How big would your meal be?

Options
I know this sounds like it should be in Fun & Games but it's a serious question. Below is something I might have for dinner, with weights etc. What I'd like to do is find out if this meal size is 'normal' based on how much other people eat.

Chicken breast (plain - baked) - 150g
Baby potatoes (boiled/steamed) - 200g
Carrots (boiled/steamed) - 120g
Broccoli (boiled/steamed) - 120g

Could people please list the weight of each item they would have? Just these items, forget about calories, just go with what would be 'enough' for you. If you don't mind, please also share your weight to give me an idea of what different sized people feel is enough, compared to me.

I'm 210 lbs and this meal size doesn't leave me feeling satisfied, I want more.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Sounds about right, probably more meat less veg for me tbh!

Eta I'm 134lbs and my calorie goal is net 1600 per day.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I just ate lunch and the grams broke down to this-

(canned) chicken: 242g
    (bagged frozen) California blend veggies (broccoli, carrots and cauliflower): 198g
    white instant rice 46g (uncooked)
    sweet n' sour sauce: 3tbsp
    =486g of food, plus the sweet n sour sauce/559 calories

I'm a 38 year old female/5ft, 6in/current weight 128lbs

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,976 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Well, I'm a woman and at maintenance (goal) 142, and my calories are set at 1500-1600 so I try to spread the calories out over two meals and one small snack.

So considering that you are likely eating more than me, I eat about that amount that you've listed...cut in half. However, I would be adding butter or cheese or some kind of fat to that meal. That's what works for me.

If you're just starting out, give it time. It takes time to become used to eating smaller amounts, but you will get used to it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I wouldn't have chosen exactly that - if baked chicken, I'll have either thighs or wings, or if breast, fried; if boiled potatoes, I'd need some kind of sauce, or at least butter, I normally make mashed potatoes; I'd pick just one veg, and carrot and broccoli are two of the vegetables I eat almost exclusively raw.

But my portions for protein+starch+veg dinners actually match your suggestion:
    Meat/fish normally 150-250 grams.
    Potato/sweet potato around 250 grams, rice/pasta/other grain 50 grams, or an ear of corn.
    Vegetables vary from 20 grams if onion, 65 grams if salad, 100 grams if peas or green beans, 200 grams if grated carrot, 300 grams if oven roasted brussel sprouts or parsnips, or boiled rutabaga or asparagus, or one large or two small artichokes.

I weigh about 125 pounds - at maintenance, calorie intake around 1900, I guess, and I feel like I eat half my calories at dinner (not counting anymore). I think you should have more food than me, maybe 50% more.
  • bikerjoe83
    bikerjoe83 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have chosen exactly that - if baked chicken, I'll have either thighs or wings, or if breast, fried; if boiled potatoes, I'd need some kind of sauce, or at least butter, I normally make mashed potatoes; I'd pick just one veg, and carrot and broccoli are two of the vegetables I eat almost exclusively raw.

Potato/sweet potato around 250 grams, rice/pasta/other grain 50 grams, or an ear of corn.
    Vegetables vary from 20 grams if onion, 65 grams if salad, 100 grams if peas or green beans, 200 grams if grated carrot, 300 grams if oven roasted brussel sprouts or parsnips, or boiled rutabaga or asparagus, or one large or two small artichokes.

I weigh about 125 pounds - at maintenance, calorie intake around 1900, I guess, and I feel like I eat half my calories at dinner (not counting anymore). I think you should have more food than me, maybe 50% more.

I'm not looking for alternative meal ideas, just what size portion people would have with those specific ingredients. I mix things up a lot, I don't really like plain food, but this is just a base example of foods people can easily relate to.

If you had these specific items, how much of each would you need to feel full?
  • ladyannique2017
    ladyannique2017 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bikerjoe83 wrote: »
    I know this sounds like it should be in Fun & Games but it's a serious question. Below is something I might have for dinner, with weights etc. What I'd like to do is find out if this meal size is 'normal' based on how much other people eat.

Could people please list the weight of each item they would have? Just these items, forget about calories, just go with what would be 'enough' for you. If you don't mind, please also share your weight to give me an idea of what different sized people feel is enough, compared to me.

I'd have
    Chicken breast - 100g
    Baby potatoes- 100g
    Carrots- 50g
    Broccoli-50g

Because I'd want room for dessert! (Usually assorted fruit and berries with plain yogurt)
    I'm on 1400cals a day, maintaining weight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

For me usually 100-150 g of meat (closer to 150 if it's leaner, more like 100 g if higher cal), about 300 g or so of vegetables, usually 2-3 different kinds, and 70-100 g of starch (so potato or sweet potato or more like 45-56 g pasta/rice uncooked, but that increases in size when cooked).
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

I'm not looking for alternative meal ideas, just what size portion people would have with those specific ingredients. I mix things up a lot, I don't really like plain food, but this is just a base example of foods people can easily relate to.

I understand what you are asking, I'm not trying to be difficult... but I just wouldn't have chosen that meal/hadn't been full from that meal if that was the only option, I'd be"full" maybe even before I could finish it, but not satisfied.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

But if the benefit is to help you, how does putting in a fictitious meal help you? If that meal is comparable to a meal you have with around the same amount of calories, and you are at the amount of calories you are eating for the day, how would this help you? Maybe you would benefit from advice on what to substitute for you. If you're not at your calorie allotment for the day, and you aren't feeling full from this why don't you add more calories to your meals, or ask what some people might use to help them feel full.

I think there needs to be more context to this, because the size of the meal one person eats isn't going to be the same as the next person because of goals, and eating habits. You would need to know who many calories they are allowed a day, how many meals a day they eat, how many snacks they eat, are they supplementing with protein shakes or anything like that so maybe they have less meat at their meals.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I have a dinner that resembles the amount you describe, gets me to about 500 calories for that meal, and as part of a daily target of 1600-1700 calories, does quite well at satisfying me until bedtime. I usually have 200-300 calories left over and fill those with a variety of discrete snacks after dinner.

If I'm planning to workout after dinner, I use those remaining calories as a 50% fat meal after my workout, by cutting a 30 g piece of bread off my homemade loaf of wheat bread with flax and chia and spreading 30 g of peanut butter on it. That's a recent introduction because I learned that EPOC can extend many hours if workout is followed by a 50% fat meal. That was in the context of a HIIT workout.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I don't know grams from ounces. I'll have to calculate those amounts and get back to ya.

Okay - 3 to 4 ounces of chicken is a serving for me, so...
    Chicken breast - 113g, rarely more than that in one serving.
    Baby potatoes - closer to 100g
    carrots - easily 150g, I can eat a whole damn bag, I love cooked carrots!
    broccoli - 120 is probably average for me - I try to eat as much as I can.

I would be plenty full after this meal.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    So for example, if that meal was for my lunch today, and just today only it would be

chicken 280g
    potato 100g
    carrots - 0g
    broccoli - 0g

If it were for dinner tonight it would be

chicken 140g
    potato 70g
    carrots - 130g
    broccoli - 0g
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Sticking to your items, it would look something like this for me:

Chicken - 250g
    Potatoes - 150g
    Carrots - 0g
    Broccoli - 0g

More than likely, that would not leave me full. But I'm not sure I could choke down much more than that of those items plain. Put some butter on the potatoes and sure. Put some seasoning or BBQ sauce on the chicken and maybe. But plain, no way.

And I don't eat carrots or broccoli, but you specifically asked about those specific items, so...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Honestly... It totally depends on how hungry I am and the time of the month, lol.

But I'd go with

Chicken breast (plain - baked) - 100g
    Baby potatoes (boiled/steamed) - 150g
    Carrots (boiled/steamed) - 100g
    Broccoli (boiled/steamed) - 50g

I'm 5'5" and 140 lbs.

I'd probably have to add something to the potatoes though so it's not too bland. But in an average day that would probably fill me up for a few hours... not sure it would satisfy me though unless the chicken is very well seasoned.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options

That's close to what I would eat. Except you are missing fats. I'd add a good chunk of avocado or a few fist fulls of almonds.

I'm 5'8" 172

The thing with those choices though... you will be hungry again shortly.

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I'd be 200g chicken and depending on the veg maybe 170g green beans but not carrots kids thing. I'd also probably have 1/2 an English muffin on the side too. If I'm not terribly hungry I'll eat 150g chicken but keep the rest the same
  • bikerjoe83
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »

But if the benefit is to help you, how does putting in a fictitious meal help you? If that meal is comparable to a meal you have with around the same amount of calories, and you are at the amount of calories you are eating for the day, how would this help you? Maybe you would benefit from advice on what to substitute for you. If you're not at your calorie allotment for the day, and you aren't feeling full from this why don't you add more calories to your meals, or ask what some people might use to help them feel full.

I think there needs to be more context to this, because the size of the meal one person eats isn't going to be the same as the next person because of goals, and eating habits. You would need to know who many calories they are allowed a day, how many meals a day they eat, how many snacks they eat, are they supplementing with protein shakes or anything like that so maybe they have less meat at their meals.

Woah there - slow down a little. I'm not asking for advice, this is just a casual question out of my own general interest of what people conceive as a 'normal' sized meal. Maybe I've posted this in the wrong section.

The meal is real, I said I might have it for dinner, I will be having it for dinner this week. Even if I'd made it up, people can still answer the question. I could've picked anything, I eat lots of different things.

I don't need to know anything more about people's diets to satisfy my inquisitiveness.
  • bikerjoe83
    edited March 2017
    Options
    JB035 wrote: »

That's close to what I would eat. Except you are missing fats. I'd add a good chunk of avocado or a few fist fulls of almonds.

I'm 5'8" 172

The thing with those choices though... you will be hungry again shortly.

A couple of people have said fats are missing. I may be wrong in presuming you're from the States, but in the UK, we don't tend to see fats as something to have with a meal, unless fats to you is something else to me - is this just something to add as a benefit to the diet or generally is adding fats a done thing in the US? Outside of my diet, I'd most likely add a heap of stuffing, some gravy, maybe a bit of bread sauce, probably a few onion rings (not fried).
  • bikerjoe83
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far. Reading them and writing/deleting/rewriting replies has taken my mind off food for nearly an hour, despite the topic!

It's interesting how many people wouldn't be keen on the plain chicken. I love it plain, I like to taste the chicken. Adding bacon/cheese just takes the taste away for me.