Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Genetics and weight

Options

Replies

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    If that were true - I'd not been able to get to the point where I am now (nearly middle of my healthy BMI)
    I was always told, and believed, and said I could not loose the weight round my legs that was genetic. guess what? As of entering the healthy BMI range I am loosing from my thighs, less, butt and knees. There is other shred fat available, my body will use it, but it is the very last place it wants to move fat from storage from.

It is always possible
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    It's the availability of food. If you give an animal too much food it will get fat, unless it's very active. We are no different.

Not sure, we have two dogs who are each about 50 pounds at a healthy weight, and they play with each other and walk with us, so are about equally active. Well, if anything the girl is more active because she'll go back and forth between windows to look for squirrels all the time while the boy naps. But somehow the girl will gain weight more easily and has to eat slightly less. It's weird.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think it's more learned behavior...someone coming from an obese household is more likely to be obese because they've taken on similar eating habits and attitudes towards food and exercise (or lack thereof). If you grow up thinking sitting on the couch and watching t.v. while eating pizzas and drinking Big Gulps is normal, that's probably what you're going to do.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Genetics don't let you violate the laws of physics, contrary to popular belief.

I don't think anyone is suggesting genetic components violate the laws of physics. Genetics, however, can influence unconscious (instinctual) behavior. Some people are wired to be "movers" and others aren't. NEAT (calories used during non-exercise activity) increases by differing amounts during calorie surplus. One person may be prone to larger decreases in NEAT during calorie restriction than the next person. Restrict them both by 500 calories/day for a month and, with identical diet and exercise plans, the one who maintains a higher NEAT will lose more. The physics aren't changing, the pressure to preserve mass is just more prominent in some people than others.
  • travelher
    travelher Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, genetics definitely do play a role in weight, they actually have identified the "fat" gene(s). But generics are just one factor. Those people with the fat gene will have to work harder, be more fastidious than people who don't. Judging from relatives does not mean you carry the fat gene, it could mean a family learned eating style of atrocious eating habits. My mother-in-law eats a healthy diet, exercises and eats around 1200. calories a day...she is morbidly obese...fat gene. There are people with severe food addictions who may not have the fat gene but are eating 20,000 calories a day...they will be obese no matter what...
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Eskimo bodies evolved to be short and round to retain heat. Sudanese bodies evolved to be tall and thin to survive in the heat and the humidity. We inherit a genetic disposition, AND tend to eat like our parents. BOTH of these things make us resemble them. However, twins separated a birth tend to look like their ADOPTIVE families. This demonstrates that obesity can be defeated with eating for strength and exercise, but it would be very difficult for Eskimos to become very thin.

What? So if I want red hair I should have been adopted by gingers?

This is not how evolution works. Genetic factors enable a population to be more successful at adapting to specific circumstance.

You are confusing behavior with genetics.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Eskimo bodies evolved to be short and round to retain heat. Sudanese bodies evolved to be tall and thin to survive in the heat and the humidity. We inherit a genetic disposition, AND tend to eat like our parents. BOTH of these things make us resemble them. However, twins separated a birth tend to look like their ADOPTIVE families. This demonstrates that obesity can be defeated with eating for strength and exercise, but it would be very difficult for Eskimos to become very thin.

I dunno--if those Eskimos went to live in Sudan........
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    My Nutrition teacher (who has her degree in exercise physiology) believes someone can be healthy/athletically fit/metabolically normal and still be overfat. I would say it is normally an excuse but she says there are some people whose bodies are just really good at storing fat. Twin studies have shown that genetics can play enough of a part that fat-prone children will still weigh more than their peers when they are adopted by a normal weight family.

Having a larger frame would mean your 'ideal weight' is a little bit higher but it isn't like we're talking about 30 lbs higher. The difference between medium frame and large frame is only like 10 lbs, and it is likely at least some of that is going to muscle and bone mass.

Perhaps she is correct for a 20 year old but perhaps not so much for a 70 year old.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    krisb1701d wrote: »
    Bacteria outnumber our cells ten to one, and if the drive you to eat... There is little you can do in the short term to combat that.
    This is not true, the ratio is closer to 1:1
    http://www.nature.com/news/scientists-bust-myth-that-our-bodies-have-more-bacteria-than-human-cells-1.19136

Interesting paper, thanks for that. While his findings are still under review it does note that there is still a higher concentration in the gut. I believe the point about the GI microbiota driving us to eat still stands.

At this time, some correlations between gut bacteria population and weight/obesity have been found, but I believe it would be a drastic overstatement of the evidence to date to suggest that there is causation of any sort causing folks to overeat. Folks who are overweight also tend to eat more/differently and be less active. My gut ( :D ) feeling is the causation is likely the other way and the differences in bacterial populations found is due to the lifestyle differences that lead to obesity.
    Bacteria outnumber our cells ten to one, and if the drive you to eat... There is little you can do in the short term to combat that.
    This is not true, the ratio is closer to 1:1
    http://www.nature.com/news/scientists-bust-myth-that-our-bodies-have-more-bacteria-than-human-cells-1.19136

Interesting paper, thanks for that. While his findings are still under review it does note that there is still a higher concentration in the gut. I believe the point about the GI microbiota driving us to eat still stands.

At this time, some correlations between gut bacteria population and weight/obesity have been found, but I believe it would be a drastic overstatement of the evidence to date to suggest that there is causation of any sort causing folks to overeat. Folks who are overweight also tend to eat more/differently and be less active. My gut ( :D ) feeling is the causation is likely the other way and the differences in bacterial populations found is due to the lifestyle differences that lead to obesity.

Since the gut is about 80% for our immunity system we are well or sick based on the health of our gut. Long term inflammation (CRP test scores) is the only main factor in developing health issues that can lead to premature death in humans. Any cause of inflammation may start a fire the will burn us to the ground.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Wrong link
  • BeauNash
    BeauNash Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I think it's somewhat foolish to completely disregard genetics, it's just that we can't do anything about our genetics.

But to say they don't play any role is not accurate, IMO.

Just for one of many examples, differences in rates of weight gain in overfeeding trials seem pretty suggestive that people have varying responses to NEAT upregulation as a compensatory response to being over-fed.

Of course, this isn't me saying that there is a singular cause of obesity, but it's myopic to think that genetics are irrelevant.

To add to this... Whilst in our recent history, there were situations where people ended up emaciated (you know what I'm talking about here), no-one has ever said that they progressed to emaciation at the same rate.

• jayv85
    jayv85 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Build I would say is genetic. Weight isn't. Don't use genetics as an excuse as to why you're over weight and can't lose it. It won't help you on your journey.

Now health issues is a different story. I have a nephew with a rare metabolic disorder and he has to drink special formula every day,which is high in calories, and eat a certain amount so he's a little over weight. But it's either that or he could die, and I'd rather he be around.