Approaching goal with fat arms

Options
Hi Everyone, I am looking for some advice. I have always had 140 as my goal weight for years. At last I am finally down to the last 5lb or so and while that feels great and I see a big difference in my tummy, my clothes are smaller and look better, and I feel much fitter and happier, I dont seem to have lost any weight from my upper arms and so when I wear a dress my arms still look terrible. I also have that keratosis pilaris thing (chicken skin) on the tops of my arms so overall they look dreadful!! Is there anything you can suggest to help me feel confident in a dress? Should I reset my goal and lose more hoping it comes off my arms this time? Ive read up about various arm lift surgeries or liposuction on the upper arms but they are super pricey and I dont want to be left with big scars for the rest of my life. Any help is much appreciated, thank you :)

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    do you lift? while you can't target fat loss, lifting will help your arms look better by building muscle.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    How much have you lost? And congratulations on almost reaching your goal! I know someone who had the skin removed from her arms...big ugly scars!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sadly nope. My arms are relatively muscular (well, enough for me) but that skin hasn't gone anywhere sadly.
  • mcdomi
    mcdomi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I swim and hike and have lost 25lb so far with about 5 left to go. Maybe stage 2 will be toning now, I could try weights, something new! Thanks for the suggestions :)
  • Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Lifting will will be very helpful for you!
  • courtt004
    courtt004 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with pp who said lift weights! My arms use to be chuncky and I lift every other day (arms) and they have come so far!
  • GettingFit5551
    GettingFit5551 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Nice job on your weight Loss!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Have you taken actual measurements or photos of your arms?
    If you haven't you might do so and you can see changes that way that you don't see if the mirror.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I lost 85 pounds and none of it came from my arms their just where i carry my weight sadly >.< Still the same measurements at 145 as they were a 235

Curious, Did you lose any of your boobs? Im down 85 and i havent lost any (went up a cup size XD) so i think genetically i just carry m weight in my chest and arms. If thats true for you atleast be happy we get boobs to fill out the sexy dresses and no one will be looking at our arms :p If its not true im sure its not even that bad, Just tone up and keep trekkign a bit past your goal and hope for the best but big arms arent the end of the world (Sometimes it feels like it :D ) Focus on how slim the rest of you is undoubtable getting, No one but you cares about your arm size
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Have you tried adding essential fatty acids to your diet to help your skin condition. I had some weird dry skin patches on the back of arms...and it went away faster adding it to my diet. It takes about 6 months to see improvement.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,599 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Genetics will dictate where you hold your fat first and last. Some is in their lower body and some in their upper body. The main thing you keep doing is keep working at it. If you haven't added a resistance program, then do so. Unconditioned muscle gets lost with fat leaving the person a "flabbier" look. Lift to keep what muscle you have while reducing body fat. Of course along with this, your weight should go down more (unless you're recomping).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I had to get down to a very low weight (a size 12 in children's) before my arms looked more muscular than just fat. It's the place where I hold weight, unfortunately.
    Weight training and lowering your body weight help.
  • mcdomi
    mcdomi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks, I will definitely try lifting weights and adding the fatty acids, I hope it will help! Thanks so much and good luck to all of you!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    For the KP, if it's available where you are (I got mine on Amazon) Amlactin has been amazing for mine. Though curiously with weight loss my arms are better and now it sporadically shows up on my legs. That's when I go in for the kill with the Amlactin.
  • Drueru
    Drueru Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've got the same problem too :neutral: It's always been my worst problem area. .. Currently doing some Bob Harper videos every couple of days and he says weights weights weights. Tricep kickbacks, skullcrushers and overhead triceps.. killer, but hoping I'll see some results.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Drueru wrote: »
    I've got the same problem too :neutral: It's always been my worst problem area. .. Currently doing some Bob Harper videos every couple of days and he says weights weights weights. Tricep kickbacks, skullcrushers and overhead triceps.. killer, but hoping I'll see some results.

Just make sure your training is balanced and you don't neglect other muscles. Imbalances are no fun and hard to correct.