Couch to 5K on treadmill vs. outdoors

Options
I started Couch to 5K four weeks ago. I usually walk 5Ks at a leisurely pace and say my goal is complete- not to compete. I will keep that goal even while jogging but here is my issue.

I live in Ohio and right now the weather is up and down. I do NOT like to be outdoors in the cold. Ever. but recognizing 5Ks are outdoors I have run into a problem. When I do Couch to 5K on the treadmill I can get through each daily routine but when I go outside I get so winded! I am at a duration of five minutes and inside I can push through. Outside not so much. I find myself tired and stopping.... which upsets me.

A friend told me to make sure my incline is up high which I have been doing. I don't run fast on the treadmill or outside. 4.5 at the most just a jog.

Any tips?! I feel like I won't make it!!

Replies

• Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I completed all of C25K on a treadmill when I did it. I found it easier to keep my pace slow that way. At that point I was running about 45 minutes to an hour at 5 mph. When I finally was able to run outside, I found it was actually easier than the treadmill. With the added bonus of being a little bit faster too! So you can probably do all of C25K on a treadmill and have it translate to outdoor running once the weather is more cooperative.
  • mayafit405
    mayafit405 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It might have to do with the surfaces. A treadmill has a softer more even consitancy than say cement or dirt . I would mix it up
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    4.5mph on the treadmill is actually reasonably fast for a beginner.

Generally it is suggested to raise the incline to 1 to mimic being outside, you also have wind and environment against you, plus you are having to propel yourself forwards rather than effectively running on the spot which is what happens with a treadmill. No wonder you felt winded

Go slower (this is the usual suggestion with c25k anyway) and really try and get outside when you can to practise.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    A treadmill is easier on your joints when overweight. Trying playing with the interval options, they won't exactly match the C25K plan but it's using the same principle.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I did C25K last year at the tender age of 55. I am in good shape from swimming, cycling, ellipticating, lifting weights, etc., but I am not a great runner. Yet, somehow, I can now run a 5K comfortably, if slowly. Here is my advice:

No problem using a treadmill. It's a great way to build stamina. I'd leave it flat. (Running is hard enough.) When you start to run outdoors, going to a track or other area where the surface is flat is a good idea.

Consider getting a heart rate monitor. (Mine is from Wahoo Fitness and it connects to your phone. There are tons of choices, including fitbits, etc.) Here is a short article about it.

The C25K approach is great. One thing not clearly stated is that you don't have to go through the workouts one by one. You can repeat or go back based on how you feel. Stay on one level for a while, if necessary. There's no rush.

Now finally about speed: One thing about the treadmill is you have total control of it. You should be able to walk in the range of 3-4MPH. If you can't, you might want to do C25K where you are alternating walking at 3 and going to 4MPH (not running) for the fast intervals. Still a great workout, and you can increase incline as you get stronger. As for running speed, it's hard to call anything slower than 5MPH running (or even jogging). Many people can walk that fast. If you can't run at or above 5MPH for a 1 minute interval, then I think you should stick to working up your walking endurance, which is still a great workout.

Best of luck!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I did c25k on the TM for the opposite reason: I began running in the summer when it was 90 degrees with 90% humidity. It wasn't until I had finished and was able to run for 30 minutes non-stop that I started to run outside. At first it felt more difficult, but now running outside feels a lot easier. I can run much faster outdoors for the same effort. The hard part is learning to control your pace instead of having the machine do it for you. Obviously, the way to do that is to slow down. The pace should be conversational. Talk to yourself or recite the words to your music out loud. If necessary, walk a few steps when you start breathing heavily, then start jogging slowly again. After a few sessions, you'll find it easier to control the pace and keep it feeling easy. If you don't have any races in the near future, you can continue to run on the TM. Or just do one day a week outside to get used to it. If you do have some races coming up, then try to do half your runs outside. It will get easier.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    For me it has got to be outside. I was amazed last week in Telluride CO at the runners that were out running in the snow. You can do it if you get the right gear. My favorite site is Runnersword.com/whattowear, I check it ever morning and it is spot on so I am a little cold at the start but after 3/4 mile I feel perfect.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Generally it is suggested to raise the incline to 1 to mimic being outside, you also have wind and environment against you, plus you are having to propel yourself forwards rather than effectively running on the spot which is what happens with a treadmill. No wonder you felt winded

This. When running on a treadmill, the treadmill is doing a lot of the work for you. You are not projecting forward like you do out side. Outside, not only is it a harder surface, but you also are exerting energy moving yourself forward. Add on elements like wind or elevation changes and you're likely to notice a difference.

I am the same boat as you by living in Wisconsin. Cold is just not my thing. With that being said, you do need to make sure you are mixing your runs up as both indoor and outdoor if you are looking to do any 5k races in the future, if eventually bettering your pace is important to you. If you are doing the program just for fitness and to run, then a treadmill is fine. Some people find their pace improve outside because it isn't as boring, but that isn't the norm.

It essentially boils down to your goals.
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I find that running outside is definitely easier than on the treadmill. With that being said, to assist in replicating outside as much as possible, if your treadmill has a "random" workout choose this. I run this way because it adjusts the incline for you. All you have to do is manually adjust the speed just as you would outside. HTH and happy running.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I started out running doing the C25K program on the treadmill this time of year as well (and I'm also in Ohio!). This was in 2011, so I can't exactly remember which one I felt was easier at that point, but I know that I preferred running outside as it was much less boring. I can tell you that, without a doubt, I prefer running outside very much now. The treadmill feels harder to me, but I think that is because it also feels much longer to me. I'm not sure about the surface you've been running on, but I'm guessing that the treadmill's surface is a little easier to run on since it's softer and flatter. There's nothing wrong with keeping your runs strictly on the treadmill, if that's what you prefer. It all depends on your goals and if jogging is strictly for exercise or enjoyment, there's no reason you have to take it outside. Now, if you're wanting to complete a race or enjoy the great outdoors, I'd say to wait until the weather is consistently warm enough to take your runs outside. The more you run outside, the easier it will become. In the meantime, I would do as others have suggested and play around with the elevation on the treadmill to more closely mimic outdoor running. Happy running!
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I started the programme on a treadmill and then gradually built up to going outside. I did run on an incline but I still found running outside to be much more challenging and it took time to be able to run the same amount of time outside as on a treadmill. Having said that, the treadmill was a great way to build up my cardiovascular fitness a bit before going outside to run :)
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Placing the TM at an incline is not the solution - I have never used an incline and have gone from C25K to training for half marathons on the TM. I suspect that your pace is much faster outside than inside. If you are serious about running I recommend investing in a Garmin or other GPS watch. It does not need to be fancy, all you really need is pace, distance and overall time. Good luck with your running!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    My pace is "better inside," (although I'm not actually going anywhere).
  • caramel827
    caramel827 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Ryokat wrote: »
    I completed all of C25K on a treadmill when I did it. I found it easier to keep my pace slow that way. At that point I was running about 45 minutes to an hour at 5 mph. When I finally was able to run outside, I found it was actually easier than the treadmill. With the added bonus of being a little bit faster too! So you can probably do all of C25K on a treadmill and have it translate to outdoor running once the weather is more cooperative.

Thank you for this! It gives me hoe! I have been convincing myself that once the weather gets better it will be so much easier. Meanwhile I do try to do the app when walking 5Ks this season but you have validated it is okay to go with mostly treadmill. Thank you so much!
  • caramel827
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    4.5mph on the treadmill is actually reasonably fast for a beginner.

Go slower (this is the usual suggestion with c25k anyway) and really try and get outside when you can to practise.

Thank you so much for your response. It does give me much hope! You also help remind me of my same saying for weight loss..slow and steady wins the race!
  • caramel827
    Options
    All of these replies are so helpful to me! Thank you everyone! i really do think I need to think about my goals. The fact that I am even attempting this I have already done more than I ever imagined. I will take it just like my 100 pound weight loss-slow and steady! I love what someone mentioned about repeating. I am at the point where it is about to leap from 6 mins to 8 mins. That is not for me right now so I will repeat the 6 and alternate environments! Thank you everyone!!!
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    caramel827 wrote: »
    I started Couch to 5K four weeks ago. I usually walk 5Ks at a leisurely pace and say my goal is complete- not to compete. I will keep that goal even while jogging but here is my issue.

I live in Ohio and right now the weather is up and down. I do NOT like to be outdoors in the cold. Ever. but recognizing 5Ks are outdoors I have run into a problem. When I do Couch to 5K on the treadmill I can get through each daily routine but when I go outside I get so winded! I am at a duration of five minutes and inside I can push through. Outside not so much. I find myself tired and stopping.... which upsets me.

A friend told me to make sure my incline is up high which I have been doing. I don't run fast on the treadmill or outside. 4.5 at the most just a jog.

Any tips?! I feel like I won't make it!!

That's because on the road you have to push yourself forward as opposed to a treadmill that,moves you forward. I'm the opposite, I hate running on a treadmill but I will admit its hard to get outside when its cold or hot out. Just remember the weather is just another excuse. Truth is I've done 3 very cold 5ks now (think late November in WI) and if you dress appropriately you warm up,in no time. Its really just the first few minutes that are cold.
  • Mysticalmaid
    Mysticalmaid Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't know how cold it gets in Ohio, but you should warm up nicely once you get a few minutes into the run. I've done treadmill and outdoor C25K, I'm now in a running club and run around 5k regularly and been running over a year. I found the transition from treadmill to road quite tough on some muscles and that I was going too fast outdoors. The way your body copes with the changes in roads with little undulations, up and down kerbs, hills, perhaps gravelly bits, this makes you work harder, but it's better for you and your body. If you're transitioning to road, slow down a little and pay attention to breathing, this will let you know if it's the right pace for you. Well done on getting this far and keep it up!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    caramel827 wrote: »
    All of these replies are so helpful to me! Thank you everyone! i really do think I need to think about my goals. The fact that I am even attempting this I have already done more than I ever imagined. I will take it just like my 100 pound weight loss-slow and steady! I love what someone mentioned about repeating. I am at the point where it is about to leap from 6 mins to 8 mins. That is not for me right now so I will repeat the 6 and alternate environments! Thank you everyone!!!

If you find a leap intimidating, try splitting the difference. When the program jumped from 10 to 25 minutes, I didn't think I could do it, so I did something like 16 minutes x 2 instead. Then the next time I did the 25 minutes. I was amazed and thrilled to find out I could do it. So maybe do 6 + 7 + 6 instead of 8 x 2.
  • caramel827
    Options
    I don't know how cold it gets in Ohio, but you should warm up nicely once you get a few minutes into the run. I've done treadmill and outdoor C25K, I'm now in a running club and run around 5k regularly and been running over a year. I found the transition from treadmill to road quite tough on some muscles and that I was going too fast outdoors. The way your body copes with the changes in roads with little undulations, up and down kerbs, hills, perhaps gravelly bits, this makes you work harder, but it's better for you and your body. If you're transitioning to road, slow down a little and pay attention to breathing, this will let you know if it's the right pace for you. Well done on getting this far and keep it up!

That makes sense about the movement! I honestly don't think I'm a runner nor will ever be. I enjoy walking 5Ks and lost 100 pounds doing so. I will walk in the cold but oddly the running thing just isn't for me so perhaps it isn't about the weather. I guess I have to forgive myself for not loving it lol. But I'm not giving up! I plan to run at least one!