Water retention or overeating?

Options
On Friday I weighed in at 134.2lbs. Over the weekend I went to the North Yorkshire Moors and walked 16-17 very steep, muddy, slippy and difficult miles over two days which included climbing over many fences, wading through a small stream because the promised bridge didn't exist, sliding down a muddy bank through brambles. In short, a properly brutal though very fun weekend. I did not log calories during the weekend though I didn't binge. Cereal for breakfast, a sandwich in a little cafe for lunch and pub grub for dinner both days. On Monday I weighed in at 140lbs.

I have seen here muscles can retain water when starting a new workout regime and my legs do ache like hell. I many have also over eaten do to not logging though was very active. Weigh can fluctuate, I know that, but almost 6lbs in a few days is the biggest fluctuation I have ever had. How much of this is water retention, and how long before I get a woosh as it goes, and how much is just plain old overeating?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate over 20,000 extra calories it's water retention. Increase you water intake and it should go in a day or two.
  • kristinhowell
    kristinhowell Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Yeah, i agree it's most likely water. I can fluctuate like that, or more, when I'm changing up my workouts. The more sore I am, the more water I'll retain. The muscles have to heal, though. A bath with some epsom salt helps the soreness and the water retention. And like the other poster said, drink lots of water!
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Also the pub grub might have had more sodium in it than you are used to. Drink water and see what happens.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I put on 6lb after a day long hike once. It's pretty normal, and far more likely than gaining 6lb of fat in a single weekend!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    In addition, you could also be retaining water due to your menstrual cycle.