Shhhh, Quite Deadlifts

Options
_Bro
_Bro Posts: 437 Member
edited March 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
so, this guy beside me works his way up to 405 on the deadlift. I glance over and he's keeping great form, lowering the weight in a controlled fashion, making a little noise when the plates hit the floor -- think to myself good job go back to my lifts.

After his second working set or so I can feel the stares from the treadmill area and they are not kind. Furthermore, there's a personal trainer (identifiable by his shirt only not physique) giving him the death stare and I can see he's just waiting to tell the guy to quite down.

... So I walk over to the guy who's now taking a break between his set, give him a friendly pat on the back and tell him great job your really cranking out the reps with good form. We chat for a few seconds and I make my way over to the personal trainer.

I asking him what's going on and then say, I see your watching that guys form. He's really doing a great job, right?

He stammers a bit says yeah, and then I go on to say its a good thing you can appreciate it right? Some people would be annoyed at the slightest bit of noise.. Crazy, right?

Haha.. PT was completely caught off guard.. Walk away feeling great.

Replies

• _Bro
    Options
  • _Bro
    Options
    Lol meanwhile the PT would say nothing about this..

bhmnte88jzxk.jpg
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The only time I ever got annoyed at gym noise is when the guy next to me was slamming 225 doing some sort of touch and go. I expect some noise but he was actively pushing the bar down from the top. I am positive that it would have been quieter to just drop them from the top.
  • SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I'm always happy to have a garage gym when I read things like. I would think a gym might end up collecting people with back injuries if people feel they have to set a bar down on eggshells.
  • _Bro
    edited March 2017
    Options

Of course there's the "other side" as well:

koqur1mxlrru.jpg
    ui2l5eh4ow19.png

wlswwdoqlelt.jpg
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I get the same glare from a PT at my gym. Whenever I'm doing my heavy squats or deads he just looks at me like "you're discouraging my clients". Others have noticed it as well. I started at the bottom as well and it's kind of hilarious that he gives me those looks. So whenever he's trying to peddle useless supplements I contradict everything on the bottle and say how interesting it is that those supps do the exact opposite compared to what was discovered in several studies.
  • abrubru
    abrubru Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    _Bro wrote: »
    Lol meanwhile the PT would say nothing about this..

bhmnte88jzxk.jpg

Holy hemorrhoids! what is this guy thinking? This is screaming injury!
  • _Bro
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    I get the same glare from a PT at my gym. Whenever I'm doing my heavy squats or deads he just looks at me like "you're discouraging my clients". Others have noticed it as well. I started at the bottom as well and it's kind of hilarious that he gives me those looks. So whenever he's trying to peddle useless supplements I contradict everything on the bottle and say how interesting it is that those supps do the exact opposite compared to what was discovered in several studies.

xxgcklvmfkmp.jpg
  • abrubru
    abrubru Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I coached a power lifting team for a number of years, and there is noise when you lift. There is noise when you lift light or heavy. There is noise when you do freaking yoga...what is wrong with people? 405 with perfect form is a beautiful thing to see and do...

@_bro in job diffusing the situation and making the PT feel like a putz.
    @ TresA IT's a shame that you paid for your membership but can't use your gym when you want as people are "sensitive" to noise. It's a gym. Get over it. This is why I have avoiding going to Planet Fitness so far in my life...
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm the PT @ my gym doing the loud Deadlifts-how messed up is that?! :D;)
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    There comes a point where you will deadlift enough and people just *kitten* right off and don't say a word about the noise.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    That guy would die from the noise at a Crossfit box! My Jiu Jitsu school shares space with a crossfit and I cringe every time they play with barbells because they lift them up over their heads and then just drop them. We're all relieved when they finish so we can hear our BJJ professor again.

I deadlift at a regular gym and we get a little noise there but usually nothing too crazy. Well, except for the guy who looks like Gimli from Lord of the Rings. He likes to sing loudly with his headphones and pep talk himself before lifts. We're all amused by it though, not irritated, because he's a super awesome guy and my gym is full of some great people. :smile: