What can I eat at ony 290 calories?

Options
I had porridge this morning which with all the trimmings came to 453 calories. I'm going out to lunch with friends and know that I'll be having brie and cranberry panini with side salad and crisps. I "estimate" since it's impossible to know for sure that it will come close to 897 (feel free to correct me if you have a better idea how many calories it contains though). This leaves me with only 290 calories left. Any ideas what I can get for that? I don't eat red meat, only chicken, turkey and fish.

Replies

• CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Taking a 30 minute walk will help. How about a shiratake noodle and broccoli stir fry for dinner.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Lots of stuff if you watch portion sizes.
    Tuna, chicken, or turkey sandwich
    Yogurt with granola or fruit
    Cottage cheese
    Oatmeal
    Banana and peanut butter
    Eggs
    Baked potato
    roasted vegetables
    salad
    Lentil soup
    Vegetable soup
    Beans
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    omelette with lots of veg, soup, salad etc

or do some exercise so you can eat more.

or have a less calorific panini?
  • MarvetteF
    MarvetteF Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Roasted veggies. I did brussel sprouts with onions and beets. Lightly coated the sprouts and onions with olive oil and seasoning of choice in a bowl, then rolled the beets around in the residue left. So yummy.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk before dinner to increase your calories or just eat a normal dinner and eat a little less tomorrow or the next couple of day? As long as your total calories for the week is at a deficit one day of eating a little extra is not going to have a huge impact. Also bear in mind that if you're eating less than your maintenance amount you will still be in a deficit.

If I want a filling but low calorie meal I favour Chicken dusted with Thai Spices, I use a little frylight to stop it from sticking to the pan instead of oil and serve it with some Brocoli, comes to about 370 calories.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    What I would do personally with that: a can of tuna with 2 tomatoes, a cucumber, garlic, some lemon juice, dill, and about 1/3 cup of cooked buckwheat groats. It makes a nice salad that has it all for me, the volume, the starch and the protein.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    A frozen dinner equaling 290 calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    A huge chopped salad (that is mostly greens) with a few sliced hard boiled eggs.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Chicken and roasted broccoli
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Any ideas what I can get for that? I don't eat red meat, only chicken, turkey and fish.

Chicken or turkey breast or fish/shellfish plus non-starchy vegetables. Filling and low cal.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Most of my meals come in under 300.

Veg+Meat (watch portions of meat and any added starch)
    Yogurt + Jam + granola/Clif bar pieces
    Cottage cheese + Jam + crackers
    Hard-boiled egg + dijon mustard + crackers
    Soup + crackers
    Peanut Butter + Clif Bar pieces (or granola or other like item)

Examples below:

wdn480qof1jn.jpg

qfgpimdsjsdj.jpg

s87iyabh3736.jpg

zmr2gkwnjrnu.jpg
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    more examples...

4gi2feablivk.jpg

xxfjo2bwxtii.jpg
    (the Brussel sprout calories include added parmesan cheese and drizzled oil; and the rice & beans - ie the starch item- could have been eliminated or reduced).

Also egg salad, tuna salad,..
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I had porridge this morning which with all the trimmings came to 453 calories. I'm going out to lunch with friends and know that I'll be having brie and cranberry panini with side salad and crisps. I "estimate" since it's impossible to know for sure that it will come close to 897 (feel free to correct me if you have a better idea how many calories it contains though). This leaves me with only 290 calories left. Any ideas what I can get for that? I don't eat red meat, only chicken, turkey and fish.

Something high in protein as that breakfast and lunch are low in protein.

I'd be overfull with that lunch and would plan to bring half the panini home and have the rest for dinner with salad and chicken.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Lean protein and steamed or roasted green vegetables.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Something high in protein as that breakfast and lunch are low in protein.

I'd be overfull with that lunch and would plan to bring half the panini home and have the rest for dinner with salad and chicken.

^^^This! That does sound like a big lunch. I nearly always bring half a lunch home for another meal. That would reduce your calories by at least a third and then you could eat it for dinner with some veggies or fruit.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    a McDonald's McMuffin is 290. Also about 200g of chicken and a serving of vegetables is the same. I think a Wunderbar is 230... you have a few options with varying nutrient content and volume, pick your poison.