Running when it is hotter than balls

Options
13»

Replies

• TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Have you considered running in the mornings? Not sure where you are - here it's almost 20 degrees cooler in the mornings, but we're up and running at 5 or 6 am. It helps if you have someone to get up with you, it makes it harder to hit the snooze button when you know someone is waiting on you

Yep, me too. I ran at 5:45 this morning, and it wasn't as bad as I feared. :) At night, it seems like all the "sticky" from the day is still in the air, even though the thermometer reads cooler. :)
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    When I was in Tanzania I only managed to run right as the sun was coming up. Try slowing your pace, running at dawn, and for god's sake drink massive amounts of water but also electrolytes. You run most efficiently at about 65 degrees (weird, huh) and once you go above that it your body starts slowing down in order to cool down. Go slow, you're getting a good work out by just not dying!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Just do it.

No tricks, really, it sucks for sure. But, (insert some analogy about slowest gazell and lion, someerether about someone training when you arent and they'll win blah blah blah. :-)

yep.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Hydrate, morning runs before the heat...those have been mentioned. If you can run somewhere where it is shady all day..ie we have a forest preserve nearby. The forest is always shaded for the ground never gets as hot to radiate at you. It always feels a few degrees cooler there. Also I wear a baseball hat when I run. Before the run I drench it in COLD water. I don't worry about pace or speed in the extreme heat and I make sure that if I am running in the neighborhood I either run from park to park (water fountains), or stay within a mile of home in case I start to feel dehydrated and over heated and feel it best to end the run short. Lastly, if I am not certain that I have hydrated appropriately for the heat I run inside.
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    Options
    Hi MisMolly - That's a great question. I live in Orlando, Florida and regularly have to train in the heat. So one thing that I do is to work up to the heat. I start acclimating to it by running shorter runs at first in the late part of the day, say after work, while it's still pretty hot. This lets me build up slowly and get used to how the heat makes me feel. I also take extra electrolytes to make sure that I'm not depleted. Being depleted of electrolytes can make you fatigue really quickly in extreme heat.

With that said, you're gonna sweat a lot, I'm not gonna lie. But you just have to manage it and work up to it slowly. That's my best advice.

Run safe!
    Diane

I'm also in Orlando and run usually around 1pm or 2pm, the hottest part of the day. Yuck! I suppose you just get used to the heat and you forget about it. Plus, the faster you run, the better of a breeze you'll get. LoL. I also have found that running in the heat really helps when I do races in the morning. Getting to run when its not 90-100 degrees outside is a bonus during a race. Like everyone else said, just stay hydrated, I usually down about 20 ozs after a run within minutes.
  • clohessy
    clohessy Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Hotter than hell here, outside of chicago. I always run early morning 5:15. Luckily we have "grass watering" hours 5am til 9am. I make sure I run through as many sprinkles as possible. The water from them was warm though. I take a lot of walk breaks.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have started running with a Camelbak so I can take a sip and avoid that awful dry and gooey mouth and stay hydrated with the extra sweating. I found a sweatband makes it more comfortable too without having sweat running down your temples and in your eyes. I also got a running cap to keep the sun from baking down on my head. All these things help but running when it's over 100 just sucks.
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya. I'm dreading my run tonight. 100 with 100% humidity. I"m a guy and I'm a little uncomfortable running really late like around 10:30 or so we have a couple crack houses near where I run so..........it does help me with my pace though?
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I run with a camelbak and I run slower. Good luck!