Yoga

Just wondering who here does yoga regularly? I just started doing it and have fallen in love with it! I've been a member of our gym for a few years now (2 or 3) and have always had a problem with staying consistent. I'll go regularly for awhile, then get away from it. I like working out and really enjoyed the team training/small group workouts our gym offered. However, the small groups cost more and I can't afford to pay for them. Anyway, there is a yoga class on Wednesdays and I finally went. I had always wanted to try yoga but always felt intimidated because I didn't feel I could do it. Well, it was not as difficult as I thought it would be! I have gone a few times to the one at the gym, but then last week started doing it at home with Yoga with Adrienne on youtube. I'm doing her 31 Days of Yoga (Revolution). I LOVE IT!! Yes, I still find some poses difficult (I don't have the best balance but it's getting better- I am 54 years old). I have never been a morning workout person. I just have never been able to make myself get up early enough to workout before work. But I actually WANT to get out of bed and do yoga!! It's the first thing I do now, after feeding the cats. I also do it in the evening.
I just love how it makes me feel - physically and mentally. And I can already see changes in my body. I feel stronger, look slimmer. I think I have finally found the one thing I love! I now have to decide if I want to continue my membership at the gym. The yoga class on Wednesdays is ok, but it's so noisy in there, so it's not peaceful and relaxing at all. I'm thinking of see how much it is at the yoga studios in town.
For anyone who does yoga regularly- any tips or suggestions? Things that you have found that have really worked for you- especially in maintaining better balance. The only other thing I have a problem with are my knees. Most things don't bother them, but I do have to be careful with them.

Replies

• Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Almost everyday for me... at first I thought it was dumb but it works. So much more balance flexibility and less injurys
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    I do yoga three times per week and also have to be careful with my knees. What I do depends on the position or pose. For some, like pigeon, there are alternate positions (a good teacher will help you with these), for others, like when you are placing your weight on your knee, you can place a folded blanket or towel under your knees, or use a yoga block under your bumm to take the pressure off your knees when they are in a bent position.

With respect to getting better at balance postures, it just takes time, practice, patience, and being kind and gentle with yourself. That's why it's called a yoga practice, not a yoga perfect. The goal of yoga is not really about achieving "the pose,". It's more about bringing your mind , breath and body together in the present moment and rejoicing in the experience as it is and as you are right now. Enjoy the journey and namaste
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    I love yoga and Pilates (52 YO)....I would say if you aren't sure about your gym but know yoga is something you love, explore other places with more class time options. make a choice that is going to work better for you. Maybe you can see if there are some yelp reviews on gyms or yoga studios around you.

I think for me, consistency has been what has worked and helped me gain flexibility and balance...I love my Tues/Thurs Pilates. go to Yoga whenever I can. It has kept me at my gym for sure!
  • rahulmehta08
    rahulmehta08 Posts: 2,506 Member
    Yoga has many forms, but three basic elements: breathing or "pranayam"; awareness of posture, posture or "asana"; and meditation. Yoga is complex, tolerant, patient, and about connection: your unique connection to your body and your connections to and perceptions of the world around you.

There is no right way to do yoga; there are only correct ways for you to do your kind of yoga practice.
    Yoga is about being aware, taking the time to develop and focus your intent and understand the relationship of your body, brain, and the space around you. It's about learning to read your own body's signals, improve your perceptions and analysis about the world around you, beyond going to the doctor when you get an ouch. Whether you do yoga by sweating like a racehorse and twisting your body into a pretzel, or only by paying attention to your inhales and exhales and counting the seconds of your breath for a few minutes mid-morning in your carrel at work, it's yoga.

Don't ever try a posture that you are uncomfortable with; don't ever let someone else push you into something that you don't want to do; and don't ever think that you have to compete with yourself or others to achieve a posture. Yoga is not ever about competition or feeling the burn. However, a little discomfort is to be expected. Learn the difference between discomfort and pain - there is a huge difference, and most people mistake one for the other, especially when they are new to a practice. Don't let people touch you or make adjustments to your postures if you are not 100% comfortable with their competence; but keep in mind that alignment is critical, and that part of your practice is about recognizing how to adjust yourself and know what proper healthy alignment for your body feels like. It's OK to be inflexible; and many long-time yogis with genius practices can't sit in lotus, or take years to learn how to do a single posture properly. The best thing you can learn through yoga is how to listen to your body, not how to do a standing split; although it's a joy and wonder to see the beautiful results of a long-term practice, and it's a remarkable sense of accomplishment and increased confidence when you first get not just the tips of your fingers but your whole palms on the floor when you are bent over with your legs straight, knees unbent. The balance can set you right, sometimes just for a day and sometimes for the rest of your life.
  • rosiecotton24
    rosiecotton24 Posts: 81 Member
    LeoT0917 wrote: »
    I do yoga three times per week and also have to be careful with my knees. What I do depends on the position or pose. For some, like pigeon, there are alternate positions (a good teacher will help you with these), for others, like when you are placing your weight on your knee, you can place a folded blanket or towel under your knees, or use a yoga block under your bumm to take the pressure off your knees when they are in a bent position.

With respect to getting better at balance postures, it just takes time, practice, patience, and being kind and gentle with yourself. That's why it's called a yoga practice, not a yoga perfect. The goal of yoga is not really about achieving "the pose,". It's more about bringing your mind , breath and body together in the present moment and rejoicing in the experience as it is and as you are right now. Enjoy the journey and namaste

Thank you! I have found my balance is getting better- warrior 3 has definitely become easier to obtain. I will have to get something else to put under my knees.
  • rosiecotton24
    edited March 2017
    suruda wrote: »
    I love yoga and Pilates (52 YO)....I would say if you aren't sure about your gym but know yoga is something you love, explore other places with more class time options. make a choice that is going to work better for you. Maybe you can see if there are some yelp reviews on gyms or yoga studios around you.

I think for me, consistency has been what has worked and helped me gain flexibility and balance...I love my Tues/Thurs Pilates. go to Yoga whenever I can. It has kept me at my gym for sure!

We have a couple yoga studios in town that I am going to check out. I know it will cost more than I pay for my gym membership, but I may try to at least go once a week to one of them. I need to find out when my gym membership is up for renewal and decide if I'm going to continue with it.

• rosiecotton24
    Yoga has many forms, but three basic elements: breathing or "pranayam"; awareness of posture, posture or "asana"; and meditation. Yoga is complex, tolerant, patient, and about connection: your unique connection to your body and your connections to and perceptions of the world around you.

There is no right way to do yoga; there are only correct ways for you to do your kind of yoga practice.
    Yoga is about being aware, taking the time to develop and focus your intent and understand the relationship of your body, brain, and the space around you. It's about learning to read your own body's signals, improve your perceptions and analysis about the world around you, beyond going to the doctor when you get an ouch. Whether you do yoga by sweating like a racehorse and twisting your body into a pretzel, or only by paying attention to your inhales and exhales and counting the seconds of your breath for a few minutes mid-morning in your carrel at work, it's yoga.

Don't ever try a posture that you are uncomfortable with; don't ever let someone else push you into something that you don't want to do; and don't ever think that you have to compete with yourself or others to achieve a posture. Yoga is not ever about competition or feeling the burn. However, a little discomfort is to be expected. Learn the difference between discomfort and pain - there is a huge difference, and most people mistake one for the other, especially when they are new to a practice. Don't let people touch you or make adjustments to your postures if you are not 100% comfortable with their competence; but keep in mind that alignment is critical, and that part of your practice is about recognizing how to adjust yourself and know what proper healthy alignment for your body feels like. It's OK to be inflexible; and many long-time yogis with genius practices can't sit in lotus, or take years to learn how to do a single posture properly. The best thing you can learn through yoga is how to listen to your body, not how to do a standing split; although it's a joy and wonder to see the beautiful results of a long-term practice, and it's a remarkable sense of accomplishment and increased confidence when you first get not just the tips of your fingers but your whole palms on the floor when you are bent over with your legs straight, knees unbent. The balance can set you right, sometimes just for a day and sometimes for the rest of your life.

Thank you! :smile: This was very encouraging. The only discomfort I've ever had is in my knees- and only in certain poses. I just need to adjust a bit and it helps.
  • doglovingrunner
    doglovingrunner Posts: 6 Member
    I go to yoga every Tuesday evening. I love it. Been going now for 3 years. It's my me time and I love it. My balance has greatly improved over the past few years just from keeping at it.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    I do yoga on Sundays. I alternate weight training and Insanity the other days. I love yoga day. It really helps me recover better from the other work outs I do and I have found regular yoga helps me maintain proper form better when lifting preventing injury.
  • Ninjaeema
    Ninjaeema Posts: 21 Member
    I do yoga every day. I'll be 40 in a few weeks, and I've gained so much strength and flexibility from my practice. I follow Yoga with Adriene on youtube. I don't really have the money or the time to go to classes.
  • rosiecotton24
    Ninjaeema wrote: »
    I do yoga every day. I'll be 40 in a few weeks, and I've gained so much strength and flexibility from my practice. I follow Yoga with Adriene on youtube. I don't really have the money or the time to go to classes.

I love Adriene! I am caught up now on the 31 Days of Yoga. But I still want to do it twice a day so I need to find some other videos to follow!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member
    I started taking yoga classes a couple months ago and I love it! No idea why it took me so long to try it. Well, probably because my balance is basically non-existent. So, that's why I'm going: to gain more balance. I'm already flexible but maintaining flexibility is critical to long term health.

Also, my step-daughter is training to be a yoga teacher so I'll take her classes regularly once she gets going.
  • rosiecotton24
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I started taking yoga classes a couple months ago and I love it! No idea why it took me so long to try it. Well, probably because my balance is basically non-existent. So, that's why I'm going: to gain more balance. I'm already flexible but maintaining flexibility is critical to long term health.

Also, my step-daughter is training to be a yoga teacher so I'll take her classes regularly once she gets going.

I've wanted to try yoga for years but was always intimidated because I felt I wasn't flexible enough and was too fat. I love it so much. Hoping to start taking classes at one of the yoga studios in town soon.
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    I go to a yoga class at my gym every Sunday and then practice it at home throughout the week when I can fit it in. The Sunday class helps me feel relaxed and energized all at the same time. It just helps get my week started off on the right foot. Along with meditation, yoga really helps me to relax and center my mind. I think it also helps to stretch my muscles and joints from my weight lifting sessions during the week.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member

I've wanted to try yoga for years but was always intimidated because I felt I wasn't flexible enough and was too fat. I love it so much. Hoping to start taking classes at one of the yoga studios in town soon.

Do it! That's the beauty of yoga: even though it's a class setting it's very individual. It's inspiring to see people of ALL shapes and sizes moving from pose to pose. I struggle and can barely stand on one leg but I keep at it because everyone else there is an inspiration to me.
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Check out the app, Mind Body. It's free and will locate both Yoga and Pilates classes based on your location. A many yoga studios/instructors will also give you a complimentary class to see if you like it, as well.
  • rosiecotton24

Do it! That's the beauty of yoga: even though it's a class setting it's very individual. It's inspiring to see people of ALL shapes and sizes moving from pose to pose. I struggle and can barely stand on one leg but I keep at it because everyone else there is an inspiration to me.

I've taken a few classes at the gym I'm a member at, but it's just not the same. It's way too noisy!! I know the classes at the yoga studios aren't cheap, but I'm trying to decide if I want to get rid of my membership at the gym (depends on when my commitment time is up- I signed up for 3 years). My commitment should be up soon. I would rather spend the money on yoga classes I believe. I've never been a morning workout person but I've been doing yoga every morning for the past two weeks. I actually want to get out of bed to do it!!!
  • rosiecotton24
    LeoT0917 wrote: »
    Check out the app, Mind Body. It's free and will locate both Yoga and Pilates classes based on your location. A many yoga studios/instructors will also give you a complimentary class to see if you like it, as well.

Thank you! Just downloaded it and looks like the one yoga studio near me has a couple deals for new students!!
  • diggydog2
    diggydog2 Posts: 107 Member
    I'm 57 and I'm taking a yoga class for the first time in my life. I love it! I've found some videos on you tube that are perfect for my level and I do those on my off-class days. I just wish I had tried this years ago.
  • rosiecotton24
    diggydog2 wrote: »
    I'm 57 and I'm taking a yoga class for the first time in my life. I love it! I've found some videos on you tube that are perfect for my level and I do those on my off-class days. I just wish I had tried this years ago.

I wish I had started years ago, too! But I think it was because I was always intimidated because I thought it was all these crazy twisted poses, and that you had to be really flexible and skinny to do it! But I guess it's never too late to get started! :)