Garmin watch

Options
Wondering why my garmin watch is saying ive done speed of 2mph when infact ive done speed of 6mph and incline of 4%??
Does this happen to anyone else?

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Is it one with GPS, I'm assuming it is if you're expecting it to know incline?
  • sarahlovesfood25
    sarahlovesfood25 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I think so, is that the problem?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Which version of Garmin?

Are you on a treadmill?
  • amlalriiee
    amlalriiee Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I think it's because you're doing an indoor workout, and I'm pretty sure for that to be accurate you'd need a footpod accessory. If you have trouble with it outside, too, then I don't know. For inside workouts the only stats I pay attention to are heartrate and calories. When you're outside it should recognize incline because the GPS will be working.

Edit to add: I believe when using a footpod for an indoor workout you also want to shut off your GPS manually. I don't actually have a footpod, but I had done some research on it before once and that was what I found.
  • sarahlovesfood25
    sarahlovesfood25 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Vivoactive i have and yes only wen im on treadmill, i just count calories to b fair but just wanted to no y it was saying a different speed to what i do and wondered if it affected my calories burnt,,
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Vivoactive i have and yes only wen im on treadmill, i just count calories to b fair but just wanted to no y it was saying a different speed to what i do and wondered if it affected my calories burnt,,

Probably calibration. Your VivoActive assumes a standard pace length, and your running stride will be different to your walking stride.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    amlalriiee wrote: »
    I think it's because you're doing an indoor workout, and I'm pretty sure for that to be accurate you'd need a footpod accessory.

The watches that have step counters should have internal accelerometers which would make decent guesses about distance and thus pace. Not as good as a footpod, and pretty worthless if you hold onto the treadmill ;)
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Speed has almost no effect on burning calories (other than you can cover more ground in a shorter time). The distance you move your body is what counts. Heart rate, speed, and effort are almost meaningless.
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have a Forerunner 220 and for the footpod to work correctly indoors I must manually turn off the GPS function. The watch defaults to GPS on.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I have the Vivoactive. I'm assuming you're picking the treadmill running app and not the outdoor one? If so it does sound funky. I've only ever used mine to run outside with the GPS and that was fine.

Perhaps try again and if it's still weird go to the Garmin forum?
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'd be getting a footpod if you do treadmill a lot of the time and your device will work with it. Also use the indoor or treadmill activity so it shuts off the GPS while indoors.