Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Genetics and weight

Options
JustDoIt987
JustDoIt987 Posts: 120 Member
edited March 2017 in Debate Club
Hey guys ! Sorry for asking another question , but today a friend of mine said '' I can never be slim , my parents are both big boned''
My question is : Do genetics determine your weight ?
If someone's 'natural weight' is 130lbs , can they get to a lower weight and healthily maintain it ?

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If it did, the only way I would've lost weight is to develop a life-threatening illness.
  • isabellapanzica9387
    isabellapanzica9387 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I agree that we learn alot of are eating and fitness habits from our parents. Then those eating habits contribute to a persons health and weight. Also I was watching this very interesting ted talk on obesity and people's knowledge on food by Jamie Oliver. Link is below if anyone is interested.
    https://www.ted.com/talks/jamie_oliver
  • ladyannique2017
    ladyannique2017 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think there is a genetic component to body type/weight. There are people who are predisposed to be slim and willowy and others that are predisposed to be stocky and muscular. Thats why there is such a wide range of "normal" BMIs. I don't think that genes can cause obesity though because that is an extreme, just like genes can't cause someone to be underweight. IMO, so long as we are healthy, we will all fall within the normal range but by under eating or over eating we end up outside that range. Unfortunately, it takes a lot more effort and time to kill yourself by over eating and not so much to kill yourself by under eating. That's why we see so many overweight or obese people around. They're slowly dying. That's not to say there aren't other causes of being overweight like pituitary tumors, thyroid issues, medications, injuries, etc. But again, the caveat is so long as we are healthy, we'll fall into normal range. Being ill can make you under or over weight.

I also agree that the way someone is raised can have an impact on weight through good or bad eating habits.
  • yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I wouldn't say determine, but greatly influences. However no one is genetically predisposed to be 45% bodyfat.
    If someone's 'natural weight' is 130lbs , can they get to a lower weight and healthily maintain it ?
    They can (not the same as will), they might be miserable doing it. As to whether it can be healthily maintained, that's too individualistic to answer.
  • krisb1701d
    krisb1701d Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    http://www.shiftn.com/obesity/zoom-map.html

You can see here an old map of some of the 100s of societal, neurological and physiological factors that influence obesity. Since then further research into the microbiological and bacteriological processes means that anyone here saying anything about the relation of someone's epigenetic predisposition to obesity is ignorant at best.

This is a huge area of research and it is entirely possible that someone can be overweight and have very little control over it, regardless of their understanding of calorie deficit. Bacteria outnumber our cells ten to one, and if the drive you to eat... There is little you can do in the short term to combat that.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I will tell you what I think after watching my mother-in-law confinded to her bed and wasting away for 2 years. She had always been a little plump and became skin and bones. It really impressed me that it's all CICO. She had trouble swallowing and couldn't eat enough.
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Both of my parents (and my brother) are "big" in every sense. Tall, heavy etc. I'm 5ft tall and was a heavy teen, but lost the weight. My point is I wasn't heavy cos of my genetics, I was heavy cos all I ever knew was big portions of convenience foods. To me a chicken breast was healthy, even covered in cheese, oil and breadcrumbs cos it was chicken, right??
    I think it's a case of learned behavior. If your parents only show you unhealthy foods for the 1st 20 years of your life, its a hard one to unlearn.
    Also trying to match my family's portion sizes. they are all 5ft 9 or over, they carry their weight different!
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Hey guys ! Sorry for asking another question , but today a friend of mine said '' I can never be slim , my parents are both big boned''

Your friend's statement is self-defeating, and to let that define him/her is a mistake.
    Your friend says "I can never be slim"; I say, "Not with that attitude." And therein lies exactly what needs to change: your friend's attitude (and maybe a few habits).