What Am I doing wrong

Options
I have been following my calorie intake, increasing my water, and exercising. However, I stepped on the scale and it said I gained weight. Why is this happening? My workouts have included walking, weight lifting, squats, crunches, lunges, etc. Is there anything I can do to make the number go down?

Replies

• LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I personally don't weigh my food, but I've read threads where people think it's amazing. Do you weigh your good? If not you could possibly be over-eating and not realize it.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Is the exercise new? Could be water retention. How's your logging? Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. Are you using your food scale for ALL solids? Measuring cups/spoons for all liquids? Using accurate entries? Accurately determining the exercise calories you eat back? Logging everything that passes your lips?
  • BonnieDundee78
    BonnieDundee78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    High sodium in your diet.
    Ovulaton.
    Constipation.
    PMS.
    Water retention following a new exercise regime.

These are all reasons why you might see a temporary increase on the scales... but if you're genuinely creating a calorie deficit, your weight will go down. Have faith.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I usually don't see a loss once I start ovulating/pmsing. I'll get a "woosh" loss a few days into my period and I'll see a small one for the 2 weeks before ovulation again. So in a month, I only see losses twice generally. Every other time it's a gain due to hormones/water retention.
  • alyssag2011
    alyssag2011 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bermequeen wrote: »
    I have been following my calorie intake, increasing my water, and exercising. However, I stepped on the scale and it said I gained weight. Why is this happening? My workouts have included walking, weight lifting, squats, crunches, lunges, etc. Is there anything I can do to make the number go down?

If you've just started this recently then you're probably gaining muscle right now. Give it a few weeks, you'll notice changes.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss isn't linear, we say that because there are a lot of things that can impact your weight - the list @BonnieDundee78 gave you is a pretty good one. Is this the only time you haven't seen weight loss, or how long has it been since you've seen an actual loss?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    bermequeen wrote: »

If you've just started this recently then you're probably gaining muscle right now. Give it a few weeks, you'll notice changes.

It's extremely difficult for a woman to gain muscle, especially in a calorie deficit

OP, how long of a time period has this gain occurred over?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,163 Member
    Options
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Sleep! Sleep is super important along with the other things mentioned. When I started getting more sleep the weight fell off faster.

I've also read when you start working out your body retains more water. This happened to me in the beginning but maybe someone else can verify.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    If you are like me or many others here you will only lose weight several of times a month. The rest of the time the scale will either go up or stick to the same number. Don't worry. You are losing fat if you are on a deficit. It just gets replaced by water temporarily.
    To answer your question at the end - be patient.