, but I have NO idea why anyone would do this for weight loss. Do you have any idea how much spring mix I have to eat to get enough plant based nutrition into my body?? It's insane! Outlawing fruit is insane, living on meat and cheese is insane, carefully limiting my Brussels sprouts intake is INSANE.

I'm just bitter because most of the resources on maintaining this crap is by and for dieters, and I just.. why. Yeah, bread and pasta should be limited and no one needs the amount of sugar we eat, but I'm limited to half a cup of blackberries daily, and I have to schedule that in. This isn't sustainable for the average person. This is madness. Don't listen to anyone who demonizes a goddamned sweet potato, okay?

PREACH

Also, I'm sorry you're having to do that for a serious health issue. I had a seizure once after my fourth head trauma and it was the scariest thing ever. I hope you are well!
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    ebaroldy wrote: »
    I have huge issues with a psychologist disclosing such personal information (their weight loss struggles and methods and beliefs) to a pretty new patient in a clinical setting. Deeply unprofessional and inappropriate.

He actually did go into some detail of his life, mentioned he's divorced and his ex wife has panic attacks etc.. I've had 2 sessions with him but I don't think we mesh well, as he's not the typical therapist I've had in the past either.. but interesting you pointed that out, he did go into detail about himself, I kind of ignored it as it wasn't something I cared about

One of my biggest hot buttons in life is bad therapists/psychologists. I am a licensed therapist, and it is wildly inappropriate for someone in our profession to share such personal details--not only about himself, but about his EX-WIFE. She did not give her consent to have that information shared with a client!!! Self-disclosure (therapist talking about their personal life) is generally discouraged because it's a distraction from the client's work. Regardless of your personal dietary choices, this guy is way out of line and acting very unprofessionally. Honestly, if I had encountered this I'd be making a complaint to his licensing board because it's totally inappropriate.

Thank you for your insight!!!

I'm not sure if you would call me gullible or what, but someone with a doctorate degree, I assume is a professional so I don't ever question one, right away.. thanks again I'm glad you gave your insight as one yourself!
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I'm eating below 20g of carbs a day for therapeutic reasons, and dude, it's the worst. I hate it. It's just as extreme as any medication regime I've ever been on. If the metabolic change helps limit my seizures, fine, but I have NO idea why anyone would do this for weight loss. Do you have any idea how much spring mix I have to eat to get enough plant based nutrition into my body?? It's insane! Outlawing fruit is insane, living on meat and cheese is insane, carefully limiting my Brussels sprouts intake is INSANE.

I'm just bitter because most of the resources on maintaining this crap is by and for dieters, and I just.. why. Yeah, bread and pasta should be limited and no one needs the amount of sugar we eat, but I'm limited to half a cup of blackberries daily, and I have to schedule that in. This isn't sustainable for the average person. This is madness. Don't listen to anyone who demonizes a goddamned sweet potato, okay?

If you need to be on this diet I suggest finding some good recipe books and buying quality meat and dairy. If you eat quality animal sourced food, you don't need to bother with the spring mix. Plant based nutrition is not necessary like they've led us to believe.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

If you need to be on this diet I suggest finding some good recipe books and buying quality meat and dairy. If you eat quality animal sourced food, you don't need to bother with the spring mix. Plant based nutrition is not necessary like they've led us to believe.

Please stop encouraging unhealthy diets by saying things like this. Plant based nutrition may not be essential to survive but your body is much healthier having fruit, vegetables, grains and legumes in it. There are so many nutrients that you are eliminating from your diet by removing nearly all of your food sources.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    A diet rich in vegetables and fruits can lower blood pressure, reduce risk of heart disease and stroke, prevent some types of cancer, lower risk of eye and digestive problems, and have a positive effect upon blood sugar which can help keep appetite in check.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/vegetables-and-fruits/

On the other side of the equation diets high in the consumption of red meat and low in fibre have been linked to higher risks of several cancers.

https://www.cancer.org/healthy/eat-healthy-get-active/acs-guidelines-nutrition-physical-activity-cancer-prevention/diet-and-activity.html
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

Please stop encouraging unhealthy diets by saying things like this. Plant based nutrition may not be essential to survive but your body is much healthier having fruit, vegetables, grains and legumes in it. There are so many nutrients that you are eliminating from your diet by removing nearly all of your food sources.

I know you don't agree with those facts, but it really is just an opinion. Science doesn't support it.

I agree that fruit and vegetables can be a great source of nutrients, but so can animal sources. In fact animal sourced nutrients are often more bio-available... I still enjoy eating veggies and fruit though.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    The point of this thread is that the therapist crossed the line by stating what the OP should/should not do. He also demonstrated poor boundaries, and the OP felt uncomfortable. Let's stick with the topic at hand.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    *snipped for brevity*

Thank you for your insight!!!

I'm not sure if you would call me gullible or what, but someone with a doctorate degree, I assume is a professional so I don't ever question one, right away.. thanks again I'm glad you gave your insight as one yourself![/quote]

I'm happy to help! I wholeheartedly believe in the power of therapy to do good, and a bad therapist makes the whole profession suspect. "Overshare" about himself and his ex isn't the most egregious offense he could make but it's poor clinical judgment and not helpful to you. And as for whether you're gullible or not, I think you should absolutely be able to feel like your mental health professional is trustworthy and professional, as you would hope to with any medical doctor. The public doesn't really know what the rules of this profession are, so I try to speak to it when appropriate. It sounds like this person is not unprofessional by oversharing and unnecessary self disclosure, as well as practicing outside of his competency if he's offering diet advice when he's not a registered dietician. If it were me, especially if I wasn't feeling really connected to him, I'd find a differentry therapist. I wish you better luck moving forward!
  • jimihndrks
    jimihndrks Posts: 9 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I changed my eating habits and eat white steamed rice 2 times per day on average (1/2 cup each time) and I lost 60 lb in 6 months without exercising. I'd say he is wrong. I do think losing weight is a personal journey and what works for one may not work for another. Do what works for you.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

You read things in that which weren't actually said. Also, the topic is the inappropriate behavior of the OP's psychologist.