Has anyone tried any cleansers?

Options
Anyone tried and cleansers. They have them in pill form and drink mix. I want to try one, but don't know which one I should try. Please help. =)

Replies

• peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I personally would leave that stuff alone. If you want a good clean out, use metamucil or benefiber. The Metamucil is better for a good clean out, but you have to make sure you are drinking alot, and I do mean alot of water with it. All those colon cleansers are chemicals and they are not really good for your kidneys. I've heard of people going into kidney failure using those things.
    If you choose to do the coloncleanser, just please be careful.
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I have done detoxes, but not cleansers. The detox I did was 100% natural and you could still eat normally.
    7 day cleanse by arbonne...
    It also didn't make me sick at all, but still make a huge difference in my jeans- and never came back =)
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    i would nto use any of the cleasners but if you really want to get cleaned out I was say just try a bottle of Magnesium Citrate by the latitives in the grocery store
  • MelissaCagle
    MelissaCagle Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I will look into that. :smile:
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I prefer a natural cleanse. I will do a cleanse for a few days (2-4) where I have nothing but fruit, veggies, and nuts-mostly, if not all-raw. Smoothies in the AM and early PM will look [something] like this:

1 c. frozen blueberries
    1/2 c. frozen mixed berries or strawberries
    1/2 c. orange juice
    2 c. raw baby spinach
    3 oz. baby carrots
    1 tsp of ascorbic acid (vitamin C powder)
    2 TBSP ground flax seeds (sometimes)
    1 TBSP agave nectar (sometimes)
    enough water for whizzing.

These are really good. I feel amazing when I do my cleanse. I'm actually due for another one, so I'll be doing it soon.

Anyhow... then for dinner, I'll have some fresh broccoli, berries, etc. Once in a while I'll have steamed edemame with no salt.

For snacks, I'll have raw almonds or raw cashews. Those are my favorites. You could go with raw pecans, walnuts, whatever you like. :)

I can usually tell when it's time for a cleanse because I'll start to feel more sluggish. These wake my body up. Also-don't worry about "sugar" overload. I monitor my sugars closely (one hour and two hour postprandial), and my levels are lowest during a fruit cleanse than when I eat regular foods...
  • MelissaCagle
    Options
    I prefer a natural cleanse. I will do a cleanse for a few days (2-4) where I have nothing but fruit, veggies, and nuts-mostly, if not all-raw. Smoothies in the AM and early PM will look [something] like this:

1 c. frozen blueberries
    1/2 c. frozen mixed berries or strawberries
    1/2 c. orange juice
    2 c. raw baby spinach
    3 oz. baby carrots
    1 tsp of ascorbic acid (vitamin C powder)
    2 TBSP ground flax seeds (sometimes)
    1 TBSP agave nectar (sometimes)
    enough water for whizzing.

These are really good. I feel amazing when I do my cleanse. I'm actually due for another one, so I'll be doing it soon.

Anyhow... then for dinner, I'll have some fresh broccoli, berries, etc. Once in a while I'll have steamed edemame with no salt.

For snacks, I'll have raw almonds or raw cashews. Those are my favorites. You could go with raw pecans, walnuts, whatever you like. :)

I can usually tell when it's time for a cleanse because I'll start to feel more sluggish. These wake my body up. Also-don't worry about "sugar" overload. I monitor my sugars closely (one hour and two hour postprandial), and my levels are lowest during a fruit cleanse than when I eat regular foods...
  • MelissaCagle
    Options
    Thank you so much I will try this.
  • MelissaCagle
    Options
    Thank you so much I will try this.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    'Cleanse' at your own risk... I would however seriously advise against buying any pharmaceutical products for this purpose...

No proof ever anywhere that cleanses work.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    my husband and i both did joe christiano's inner out colon cleanse at the beginning of the year. http://www.bodyredesigning.com/store2/index.php?l=product_list&c=6

i don't know if it is related or not, but i can't think of any other variables... i HAD horrible pain due to fibromyalgia. since this cleanse i have been pain free for 7 months!!! that may not sound like much to some, but i've had chronic pain for almost 20 years. when i was in middle school (before people knew about fibromyalgia) i would finish a basketball game and not even be able to climb the stairs to go to bed at night.

it also cleared up my nasal congestion! (this came back as soon as i started eating normally again. hmmm... dietary allergies? maybe? or maybe the supplements helped while i was taking them?)

anyway, i would say this was def. worth it to me (a skeptic)

i tried the arbonne cleanse once and all it did was give me horrible stomach pains for 4 days. needless to say, i stopped!
  • MelissaCagle
    Options
    Thank you everyone that acually replied with a helpful answer.
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    they just dehydrate you and they are very dangerous.......no recommendation here
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I really thought this was going to be about cleaning. I'm not sure why I clicked on it though, because either way, I have no good advice whatsoever.

Good luck!
  • hazelbliss6
    hazelbliss6 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    The best way to cleanse your body is to eat healthy foods with plenty of water. That is all you need.

Your liver, kidneys, colon, and many other working parts all 'cleanse' on a regular basis. It can in fact be harmful to do any kind of artificial 'flush' and can even cause permanent damage. I recommend not messing with the stuff.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Put me in the hospital for a week with inflamation of the liver. Not including the 2 weeks I suffered with the symptoms before I went to the doctor. I thought I was dieing.

Jaundice
    Nausea
    Orange Urine
    Headache constant
    Extremely Tense Muscles
    Tired
    and other things to gross to mention
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    The best way to cleanse your body is to eat healthy foods with plenty of water. That is all you need.

Your liver, kidneys, colon, and many other working parts all 'cleanse' on a regular basis. It can in fact be harmful to do any kind of artificial 'flush' and can even cause permanent damage. I recommend not messing with the stuff.

To the OP - ^^This. Seriously. The cleanse/detox products are a waste of money. The only time a cleanse should be used is when it's directed by a doctor in preparation for certain medical tests/procedures.

If you want it put another way, here's a post from SHBoss1673 from this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/294386-detoxifying-your-body
    so I asked about this exact situation before. I asked a gastroenterologist (a colon and intestine guy essentially) and I paraphrase what he said back.

He said: No, cleanses don't clean anything out of your colon or intestines, if you have stuff in there that shouldn't be, you're sick, and you'd know it real fast. The inside of your colon when you are otherwise healthy, will be pink and slick. The only thing a cleanse will do there is strip your digestive tract of necessary bacteria and micro-fauna that aids in digestion.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I do, the best thing on this planet!!! A family friend makes it, Amy's herbal tea. Look for yoursefl! It's awesome!

http://www.amysherbaltea.com/

Btw it's 100% organic made from fruits!

Just fyi, this tea works for me. I don't expect anyone to agree with me. And I know many people drinking the tea that rave about it.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,
    let's please keep the content "on topic". The OP is looking for genuine advice so let's keep it at that.

Cheers,
    Ms_Natalie

MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator :flowerforyou:
  • MelissaCagle
    Options
    Thank you.