Calories posted on menus, would it influence how you order?

Options

Replies

• MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    It would be great!!! our local pub has recently changed comapanies so I've just looked at the new website to see if any MORE meals with cals had been added to the menu as they used to have about 4 or 5 that were listed...

The new company hasn't posted a menu to the website so I don't know if there have been any advnces, but I did see this...

http://www.flaminggrillpubs.com/fg/pages/food-and-drinks/challenge-burger/c

How my tastes have changed. This made me feel quite nauseous, at one time I'd have been quite excited at the thought of meeting the challenge!
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't inflence me. If i'm being strict, i don't eat out i just cook what i've got. If i'm stuck in town somewhere then i'll just grab a low cal sub to tide me over.

If i go to eat out and sit in then i'm their to enjoy what i am eating and not to count every calorie. I'll also order something i can't do at home. Eating out isn't just about convenience for me it's about having fun and enjoying what i'm going to eat. It might be different if i saw something low cal that was more than a bit of salad on a plate.

Where i am in the UK no-one has the nutritional info on the menu's. Subway has it on the glass counter and i believe McDonalds has it on the packaging. I was never a big McDonalds fan anyway.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I think that for the most part people on MFP are going to say it would influence their decision because they're focused on what they are putting into their body for some kind of fitness goal (be it losing weight, gaining weight, gaining muscle or whatever). But most American consumers don't care. That can be evidenced by seeing the shopping carts of most people in the supermarkets. As you mentioned, most people ignore the nutrition facts on everyday products. Going out to eat isn't going to make many people change their ways.

For the most part, I am concerned with that I eat when I go out if it's not something I was planning on doing. For instance, if someone invites me to lunch last minute and I had a general plan of what I am going to eat for the day, I might "eyeball" the selections where we are going to see if I can stick to the same general amount of calories. But if I am going out and having a good time, no, I don't care at all. I'll have a margarita and too many salty, fried tortilla chips with salsa and then a bean and cheese burrito because that is what it's all about. It's not an everyday thing so who cares? Have some fun!
  • kaylemartin
    kaylemartin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    100% yes! It has done
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I can see both sides...

If I'm out on a gotta satisfy this craving run (which may point to the example in the article of a Double Down or Cold Stone Creamery ice cream) it wouldn't matter because I want what I want and don't care. For instance, this weekend I was hanging with my besties and got a full fat raspberry chip ice cream on a dipped waffle cone and fully enjoyed it!

However if I was travelling for business or on vacation, I would rather know what the calories are so I'm not overindulging on a regular basis. In those cases, you're just trying to have a regular meal, it's not a special occassion.
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! California restaurants have all of the nutrition listed in their menus. I've always seen it in the back, so you can ignore it if you want to. I love visiting there so that I have that all at my fingertips. I always look up the nutritional information before going to any restaurant. But most are off. I usually add 25% more calories to whatever it says online. It only makes sense... The calories posted are from people measuring exactly, the chef in the back of the restaurant just throws stuff in! That's why sometimes it tastes different when you order the same thing at the same place... different guy cooking it. You can't always trust the info!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I won't go to a restaurant anymore without looking up NI first. I know of one place that won't list most of their NI online. Pretty sad if you ask me.

If I can't make it fit into my calories for the day, I just plain and simple don't eat it. Eating high calorie, junk is what got me to being obese, and I have made up my mind that I WON'T go back there again.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't be swayed the first time I saw it. But I think it would deter me from going back so soon or from ordering the same thing again. I'd try to find a better alternative or I'd only go on a day when I could afford the calories. So yeah, it would make a difference. Ignorance is truly bliss.
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Yes it does - they have a place over here in the UK called the Harvester which does, and my usual is 400 calories more (970) than my 2nd favorite meal, and I know I can make my favorite meal at home for less calories, so it makes a huge difference to me :smile:
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I alternate on this topic.

On the one hand I think most people eat out quite sporadically and it is a treat so I think they shouldn't be too concerned with what they eat - for one night? If a person wants to make the healthy choice they will.

However I eat out quite a bit (maybe once a week) and I do sometimes plead ignorance to myself and indulge.. If I could see the calories in black and white it would push me towards the best option. For the most part I do make good choices but would the calorie info help me on those few occasions I really 'want' something that isn't the most healthy option?

Ultimately the only person who can decide what I put into my body is me and I don't need nutritional information to tell me that a huge bowl or creamy pasta with wine and garlic bread is going to be a lot more calorific than a small portion of tomato based pasta with side salad and water.
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    It would definitely influence me. I would usually order something lower in calories (but not something I don't like) but even if I decided to order something with more calories I would have a better idea of what portions to eat.
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    It would definitely influence what I ordered, and also how much of the meal I ate (and how much I packed to go).
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    So, when you are dining out, if the calories/nutrition of each entree were listed on the menu, would it influence what you choice to eat/order?

I watched a news report last night which concluded most people would not be swayed by knowing what the calories are in their favorite Stone Cold Creamery Milkshake or KFC Double Down sandwich. I personally LOVE it when the calories are posted. It is ABSOLUTELY the determining factor in my decision making process.

I personally used the nutrition posted to aid with my breakfast decision at Starbucks in NYC and what breakfast sandwich I ate at 30th street station in Philadelphia! I think it would be a real eye opener to a LOT of people.

If I know I'm going to eat out I go out and look at the menu and plan before I get there. If I'm were the type of person to order the items from Stone Cold or KFC it wouldn't matter to me because I'm already planning on eating over 1000 calories in that meal (general estimation). I think they're asking the wrong people at the wrong places.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    nope. i eat what i want. :)

just because a meal is only 360 or 550 calories, doesn't mean it is the better choice if it doesn't provide leftovers for the next day. personally i'd rather order the 900-1200 calorie meal and have 2 meals out of it.

at coldstone i always get the cheesecake with heath bar and strawberries in a kid's size. nothing will change that. lol.
  • Myra73
    Myra73 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I alternate on this topic.

On the one hand I think most people eat out quite sporadically and it is a treat so I think they shouldn't be too concerned with what they eat - for one night? If a person wants to make the healthy choice they will.

However I eat out quite a bit (maybe once a week) and I do sometimes plead ignorance to myself and indulge.. If I could see the calories in black and white it would push me towards the best option. For the most part I do make good choices but would the calorie info help me on those few occasions I really 'want' something that isn't the most healthy option?

Ultimately the only person who can decide what I put into my body is me and I don't need nutritional information to tell me that a huge bowl or creamy pasta with wine and garlic bread is going to be a lot more calorific than a small portion of tomato based pasta with side salad and water.

Actiually, more people are like you, and eat out quite a bit. I think it is a good idea to have calories posted. It's an eye opener. Yes, people could choose to ignore, but they couldn't fall back on the excuse "well, I THOUGHT it was healthy."

So to answer the question, it would (and has, on a recent IHOP trip) influenced my decision, IF I cared THAT DAY. If it was a treat, I would put it to the back of my mind (and hit reality when I came back to MFP to log it!)
  • erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Posted calories would influence what I get! Even if I decided to get it...I may not get it next time! ( I have not tried that new rolo mcflurry at mcdonalds yet, because I know how many calories it has...lol...It will have to be a splurge day)
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    it depends, if i want a burger and fries, im going to get it still, but if the calories are posted i would make a wiser decision in which type of burger i wanted. i rarely eat out at a sit down restaurant. Im talking about maybe a couple times a year at the most. We do fast food about once a month. On some occasions though, i wont care either way.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    it depends, if i want a burger and fries, im going to get it still, but if the calories are posted i would make a wiser decision in which type of burger i wanted. i rarely eat out at a sit down restaurant. Im talking about maybe a couple times a year at the most. We do fast food about once a month. On some occasions though, i wont care either way.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    So, when you are dining out, if the calories/nutrition of each entree were listed on the menu, would it influence what you choice to eat/order?

I watched a news report last night which concluded most people would not be swayed by knowing what the calories are in their favorite Stone Cold Creamery Milkshake or KFC Double Down sandwich. I personally LOVE it when the calories are posted. It is ABSOLUTELY the determining factor in my decision making process.

I personally used the nutrition posted to aid with my breakfast decision at Starbucks in NYC and what breakfast sandwich I ate at 30th street station in Philadelphia! I think it would be a real eye opener to a LOT of people.

We eat out far too often but I love when the info is available in the restaurant. Often times I am trying to decide between a few different options. Sometimes the calories is the deciding factor. There is a Jason's Deli in out area. There are two vegetarian wraps on the menu. They are virtually the same...at least I can't tell a significant difference...one is about 200 cals less than the other...so yes..since I have had them both and don't really prefer one over the other I go with the lower calorie. I doesn't always come into play but often times it would help me decided between choice A or choice B. If I was on one of my few dates a year with my hubby it may or may not make a difference.
  • GameOn2011
    GameOn2011 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It would influence my decision a great deal. I only eat out once a week and I eat what I want (my weekly cheat meal) but I still try to eat something thats not just loaded with fat and calories. I still enter my calories even on my cheat meal.

Same here...Friday is my 'lunch out' day and it is a group of 4, so I am not always in control of where we go...so I would love it if more places listed nutrition.

Just the other night I had a business dinner meeting at a local restaurant, and they had a healthy section with listed calories...so I picked a 252 calorie salmon dish just because the calories were listed although I was eyeing up their personal pizza selections!