Cereals Without Sugars

Options
Does anyone know of any cereals in the United States that does not have sugar? Even the granola cereal has sugar! If you can tell me what store you can get it at that would be awesome!

Replies

• Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Why don't you want sugar?
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Do you want cereals with absolutely no sugar at all? I mean, even Bran Flakes and Rice Krispie cereals have 4-5 grams of sugar per serving, even though they taste plain. I looked up no sugar cereals online, and found a few kinds. They seem a little boring, but here they are:
    Post - Shredded Wheat Cereal
    Fiber One - Bran Cereal
    Kashi - 7 Whole Grain Puffs
    Plain Cheerios have 1g of sugar.
    Plain oatmeal usually has no sugar.

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Cereals-Sugar-Free-0-5g/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n:6524561011,p_n_feature_eight_browse-bin:2288334011

Here's where I found the list. I think most of those cereals can be found in store, too. Kroger, Walmart, etc.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Do you mean natural sugars as well? Or just added?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    reneec257 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any cereals in the United States that does not have sugar? Even the granola cereal has sugar! If you can tell me what store you can get it at that would be awesome!

If you want cereal with no sugar, you won't find any because sugar occurs naturally in grains. Even plain oatmeal has 1 gram of sugar.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I eat plain oatmeal. You can get all kinds, from steel cut oats to the kind that cooks in a few minutes to instant. They sell it with sugar and flavors or plain.

The label on my instant oatmeal says it has 0 sugar (I eat instant, don't hate me oatmeal fans).

I never was a big fan of oatmeal, but I've become one -- I add almonds, walnuts, and carrots or a little fruit like apples (which do have some sugar). Oatmeal is a whole grain and nutritious.
  • Treehugger_88
    Treehugger_88 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'll add another vote for oatmeal! For sweetness I usually add a banana, or cinnamon, or peanut butter/cocoa powder with a bit of stevia.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    PennWalker wrote: »

I eat plain oatmeal. You can get all kinds, from steel cut oats to the kind that cooks in a few minutes to instant. They sell it with sugar and flavors or plain.

The label on my instant oatmeal says it has 0 sugar (I eat instant, don't hate me oatmeal fans).

I never was a big fan of oatmeal, but I've become one -- I add almonds, walnuts, and carrots or a little fruit like apples (which do have some sugar). Oatmeal is a whole grain and nutritious.

Then the manufacturer is either
    1) lying;
    2) not putting actual oats in your oatmeal; or, most likely,
    3) taking advantage of laws that allow them to round down to 0 if the serving size is small enough that there's less than .5 g of sugar.

Basic Report: 08120, Cereals, oats, regular and quick, not fortified, dry

Value per 100 g
    Sugars, total g 0.99

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/1847?manu=&fgcd=&ds=
  • earlnabby
    Options

Here is the label for Quaker Old Fashioned Oats. Instant oatmeal is extra processed so it will soak up water faster and is only 28 grams per serving compared to 40 grams for rolled oats. Smaller serving, 1 gram becomes 0 grams. Rolled oats only take 2 minutes in the microwave so I don't eat instant. takes longer to boil water.

Capture%20oats_zpslt59psjz.jpg

• PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options

1) lying;
    3) taking advantage of laws that allow them to round down to 0 if the serving size is small enough that there's less than .5 g of sugar.

Value per 100 g
    Sugars, total g 0.99

I don't want to derail the thread. It doesn't bother me if the manufacturer rounds some tiny number down to zero. I don't know what they do and it is not worth the research.

Like the OP, I wanted a low sugar or no sugar breakfast food (my reason is medical). Oatmeal beats almost everything else on the shelves for my needs.
  • earlnabby
    Options

1) lying;

Value per 100 g
    Sugars, total g 0.99

Or:
    4) the serving size is smaller than the serving size for regular oats
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    McCann steel cut Oatmeal.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

1) lying;

Value per 100 g
    Sugars, total g 0.99

Or:

In what way is your (4) different than my (3)?
  • earlnabby
    Options

1) lying;

Value per 100 g
    Sugars, total g 0.99

I don't want to derail the thread. It doesn't bother me if the manufacturer rounds some tiny number down to zero. I don't know what they do and it is not worth the research.

Like the OP, I wanted a low sugar or no sugar breakfast food (my reason is medical). Oatmeal beats almost everything else on the shelves for my needs.

Yup, oatmeal is good stuff. At the age of 95 my Grandpa was asked what he owed his longevity to and he emphatically said "A bowl of oatmeal every morning!" (I suspect good genes and a lifetime as a dairy farmer had something to do with it too, lol)
  • earlnabby
    Options

1) lying;

Value per 100 g
    Sugars, total g 0.99

Or:

In what way is your (4) different than my (3)?

Mine compares one product with another. Yours is just general labeling laws.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

1) lying;

Value per 100 g
    Sugars, total g 0.99

OP hasn't come back to clarify whether "any cereals in the United States that does not have sugar" means literally no sugar, literally no added sugar, or as little natural sugar as possible and no added sugar.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

If you want cereal with no sugar, you won't find any because sugar occurs naturally in grains. Even plain oatmeal has 1 gram of sugar.

Most cereals are carb based and so will be converted to sugar (glucose) once it is consumed. Either you eat it as sugar or it turns to sugar.

To avoid sugar completely in cereals, you'll need to avoid cereals.

A homemade "cereal" of seeds (chia, hemp, sunflower, pumpkin) and nuts would be pretty low in sugar.
  • reneec257
    reneec257 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am looking for cereal that has no added sugar, I do realize a lot of foods have sugar, like apples. I eat oatmeal almost every day, was just looking for something that doesn't cost $6.00 a box because it is a specialty cereal.
  • reneec257
    reneec257 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Do you want cereals with absolutely no sugar at all? I mean, even Bran Flakes and Rice Krispie cereals have 4-5 grams of sugar per serving, even though they taste plain. I looked up no sugar cereals online, and found a few kinds. They seem a little boring, but here they are:
    Post - Shredded Wheat Cereal
    Fiber One - Bran Cereal
    Kashi - 7 Whole Grain Puffs
    Plain Cheerios have 1g of sugar.
    Plain oatmeal usually has no sugar.

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Cereals-Sugar-Free-0-5g/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n:6524561011,p_n_feature_eight_browse-bin:2288334011

Here's where I found the list. I think most of those cereals can be found in store, too. Kroger, Walmart, etc.

GREAT!!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! <3
  • caitlinj406
    caitlinj406 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Nature's Path make just puffed grain cereals. I've only tried the kamut but I really liked it with some soy milk and fruit. They also have puffed rice and I think I saw puffed millet but that was maybe another brand. They are super cheap too, like $2 a bag.
  • dogsarebears
    dogsarebears Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    There's a brand called Uncle Sam toasted whole wheat berry flakes and flax seed that has less than 1g of sugar per serving