Dairy Free for Beginners

Options
I've been getting migraines which I found out was from my intake of dairy products. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to make the transition to dairy free. Thanks!

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    If you are needing something to fulfill cravings, they have fake cheeses, sour cream, cream cheese, etc, but they are not always terribly healthy. The best way to transition to dairy free is to just stop eating dairy. It's hard at first, because dairy is in so many things. For recipes that usually get milk, like oatmeal, cereal or whatever, there are a variety of nutmilks available; at least one will taste good to you. Personally, i make my own almond milk. It's super easy.
  • CheekyChick121
    CheekyChick121 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Dairy allergy here, This is a pretty easy one now days. I use a lot of coconut milk, little almond, for smoothies. I don't like soy milk. Mayonnaise is not dairy free. You need to google other terms for milk, they have several and it can make it difficult to read labels. I use a dairy free olive oil butter. Kroger has a good selection of dairy free ice cream that's really really good. They also carry dairy free yogurt, I haven't tried it. I can drink goat milk so I use it some for cooking, however sometimes it stinks like a goat! Every batch is different. Goat cheese for cheese cravings. Frozen coffee rich is dairy free creamer, It's good in cereal.
  • ellefox70
    ellefox70 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm dairy free due to intolerances. 4 years in and has honestly changed my life
  • EauRouge1
    EauRouge1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've been dairy free for a few months now. I use almond milk and hazelnut milk (which makes the best hot chocolate in the world!). Also dairy-free cheese. If you can't find many dairy-free cheese near you then there are loads of recipes online to make your own and it's not as hard as you think. If you're in the UK then Sainsbury's new range of dairy-free cheese is really good.
  • aeshippers
    aeshippers Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I've been dairy free for almost 10 years now and find it pretty easy except when it comes to eating out. Milk and butter are easy to substitute (I use almond milk mostly, sometimes coconut or soy and an olive oil based dairy free marg). Yogurt and ice cream I have found to be more tricky but it depends on where you live, I can now get a nice coconut option for both. Cheese I have given up on buying but there are some recipes around for homemade nut cheese that can be quite effective. I have found vegan websites and recipe books to be very useful.
  • ellefox70
    Options
    ellefox70 wrote: »

I wrote a lot more than this (wifi playing up!) Just to say that I experienced some horrible side effects when I first gave it up (full body rash and headaches for around 2 weeks) so might be worth trying to phase out rather than going cold turkey like I did. But totally worth it. There r lots of good vegan blogs u can take ideas from and adapt to dairy free and eating out is easier now due to new food labelling guidance (in the U.K. at least). Good luck with it x

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    It could be that you lack the digestive enzymes to digest the casein the common dairy reaction, or the lactose which is less so. It is also possible that you react to bovine dairy and not all dairy. Goat milk is closer to human natural milk there are several sites which give in-depth reasons for this but basically the fat molecules are finer in goat and the lactose is less. Because the structure of goat dairy is more like what we were first given many issues can resolve. There are other milks, sheep and more.

There is another alternative these days that is to find the appropriate digestive enzymes because when you eliminate all dairy, you also eliminate a very good food because it is designed for offspring and provides all the nutrition needed. I my experience many none dairy replacement products may add calcium and possibly some vitamins, none add iodine which is essential for cell health along with selenium. The daily amount recommended is 150 microns which is equivalent to half a teaspoon per year but this nutrient is vital especially for women. Iodine and other minerals are found in dark green veg (apx 4 micron per 100 g veg) as well as fish but achieving the appropriate levels is difficult especially when keeping to a calorific restriction.

It is always best to have yourself checked out for allergies/intolerances because there can be some underlying cause. I have to confess the NHS testing system failed me twice on the milk thing, achieving a positive conclusion using international labs. There can be a problem with some medications dairy can be added as a filler/binder. I was put onto a pill form levothyroxine and told that my additional symptoms were not possible and to take the stuff anyway. I had to give it up, taking this thing which was making me more ill was not right for me. Even when I had the private allergy tests done my NHS practice was not permitted to use this information, the system did not recognise the better tests!

Hope you find the best resolution for you, that is all that matters, stay healthy. Best of Luck.
  • tgoetschius
    tgoetschius Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I've already been drinking almond milk for about a year now and love it! I think my most difficult challenge is finding more processed food that doesn't contain some type of dairy in them as I am an avid snacker. Any snack suggestions that I can take to classes with me?
  • kelhappy1
    kelhappy1 Posts: 16 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My daughter is allergic to dairy. Her favorite snack is the kids zbars. She likes the chocolate chip the best. Many products are dairy free but you would only know if you read the labels (like certain brands of chocolate cake or brownie mix).
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Coconut milk, almond milk, cashew milk, soy milk, and hemp milk are all wonderful alternatives to cow's milk. Personally I do not like the taste of any of the hemp milks I've tried but others might feel differently. As far as cheese is concerned, there is Daiya vegan cheeses. I'm not a fan of the tastes of any vegan cheeses so I just skip that all together and go without. In restaurants though, cheese has been my biggest challenge. I don't live in a city so vegan friendly restaurants are few. I find I cook at home a lot more. I recommend using Pinterest to search for dairy-free alternatives to your favorite foods. That has been really helpful for me.

As far as snacks are concerned: Luna bars are dairy free I believe. There's always dried fruits, kale chips, etc.
  • ellefox70
    Options
    The Naked range of bars and energy bites are nice for snacking. Not sure what their calorie content is as I haven't had any since I started to try and drop some weight, but suspect it is quite high. Also I'm fine with dark chocolate, as long as it is over 70% cocoa and a little bit goes a long way!
  • ellefox70
    Options
    Oh and apparently Oreos are dairy free! I don't like them so haven't tested it but who knew! Reading the labels is going to be your best bet, you'll soon find stuff which works for u x
  • kitschnkarma1
    kitschnkarma1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Not all the oreo range is dairy free but most are. Also a lot of biscuits are dairy free, just check labels.
  • jasperdog52554
    jasperdog52554 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Dairy allergy here, This is a pretty easy one now days. I use a lot of coconut milk, little almond, for smoothies. I don't like soy milk. Mayonnaise is not dairy free. You need to google other terms for milk, they have several and it can make it difficult to read labels. I use a dairy free olive oil butter. Kroger has a good selection of dairy free ice cream that's really really good. They also carry dairy free yogurt, I haven't tried it. I can drink goat milk so I use it some for cooking, however sometimes it stinks like a goat! Every batch is different. Goat cheese for cheese cravings. Frozen coffee rich is dairy free creamer, It's good in

Mayo is dairy free. It contains eggs but no milk products.
  • nemoskitchen
    nemoskitchen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I've already been drinking almond milk for about a year now and love it! I think my most difficult challenge is finding more processed food that doesn't contain some type of dairy in them as I am an avid snacker. Any snack suggestions that I can take to classes with me?

For dairy free snacks, I'd have:
    Cut apple, Celery, Carrot, Cucumber, bell peppers, any fruit, etc with hummus to dip into.
    Salami, olives, pickles, boiled eggs, avocado/guacamole
    Shredded chicken/tuna/eggs and homemade/dairy free mayo on crackers or lettuce leaf wrap.
    Nuts, seeds, berries with tahini
    If you're allowed grains, then there's a huge selection of crackers and breads you can add to the above too.
    I even used to eat grapes and sliced ham together at one point, but I stay away from meats that are too processed now.
  • annteja
    annteja Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Of you really need substitutes , people before me gave you a lot of ideas but if you don't, just cut them out. I do drink milk here and there (usually so it doesn't go bad) but apart from that I rarely have any dairy products and don't miss them and don't consume alternatives.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Goat milk. Interestingly, allergic reactions to moo juice are usually caused by a protein that doesn't exist in the milk of the devil beast. If it's lactose though, yeah, stick to something like nut milks. I'm more partial to cashew and coconut than almond, and I utterly despise soy milk.
  • EVP_NZ
    EVP_NZ Posts: 117 Member
    Options

I wrote a lot more than this (wifi playing up!) Just to say that I experienced some horrible side effects when I first gave it up (full body rash and headaches for around 2 weeks) so might be worth trying to phase out rather than going cold turkey like I did.

Isthat what's causing my headache?! I've recently gone off dairy and have had an unstoppable headache since the day after quitting. I'm so glad you mentioned this. Now at least I have an idea what's going on.