Depression & Medication

Options
Are there any depression meds that DON'T make you gain 2 lbs a week? I was on amitryptyline 50mg once a day from January through June. I gained 40lbs like nothing.

So I stopped taking it. It's now completely out of my system and I'm back to being close to severely depressed again. I hate having to take medication to get through the day, but I was doing so well emotionally while on it... I just want that stability back. Excercise isn't doing it for me. I keep hurting myself and that is bumming me out even more.

If you have any ideas, please share.... and please don't bash me for needing medication. I just don't need to hear it.

Replies

• RoseBudd85
    RoseBudd85 Posts: 49
    Options
    I am on Lexapro and it hasn't made me gain weight. Of course you have to find something that works for you. :)
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your struggles. I have had depression for 8 years now, but I am fortounate enough that I'm able to manage it by keeping a low stress lifestyle and exercising. I think you need to try and find the one that works best for you. What works for person A may not work for person B. I DO know that I was on Wellbutrin 5 years ago and lost weight on it. They use it to help with cravings and as a smoking cessation aid. Good luck!!!
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    Talk with your doctor about it. Stay on your meds until the doctor changes them.

Here is what I saw on WebMD: Some antidepressants may be less likely to affect weight. Effexor and Serzone generally do not cause weight gain, while Wellbutrin can cause weight loss.

Here's a link to the full article: http://www.webmd.com/depression/features/antidepressants-weight-gain
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I have taken Lexapro w/out any weight gain issues and when that became cost prohibitve, I was switched to Celexa, which I have been taking for 2 years now without any weight gain side effects (and thankfully, it has a generic version and is affordable).
  • MamaKatel
    MamaKatel Posts: 180
    Options
    I totally understand, i've had depression my whole life and exercise has never helped me either. Nor have I ever been on prescription meds. I use natural alternatives that are proven to work just as well as prozac. I have gotten good results with 5-htp and high doses of Niacin, Sam-e is good as well.
  • aejbx4x7s
    aejbx4x7s Posts: 111
    Options
    My best friend lost on Wellbutrin, too. Best of luck with this, I know it can be hard with all the adjustments to the meds especially when trying to lose weight.
  • H2Ologist
    H2Ologist Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm on fluoxetine hydrochloride (generic Prozac) for post pardum depression. It works really well, and one of the side effects for me has been additional weight loss because I have more energy to do things rather than sitting on the couch. I never thought I needed medication, but now that I'm on it, I feel happy again.
  • ebender114
    ebender114 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I take prozac and if anything I think it suppresses my appetite. Good luck.
  • pnwgirl1963
    pnwgirl1963 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi there - You really need to make an appointment and talk to your doctor. Self medicating is not only scary but dangerous. There are medications that don't contribute to weight gain. Going off of an antidepressant on your own is risky, especially now that you are back to square one feeling incredibly depressed.

I am thinking of you, hang in there.
  • mialsya
    mialsya Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Are there any depression meds that DON'T make you gain 2 lbs a week? I was on amitryptyline 50mg once a day from January through June. I gained 40lbs like nothing.

So I stopped taking it. It's now completely out of my system and I'm back to being close to severely depressed again. I hate having to take medication to get through the day, but I was doing so well emotionally while on it... I just want that stability back. Excercise isn't doing it for me. I keep hurting myself and that is bumming me out even more.

If you have any ideas, please share.... and please don't bash me for needing medication. I just don't need to hear it.

I am bipolar 1 (RC/S) and a host of other diagnosis. I completely understand. No one on here, unless they are a licenses psychiatrist, is going to be able to give you advice on this subject. You're going to have to talk to your psychiatrist to see what you can do about this, and make sure you go in with a list of questions and have an actual conversation. Don't let your doctor steamroll you into their opinions. You're the one who has to live with this. You have to stand up and be your own advocate. I recommend, though, that you go get a complete physical with lab panels done to take with you to the psychiatrist so they have a complete image of your current physical state to go off of. It's hard getting medication regulated and you may go through a lot of different doses and combinations before you find something that will work for you without all of the nasty side effects.

Also, what kind of insensitive @sshole would bash someone for this? Anyone that moronic, in my opinion, doesn't deserve to have contact with the outer world. I'm just sayin'...
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on Wellbutrin--the generic--budiprofen?-- not sure of the generic name. It made me feel better and have more energy to get up and DO stuff. It also made me more interested in doing and enjoying the things I had quit doing. I originally took it to stop smoking and the side effect was how much better I felt about life in general! Nothing wrong with admitting when we need a little help. It would probably surprise you at how many folks you know who take even a mild anti depressant. They just don't want to admit it or talk about it. Best of luck to you!
  • BigBadVooDooBob
    Options
    The one thing I've found since being on antidepressants is that it is harder for me stay focused on things such as exercise and weight loss, probably because I'm a lot less wound up about things. This site so far has been a huge help to me as far as watching my calorie intake and it seems less constricting than Weight Watchers. So I guess I would say take one step at a time. Set a reasonable goal for your weight loss and once you hit that, set another reasonable one.

BTW- Don't let anyone rag on you about being on meds for depression. I've been on them for 2 years and wish that I had known about them years ago, it would have saved a lot of heartache. Plus, you'd be surprised at how many people are on them, probably a lot of people you know!
  • coltonsmumma
    coltonsmumma Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I''m asking what people think so I can talk to my Dr. I switched recently and have another appointment next week. I just want to toss out possible options to see what she thinks.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i am on Pristiq. i didn't gain any weight on it.

i have also taken Zoloft and Wellbutrin and lost weight on both.

the only medication i know of that for SURE makes you gain is Seroquel but that is an antipsychotic.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    ALSO, another thought - could you have gained weight because you felt less depressed? sometimes weight loss is a sign of depression (especially without trying) so gaining could be a sign that you have felt more interest in things. just a suggestion from my social work brain!
  • Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    You need to speak to your doctor. What works for someone else may not work for you.
    So I would suggest you book an appointment, tell the doctor what is happening with the pills you are taking and see if there is an alternative.
  • sayambular
    sayambular Posts: 205
    Options
    I know when I started Seroquel I gained 130lbs and eventually was taken off of it and have since lost weight. But for me, I take three medications, Geodon, Pristiq and Abilify. And none of them have seemed to make me gain weight. But that's just what works for me. If it works for you then so be it. But you have to weigh the pros and cons of what your doctor says before you start taking anything as you are probably well aware.

And I agree with another poster, anyone so insensitive as to judge you shouldn't be on this website!
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I hope this doesn't sound silly but have you tried Yoga or Mediation ( a guided- focus meditation). Both can work wonders for depression.

These are all things that I study and are in my field. just wanted to ask
  • jeannette120
    jeannette120 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    "I am not a Dr."

Amitryptyline is a tricyclic antidepressant and those tend to have more side effects as apposed to the new class of drugs which are SSRI's (Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors). I dont know youf medical history or what drugs you've tried before so there may be a specific reason your doctor chose what they chose. Regardless if the side effects are unacceptable you should be able to try something else. I know it took me several tries to find the right combination. Good luck with your doctor appointment! Hang in there!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    It's really common with psychiatric drugs to have to try several different meds before you find one that fits you.

Amitryptiline is one of the least expensive and longest-used and safest drugs commonly tried first.

As you go through different ones, there will be pros and cons. Just keep trying till you find one that fits. Your doctor can help you fine-tune it.

Good luck :flowerforyou: