Does it matter what time you eat?

Options
I work M-F at 6 AM. Before starting MFP I would have a cup of coffee first thing in the morning and then lunch at 10 or 11. For lunch I would eat 800 or so fast food calories and then around 3:30 or 4 I would eat a snack. Dinner would be somewhere between 7-9 PM. All in all I figure I was consuming around 3000+ calories each day :-(

Fast forward to now where I am eating between 1350-1500 calories each day and eating mostly lean proteins, veggies, fruits and a few fun 'treats' here and there. I'm finding that I'm hungry each morning around 6 where I never was before so I've added breakfast to my daily meal plan. My problem is this; if I eat at 6 AM I'm getting hungry again around 10 AM. I do sometimes take a lunch at 10 but if I actually EAT lunch at 10 then I'm STARVING by 3 PM. If I eat dinner at 3 PM then I'm hungry again around 8 PM.

Yes, I'm eating snacks throughout the day but, I'm still finding that I'm hungry and I want a full meal multiple times a day...UGH. Please help :-)

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    No, does not matter.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Is it a problem for you to eat at 6, 10, 3 and 8? It sounds normal to me.
  • AgidGirl
    AgidGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Is it a problem for you to eat at 6, 10, 3 and 8? It sounds normal to me.

I tried this last week for a few days and I found that I was over-eating...especially at the 8 PM time slot.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Hm. Have you tried prelogging your entire day?
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    No. It doesn't matter what time you eat. If you find yourself getting really hungry in the evenings try saving more calories for the dinner meal or eating more protein or eating a snack like fruit or something low calorie before bed. As long as you stay within your goal for the day you are doing it right.
  • AgidGirl
    Options
    Hm. Have you tried prelogging your entire day?

I'm actually trying that today. I put my foods in last night.
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I used to eat no breakfast like you only a coffee. I found that I needed to eat a bigger breakfast with protein and it took me a while to adjust to that. I wonder what your snacks are because they should have some good protein to tide you over. Take a look at what your calorie make up is (carb, protein, fat) by meal and snack maybe you need to adjust that.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Yeah it matters what time you eat. You eat at the time you're actually hungry. :smiley:
    If you're over eating at 8pm (and/or the other times too), then I'd bring/have specific food for that time/prelog and know that what you eat is what you eat, nothing else (or at least do so knowing what you can eat).
    Are you getting enough fats in your foods? It seems counterproductive (eat fat to lose fat?!) but it can help with satiety. Are you getting fiber in to see if that helps you feel fuller? IE an apple for in between 10 and 3?
  • laceyslabaugh
    laceyslabaugh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I drink an 8oz glass of water at 6am as I'm getting ready for work. I pack breakfast (usually a piece of bread, hard boiled egg and piece of turkey bacon) - heat it up around 8:45ish at work and eat it slowly drinking my coffee and water in-between bites. I try and make my breakfast last 30 min. to eat (working while eating too). I eat a snack around 11 (grapes or carrots) and my lunch around 12:30 and another snack around 3:00 ... dinner is around 5:30-6. I brush my teeth at 8 with my daughter so I don't feel the need to snack when my husband does!
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Doesn't matter. Working the night shift and consuming most of my calories in the middle of the night most nights of the week, I was/am able to work out, eat at a deficit, and I lost 60+ pounds.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    It is a real challenge to eat consistently at 1300-1500. That's why exercise is so important.

It doesn't matter when you eat, I had to stop eating lunch for the most part in order to make dinner last until bed. So I delay breakfast for three hours (coffee upon waking, and lots of water) then I have a 200 calorie snack four hours later, then four hours later a good sized dinner, then bed four hours later. It's a challenge for me to get as low as 1300, that doesn't last for long.

Exercise buys calories and dulls my appetite. Can you fit in a really brisk 20 minute walk during the day? Drink lots of water, too.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    1350-1500 calories each day and eating mostly lean proteins, veggies, fruits and a few fun 'treats' here and there

If prelogging doesn't help, this is where I'd investigate next. Maybe you are eating to few calories. Or maybe you are eating too little fat. Or maybe those small treats add up and stop being fun because they eat up too much of your food budget. If you don't want to increase your calories, you'll have to be very careful when you choose what to eat, to avoid being hungry.
  • shhcher
    shhcher Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Wow! This is my exact problem. I get up at 130am and my bedtime is like 8pmish. My days are long. I have breakfast 3am, lunch 10am then between 2&3 I can eat a horse. I'm nonstop. I haven't found a solution yet but I do try to eat dinner real early. I prepare the families and they eat it later. I'm gonna read all the responses you got here and Maybe I'll get some ideas and hoping something will click. I should just go brush my teeth, I think it would work or take that nap my body is dying for. Keep me posted on what works for you please
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    1350-1500 calories each day and eating mostly lean proteins, veggies, fruits and a few fun 'treats' here and there

If prelogging doesn't help, this is where I'd investigate next. Maybe you are eating to few calories. Or maybe you are eating too little fat. Or maybe those small treats add up and stop being fun because they eat up too much of your food budget. If you don't want to increase your calories, you'll have to be very careful when you choose what to eat, to avoid being hungry.

When treats are no longer treats *insert dramatic music here*
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

After this id the problem isn't solved, I'd consider dropping the snacks for a week or so and see if that helps. Some people find it more satisfying to have larger meals and no snacks than to eat smaller meals and snacks throughout the day.
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I've always heard not to eat before bed or to avoid carbs before bed. That's my weak time, so I set aside a lot of calories for dinner and afterward, and have still been successful.
  • AgidGirl
    Options
    I also think this might be a mental thing too. I never kept food at work so if I was hungry...too bad. Now, I have a full breakfast, lunch and snacks at my disposal. I find myself wanting to eat everything all at once.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Well for me I always eat my dinner by 5pm it works for me! I do eat my breakfast while at work. Lunch is around noon, and I tend to have 2 small snacks before dinner.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    When i get hungry i push it off as long as possible. Try not to eat in the mornings when i can, If i do say i eat at 8 and get hungry at 11...i push it back till 12-1 ....hungry again at 3...push it till 4-5 ..Those few hours difference spread over 3 meals add to the time between another meal. 3-6 hours depending how long you push. And it helps me mentally because im saying yes i can eat, Just not yet.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    OP, how long has it been since you reduced from your previous caloric intake of @ 3000 per day to your current 1350-1500? Did you do it gradually or all at once?