Activity Level

Options
Hi all! I'm pretty new to the whole calorie tracking world and I was a little confused when I went to input my activity level. I'm a college student with a pretty sedentary day.. the catch is I work out 6 or 7 days a week for a MINIMUM of 60 minutes in each where I'm lifting heavy weights. What do you all think I should I put as my activity level and why?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Base it on what you do without exercise
  • Iwanttolosemymummytummy
    Options
    I'm pretty new to mfp too and I have to admit that this has really confused me. My garmin vivofit tracks my daily steps and I average 14000 steps a day, give or take. I really don't know what I should be putting as activity level either but as a guess I set mine as lightly active. If you don't move much in your average day then you should maybe have it as sedentary? Your 60 minutes workout should be logged seperately. At least that is how I'm doing it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new to mfp too and I have to admit that this has really confused me. My garmin vivofit tracks my daily steps and I average 14000 steps a day, give or take. I really don't know what I should be putting as activity level either but as a guess I set mine as lightly active. If you don't move much in your average day then you should maybe have it as sedentary? Your 60 minutes workout should be logged seperately. At least that is how I'm doing it.

If you can sync your garmin to mfp, set to sedentary. the sync will take care of step calorues, then log your workouts.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

In your case it's a bit different. If you set to sedentary you'll have a lower base calorie goal but a higher adjustment from Garmin. Choose a higher level your goal will be higher and adjustment lower, but it should even out. I'm on lightly active and my Fitbit usually gives me ~400 calories for 10,000 steps.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What do you all think I should I put as my activity level - sedentary
    and why? - "I'm a college student with a pretty sedentary day"

Log your exercise separately, weight training unfortunately isn't a big calorie burner, there's an entry in the CARDIO section of your exercise diary called "strength training" which will give you a very rough estimate based on your weight and METS.