Been 11 days on a 1200 calorie diet and no weightloss

Options
2»

Replies

• RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    @Look_Its_Kriss fair enough. I'll be more careful with my wording. I really just meant that since she is working out, the scale may not be as reliable as measurements and the way clothing fits. But yeah, it takes forever to gain even a single pound of muscle ( especially at a defecit.) I should have just said, the scale can be unreliable especially when you add fitness into the equation and it can also be bad for your state of mind.. especially, when you weigh in every single day.
  • tazish4200
    tazish4200 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    tazish4200 wrote: »
    @tazish4200

To explain the reason why 2 pounds per week is not a realistic goal for someone your size;

To lose 2lbs per week you need to be able to create a 1000 calorie deficit. People who are morbidly obese or very obese are usually the ones who can successfully do this and the reason why is when someone is very large it takes a lot more calories to maintain their size.

When i was 252 pounds it would of taken 2500 calories per day to keep me that big.

Women need 1200 calories MINIMUM of healthy nutritious foods to be healthy. Going below 1200 is not recommended and can damage your health and your body.

So at 252 pounds if i subtracted 1000 calories from the 2500 calories it would take to keep me big, it would give me a calorie goal of 1500 calories, which as you can see is above the 1200 calorie minimum for nutrition and safe weight loss.

As we get smaller though, our bodies require less calories.

at 135 pounds my body needs 1820 calories to stay this size.
    If i took off 1000 calories at my size that would only leave me with 820 calories. Eating that little as mentioned above is dangerous, i could lose lean muscle, lose all my hair and even damage my internal organs if i ate like that for a long period of time.

MFP will not go any lower then 1200 calories for a calorie goal. So if i ate to 1200 calories that would only leave me with half of that 1000 calories it would take to lose 2 pounds and i would keep stepping on the scale expecting to lose 2 pounds when realistically i would only lose 1..

1 pound per week means that i have less margin of error, so i need to make sure i weigh my food on a food scale, i also need to make sure i use correct accurate database entries for all the foods i eat. I also need to make sure that i am logging exercise correctly AND if i do exercise that i eat 50% of what i burned back.

So if i went for a walk and burned 200 calories i would eat 100 more calories, so 1300 calories instead of 1200 calories.

That's really good info.. but i didnt even lose a pound.. it either was the same weight or like 2 pounds more.. hopefully i lose weight soon :( i am depressed.. do you think i am overweight ? Like really bad? I am 22 and 5'7... weighing 177 pounds.. I just hate the belly i have.. i wannna lose that only.. I stopped sodas and juices 2 months ago.. only drinkin water..

You didn't lose a pound because weight loss isn't linear and its actually perfectly normal for it to sometimes take a few weeks for weight loss to show on the scale. Weight goes up and down. i am 135 pounds, tonight the scale says 142 pounds, yesterday it said 139 pounds, i am not gaining weight, it's just what happens when you eat food, drink fluids, have high sodium days, higher carb days, have a period cause being a woman is just lovely, lots of things make the scale go up and down.

You are far from over weight.
    You do not have a lot of weight to lose and that is going to make weight loss slow, and that sounds terrible its actually good because you want it to come off slow, you need to use this time to learn how to eat properly and maintain good eating habits so that when the weight comes off, you don't regain it.

Fat comes off where it wants to, you can't pick and choose, belly fat is usually the hardest to get rid of.

If the scale going up and down depresses you then you need to either stay off the scale for 1 week periods or download an app for your phone that tracks weight trends and use the information to see how even though your weight is going up and down and up and down that over time, by next month, your weight will have gone down.
    Yeah please open up the dairy and we can try to help? But don't get discouraged. When you're building muscle you can retain water. You should take your measurements with a measuring tape, write them down, and then take them again every month. They'll go down if you're working out even if your weight doesny

Please note the bolded text of your post. You said building muscle.

Maybe I'm not wording it properly- I'm not saying that she is putting on a ton of ,uncle mass but only acknowledging that you can retain water while your muscles heal after a workout http://www.livestrong.com/article/351391-water-retention-in-muscles-after-exercise/. It's a real thing. After I have an intense rock climbing session I'll put on 3-4 pounds of water weight. Same happens if I eat bunch of sodium. I was just telling the OP not to be overly concerned with the scale. She seemed to feel very trapped by a number and was therefore making her feel very defeated and like her efforts were for not. I know that feeling. The scale just isn't the best tool- especially if you're the type of person who is prone to be very self critical and focused on that. I used to freak out every time it would fluctuate from a big meal or a period. No way to live

I am not arguing with you on the water retention caused by healing muscles, but people lurk these forums and i corrected the part where you said gain muscle because people believe they gain muscle when they are losing weight and often use it as a comfort or explanation for their weight either going up or not moving after a long period of time and it's simply not true

Thank u so much kriss.. because of u i will be able to sleep better tonight... thank u so much for takin time out to write so much.. you are the best... this is really helpful...
  • rosiepri900
    rosiepri900 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been on a 1200 cal diet and also gym for 2/3 days a week and at first didnt notice much but after 37 days I have now lost 7kg and still going.
    Keep it up and you'll start to see big changes and feel better :smile:
  • awguy
    awguy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find that when I start a diet, it takes about 2 weeks before the scale starts moving... no need to worry quite yet.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Stop being impatient. You didn't gain the weight in 11 days, don't expect to lose it that quickly.
  • BobbyLively1961
    BobbyLively1961 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You will get there it just takes time