Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Genetics and weight

Replies

• krisb1701d
    krisb1701d Posts: 3 Member
    krisb1701d wrote: »
    Bacteria outnumber our cells ten to one, and if the drive you to eat... There is little you can do in the short term to combat that.
    This is not true, the ratio is closer to 1:1
    http://www.nature.com/news/scientists-bust-myth-that-our-bodies-have-more-bacteria-than-human-cells-1.19136

Interesting paper, thanks for that. While his findings are still under review it does note that there is still a higher concentration in the gut. I believe the point about the GI microbiota driving us to eat still stands.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    My Nutrition teacher (who has her degree in exercise physiology) believes someone can be healthy/athletically fit/metabolically normal and still be overfat. I would say it is normally an excuse but she says there are some people whose bodies are just really good at storing fat. Twin studies have shown that genetics can play enough of a part that fat-prone children will still weigh more than their peers when they are adopted by a normal weight family.

Having a larger frame would mean your 'ideal weight' is a little bit higher but it isn't like we're talking about 30 lbs higher. The difference between medium frame and large frame is only like 10 lbs, and it is likely at least some of that is going to muscle and bone mass.
  • BeauNash
    BeauNash Posts: 103 Member
    edited March 2017
    There is more and more evidence that there is a genetic component to weight gain/obesity (e.g. this paper published this month).

The exact magnitude of the contribution is unknown and even if it is quantifiable, is likely to be small. But that's not to say that it will be easy - we'll just have to work a bit harder at CICO and perhaps have to put up with more bumps and stalls along the way. Sound familiar?

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Having a larger frame would mean your 'ideal weight' is a little bit higher but it isn't like we're talking about 30 lbs higher. The difference between medium frame and large frame is only like 10 lbs, and it is likely at least some of that is going to muscle and bone mass.

What I've read is that it can be up to 10% difference. So, for me, that would mean the top end moves from ~ 180 to ~200. But, I do know my current goal of 220 is still overweight.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I was slim my whole life, and started gaining weight at around age 39-40. Can i blame genetics or big boned and/or having a large frame??
    I'm more inclined to blame my inability to stop stuffing food in my mouth, lack of willpower and an "i dont care" attitude. .

Chances are high that if the parents are obese, their kids will follow suit. They don't know any better, nor were they taught a healthy lifestyle from birth. Eating to the point of obeseness is their normal.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    It's the availability of food. If you give an animal too much food it will get fat, unless it's very active. We are no different.
  • bikerjoe83
    bikerjoe83 Posts: 61 Member
    I don't think you can just say my parents are big so I will be too. My mother's side of the family are all overweight and there's a lot of them! But only because they're all lazy and eat crap. My father's side are mostly slim. My father has never been overweight as far as I can remember. I seem to have inherited my father's build (wide shoulders slim waist) but my mother's ability to eat huge amounts of crap - not sure if the latter is genetics. I'm overweight now but not yet classed as obese, never have been. My two siblings are well into being obese and getting bigger. I seem to be a lot more like my father than they are, but I also have a different way of thinking to them - is this genetics, or just self-mental conditioning?

As others have said, my opinion is that it's probably more likely to copy family traits rather than genetically inherit them. If I ate what my mother ate, I'd probably be obese too. My siblings take after my mother, I take after my father, but surely that's choice. My siblings can't possibly be genetically swayed to eat crap, surely they just choose to copy what they think is 'normal'?
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    It's the availability of food. If you give an animal too much food it will get fat, unless it's very active. We are no different.

This is rather simplistic.

Sure, readily available food and never having to go without is a factor in obesity. It's not the only one though.

And there are plenty of people living in an abundant, first world environment who maintain healthy weight without being 'very active'.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Over half of my immediate family is overweight or at least they struggle to keep weight off. My father,one of my sisters,and I,are/were the opposite and struggle to put weight on. I grew up in the 50s and 60s and we all had the same diet. The difference was in the amount we ate. The thin ones like me tend to eat smaller portions,only eat when we're hungry,stop eating when we're full and rarely snack in between meals. And we tend to be more active.(In my recent efforts to gain weight,I've had to reverse those habits) So in my experience,yes genetics may play a part but it's eating and exercise habits that have shaped me and my family.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    Getting overweight/obese is a LEARNED behavior for the most part. In some cases genetics does play a part, but it's due more to HEALTH ISSUES and not how one is built, framed, height, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png