Calories on the menu where you live?

Options
2»

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    It's at some places here (Newfoundland), but not everywhere and not in places I'd expect to have it (national/multinational chains like Tim's).

It's probably making it's way to you sometime soon. I saw it on the menu board at the Tim's by my work (BC).

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Even before it was required in the US it was extremely common in Chicago (where I live). Mostly I go to local restaurants, not chains, so it's meaningless for that, but I occasionally get lunch from one of the chains like Potbelly's or Protein Bar or Hannah's (local chains, I think) or Pret a Manger or Snap Kitchen, etc., and it's really nice for that.

I only get black coffee from Starbucks, so don't really care there, but it's nice to see the calories on the board anyway.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    It's at some places here (Newfoundland), but not everywhere and not in places I'd expect to have it (national/multinational chains like Tim's).

It's probably making it's way to you sometime soon. I saw it on the menu board at the Tim's by my work (BC).

We're half an hour ahead and 20 years behind.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'm also from Ontario and think it's a great idea. It can be a bit frightening looking at how calorie dense some seemingly "healthier" options can be. What kind of salad is 900 calories?! Lol

Oh gosh I know! It's opened my eyes big time, I know when I went to cora's (you know, it's supposedly "healthy") for brunch the other day with the BF we were both shocked at how high the calories were on some of the menu items! Healthy choices my butt :|

Healthy doesn't equal low calorie.
  • PizzaWarrior
    PizzaWarrior Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I know.
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Our Coras still does not have nutritional information, can't even find it on a website. So frustrating.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    LushFix wrote: »
    I'm in Alberta and places like McDonald's and A & w have them. That's all I have seen so far.

starbucks too
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Due to finances we've really cut back on eating out, but I do kill time at Mcdonalds every week while my daughter is at orchestra practice and I've recently noticed calories being listed-love it :)
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

No but since obesity is one of the leading causes of death and the only way to become NOT obese is to eat fewer calories I'd say it's a pretty good start.

• Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    We have it here in NY just about everywhere. It's wonderful.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Lucky. Not a single place has calories on their menu here, and only international chain restaurants like McDonald's have them available on their websites.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It's required in the US...I'm not sure on the number of locations though.

ETA: it's 20 locations or more.

I didn't think this is true so I Googled it. Turns out, you are correct > https://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/LabelingNutrition/ucm248732.htm

All chains had to be in compliance by the past December.