An Update and suggestion needed

Options
2»

Replies

• allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I would call and ask the Pharmacist and/or your local GNC store about the zero red-dye iron supplement. I bet there is an OTC out there you could take. Having a new baby, probably not as convenient traipsing in/out car to look...that's why suggest call first.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Cheerios and Wheat Chex - wait, wrong OP. XD

I was so going to say cheerios and flintstones chewables!

I don't have any legit suggestions Elphie but I'm glad you are home with baby girl and enjoying your snuggles. I hope you have a good recovery!

• Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    All I can say is congratulations! I've been waiting to hear the news! I'm pretty sure the vitamin shoppe will help. Some of those stores a pretty knowledgeable on their products.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Congrats on baby! :D
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I would call and ask the Pharmacist and/or your local GNC store about the zero red-dye iron supplement. I bet there is an OTC out there you could take. Having a new baby, probably not as convenient traipsing in/out car to look...that's why suggest call first.

Honestly not a fan of GNC but will call them and see.
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Cheerios and Wheat Chex - wait, wrong OP. XD

I was so going to say cheerios and flintstones chewables!

I don't have any legit suggestions Elphie but I'm glad you are home with baby girl and enjoying your snuggles. I hope you have a good recovery!

Oh I wish it were that easy.
    Ming1951 wrote: »
    All I can say is congratulations! I've been waiting to hear the news! I'm pretty sure the vitamin shoppe will help. Some of those stores a pretty knowledgeable on their products.
    Congrats on baby! :D

Thank you both!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Wow, so thrilled to hear that you and baby are home with your family! Congratulations!
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    This may not be the right forum, but just wanted to update everyone who has been so supportive the past 8-9months.

I am finally home with our new baby girl and we couldn't be more excited.

However, delivery and this past weekend were a nightmare. I was preeclamptic, and had to have an emergency c-section after both of us declined and her movements decreased. Afterwards I required 2 blood transfusions and a lot of antihypertensives.

While so excited to have her home and love being a mom, it has brought some new dietary restrictions which kind of sucks. Now on top of allergies, until I am no longer show symptoms of the preeclampsia, I have to follow a cardiac diet (lower sodium which will be hard for me). At the same time I have to increase my caloric intake to breast feed. Should be an interesting balance. I have a visiting nurse coming tomorrow who should be able to help a bit with figuring it out.

Anyone know of a good HIGH dose iron supplement that their stomach tolerates? I'm supposed to be taking a high dose, but the one they prescribed also has red dye #40 in it so sadly I can't take it. Will also be asking visiting nurse, but thought maybe someone here might have a good suggestion.

Get a script and in the mean time try eating Black Strap Molases. Lamb, Beef, Chicken Livers and Former Pre-E mom here too. Eat lots of nuts, Eat low salt carbs. Tough I know but you're goal is to heal. drink plenty of water and rest. Please rest. Pre-E is not something to play with. If you get a splitting headache call your doctor ASAP.

OH and I don't know if the doctor told you but lay off of the dairy (it reduces the absorbtion of iron) and increase your vitamin C (that increases your iron absorption) If your multivitamin has calcium in it, you can likely ditich it because the calcium blocks the iron. Iron supplements *MUST* be taken at a different time from calcium supplement.
  • elphie754
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »
    This may not be the right forum, but just wanted to update everyone who has been so supportive the past 8-9months.

However, delivery and this past weekend were a nightmare. I was preeclamptic, and had to have an emergency c-section after both of us declined and her movements decreased. Afterwards I required 2 blood transfusions and a lot of antihypertensives.

While so excited to have her home and love being a mom, it has brought some new dietary restrictions which kind of sucks. Now on top of allergies, until I am no longer show symptoms of the preeclampsia, I have to follow a cardiac diet (lower sodium which will be hard for me). At the same time I have to increase my caloric intake to breast feed. Should be an interesting balance. I have a visiting nurse coming tomorrow who should be able to help a bit with figuring it out.

Anyone know of a good HIGH dose iron supplement that their stomach tolerates? I'm supposed to be taking a high dose, but the one they prescribed also has red dye #40 in it so sadly I can't take it. Will also be asking visiting nurse, but thought maybe someone here might have a good suggestion.

Get a script and in the mean time try eating Black Strap Molases. Lamb, Beef, Chicken Livers and Former Pre-E mom here too. Eat lots of nuts, Eat low salt carbs. Tough I know but you're goal is to heal. drink plenty of water and rest. Please rest. Pre-E is not something to play with. If you get a splitting headache call your doctor ASAP.

OH and I don't know if the doctor told you but lay off of the dairy (it reduces the absorbtion of iron) and increase your vitamin C (that increases your iron absorption) If your multivitamin has calcium in it, you can likely ditich it because the calcium blocks the iron. Iron supplements *MUST* be taken at a different time from calcium supplement.

I have a script, but allergic to the script they gave me (I'm not exactly too impressed with the doctor who prescribed it).

I was told to increase dairy and calcium throughout the day since breast feeding.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,901 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I knew you were due this month and was wondering about you.

I get both my blackstrap molasses and iron bisglycinate from iherb.com: https://www.iherb.com/pr/p/34616
    I get a lot of stuff from iherb so never have to pay for shipping. Stop & Shop and Whole Foods carry this molasses as well.

Oh, wait, the iron is cheaper on Amazon: https://www.iherb.com/pr/p/34616

Ingredients here: https://www.iherb.com/pr/Solgar-Gentle-Iron-25-mg-180-Veggie-Caps/10625

I didn't find the form of iron prescribed by the VA to be particularly effective.

I think this is the most effective form of iron but is hard on my stomach so I just take it for extra iron while menstruating: https://www.amazon.com/Levine-Health-Products-Sante-Drops/dp/B0058AARR8/

Because you are delicate Elphie, I'm not recommending it for you, but just adding it to the thread for completeness.
  • elphie754
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Congrats! I knew you were due this month and was wondering about you.

I get both my blackstrap molasses and iron bisglycinate from iherb.com: https://www.iherb.com/pr/p/34616
    I get a lot of stuff from iherb so never have to pay for shipping. Stop & Shop and Whole Foods carry this molasses as well.

Oh, wait, the iron is cheaper on Amazon: https://www.iherb.com/pr/p/34616

Ingredients here: https://www.iherb.com/pr/Solgar-Gentle-Iron-25-mg-180-Veggie-Caps/10625

I didn't find the form of iron prescribed by the VA to be particularly effective.

I think this is the most effective form of iron but is hard on my stomach so I just take it for extra iron while menstruating: https://www.amazon.com/Levine-Health-Products-Sante-Drops/dp/B0058AARR8/

Because you are delicate Elphie, I'm not recommending it for you, but just adding it to the thread for completeness.

Thank you.

I actually use solgar for all my other vitamins (occasionally I'll use natures bounty). I was looking at their gentle iron, just wish they had a higher dose. It may be my only choice though.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you and your SO's and welcome to the world, baby girl! I'm sorry you had such a rough time of things with her delivery and send you best wishes for a smooth recovery. I'm sorry I have no suggestions to offer regarding iron supplementation.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Just want to say congratulations to you :)
  • elphie754
    Options
    Congratulations to you and your SO's and welcome to the world, baby girl! I'm sorry you had such a rough time of things with her delivery and send you best wishes for a smooth recovery. I'm sorry I have no suggestions to offer regarding iron supplementation.
    Just want to say congratulations to you :)

Thank you both. Hopefully things are looking up from here.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you and your SO's on the safe arrival of your little girl.

I'm so happy for you all. You are a star and your daughter is very blessed to have such an amazing Mum.

This pregnancy and delivery has been terribly difficult but throughout you have shown such courage and tenacity. You have fabulous traits of patience and an extraordinary ability to adapt and move forward with your spirits up despite really difficult circumstances. These qualities make you one very special Lady.

I wish you all the best as you recover from your CS and I hope you are soon able to resolve and recieve help for the medical issues you are experiencing.

Love and Best Wishes
    Karen <3

• pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Google lucky iron fish, apparently you can infuse what you're eating with iron if it's boiled on stove top.
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options

I have a script, but allergic to the script they gave me (I'm not exactly too impressed with the doctor who prescribed it).

I was told to increase dairy and calcium throughout the day since breast feeding.

You can increase your calcium but time it with your iron intake. It's a delicate balance. If your iron is low you need to replace that asap. Right now you re giving iron to your baby. He/she needs that for brain development and oxygen uptake, and temperature regulation. The baby needs calcium for other body functions not just bone development.

While you're nursing if your calcium is not sufficient your body will take it from your bones. (eek) While I am not your doctor and you ABSOLUTELY should be discussing this with your doctor not just a message board, I would think that the loss of blood and the lack of iron would be more immediately concerning than the temporary loss of calcium through nursing.

Like what was suggested here, red meat, liver and other organ meat, Black Strap molases are all FAR MORE bioavailable than supplements. However supplements are able to provide concentrated increases to quickly get your hemeglobin up to reasonable levels.

• cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I have followed your story for some time and am thrilled for you that it has culminated in a beautiful daughter- congratulations!
  • elphie754
    Options
    Congratulations to you and your SO's on the safe arrival of your little girl.

I'm so happy for you all. You are a star and your daughter is very blessed to have such an amazing Mum.

This pregnancy and delivery has been terribly difficult but throughout you have shown such courage and tenacity. You have fabulous traits of patience and an extraordinary ability to adapt and move forward with your spirits up despite really difficult circumstances. These qualities make you one very special Lady.

I wish you all the best as you recover from your CS and I hope you are soon able to resolve and recieve help for the medical issues you are experiencing.

Love and Best Wishes
    Karen <3
    Thank you. Stupid hormones actually made this post make me cry.

pamfgil wrote: »
    Google lucky iron fish, apparently you can infuse what you're eating with iron if it's boiled on stove top.

I've heard of those before but had never needed it before now, will look into it.
    cross2bear wrote: »
    I have followed your story for some time and am thrilled for you that it has culminated in a beautiful daughter- congratulations!
    cross2bear wrote: »

Thank you.

You can increase your calcium but time it with your iron intake. It's a delicate balance. If your iron is low you need to replace that asap. Right now you re giving iron to your baby. He/she needs that for brain development and oxygen uptake, and temperature regulation. The baby needs calcium for other body functions not just bone development.

While you're nursing if your calcium is not sufficient your body will take it from your bones. (eek) While I am not your doctor and you ABSOLUTELY should be discussing this with your doctor not just a message board, I would think that the loss of blood and the lack of iron would be more immediately concerning than the temporary loss of calcium through nursing.

Like what was suggested here, red meat, liver and other organ meat, Black Strap molases are all FAR MORE bioavailable than supplements. However supplements are able to provide concentrated increases to quickly get your hemeglobin up to reasonable levels.

I am definitely in contact with my doctors (as well as her new pediatrician). Bit of a difficult week to get things done though since we just got hit with a snow storm.

I do have visiting nurse service coming tomorrow, who are going to try and get some blood work to see if my iron has gotten any better.