Frustrated - no weight loss in 2nd week

Options
I did really well and lost 7 lbs in the first week. I know this is unrealistic and it is probably water weight, but have lost nothing in the 2nd week. I have been very strict and good on my calories and haven't had but one cheat meal since I started (which was the first week). My calories are always at my goal or just a little under. Is it normal to not lose anything this soon in my diet? In the past I have always done very well in the beginning but then plateau after a month or two. Please help!!!

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    You did lose, but you won't always lose every week. Make sure you are weighing your food and logging everything you consume using correct entries (i.e. no homemade or generic). Yes 7 pounds in 1 week is most likely water weight. Just remember weight loss isn't linear. Some weeks you lose more than others. Some weeks the scale goes up. Many factors go into scale shifts. Take pics and measurements. Use an app that uses trends.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    if you lost 7 lbs in your first week, the reason you "haven't lost in the 2nd week" is because the first week wasn't reality.

You probably lost fat both weeks, but the scale lied to you pretty hard that first week and it might take another week or two for things to settle out so you are seeing real numbers again.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Your feeling disappointed as your maybe feeling deprived as you havent lost

Maybe turn it round to wow I lost 7lbs in 2 weeks
    As in reality losing 7lbs in week one sometimes results in a small gain week 2 as your body lost a lot water which can at times be regained in week 2

Keep going aim for 5 lbs a month it's better to look at the bigger picture than just weeks
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    if you lost 7 lbs in your first week, the reason you "haven't lost in the 2nd week" is because the first week wasn't reality.

You probably lost fat both weeks, but the scale lied to you pretty hard that first week and it might take another week or two for things to settle out so you are seeing real numbers again.

This. How often do you weigh yourself? Do you weigh yourself at the same time of day wearing similar clothes? At most, you're losing 2 pounds per week (though 1 pound is a better estimate) and that amount of weight loss can be easily obscured by normal fluctuations in water weight or even just time of day.

If you're sticking to your calorie goal, you ARE losing, it's just that, as other posters have said, it may take a while to see the change reflected in the scale.
  • aviebeybe
    aviebeybe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    jvl1973 wrote: »
    I did really well and lost 7 lbs in the first week. I know this is unrealistic and it is probably water weight, but have lost nothing in the 2nd week. I have been very strict and good on my calories and haven't had but one cheat meal since I started (which was the first week). My calories are always at my goal or just a little under. Is it normal to not lose anything this soon in my diet? In the past I have always done very well in the beginning but then plateau after a month or two. Please help!!!
    Don't worry I was like this too on my 2nd week, I don't get why the first week was so phenomenal then 2nd week I stayed the same. Just keep goin! week 3 will be better I promise!
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Give it another two weeks before adjusting
  • jvl1973
    jvl1973 Posts: 36 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Blitzia wrote: »

This. How often do you weigh yourself? Do you weigh yourself at the same time of day wearing similar clothes? At most, you're losing 2 pounds per week (though 1 pound is a better estimate) and that amount of weight loss can be easily obscured by normal fluctuations in water weight or even just time of day.

If you're sticking to your calorie goal, you ARE losing, it's just that, as other posters have said, it may take a while to see the change reflected in the scale.

I weigh myself the same time in the morning wearing the same thing and I weigh myself everyday (I know that is bad, but it works for me when I lost weight before because if I gain it is usually because I had too much sodium or went over in my calories that week). I am sticking to my calorie goal, but I am starting to think since I am in my 40's that it won't fall off as easy as it did before when I was younger. I am definitely not giving up though.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    and I weigh myself everyday (I know that is bad,

No it isn't. Just be sure to focus on the trend and not the specific weight. I weigh daily and track it in Trendweight.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

I weigh myself the same time in the morning wearing the same thing and I weigh myself everyday (I know that is bad, but it works for me when I lost weight before because if I gain it is usually because I had too much sodium or went over in my calories that week). I am sticking to my calorie goal, but I am starting to think since I am in my 40's that it won't fall off as easy as it did before when I was younger. I am definitely not giving up though.
    Are you certain? How are you measuring your intake?
  • jvl1973
    edited March 2017
    Options

Are you certain? How are you measuring your intake?

I am certain my calories are correct. I have a scale and I measure things that aren't already portioned. Also, I will say my eating habits are drastically different than before I was dieting. I have cut a lot of carbs and sugars out and my portions are now what they are supposed to be.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    weight loss is not linear and your body will take time to adjust.. Just keep eating in a deficit and you will lose. BTW I weigh a lot of my pre portioned food as well.. You'd be surprised how off they can be.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    What was this "cheat meal", did it have a lot of sodium? That can cause you to be retaining water for several days afterwards, masking any loss in the second week. Any time I eat a high-sodium meal I retain water for 3-5 days afterwards. Also, is it TOM?
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Ignore individual data points look at trends. In 2 weeks your trend is down significantly.
  • jvl1973
    Options
    karahm78 wrote: »
    What was this "cheat meal", did it have a lot of sodium? That can cause you to be retaining water for several days afterwards, masking any loss in the second week. Any time I eat a high-sodium meal I retain water for 3-5 days afterwards. Also, is it TOM?

My cheat meal (lunch) was Shake Shack and it was very high in sodium. The next day I gained 2 lbs from the sodium. But 48 hours later the 2 lbs was gone and I have been stuck. That was a week ago today.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do with scale data is trend it. I weigh daily and trend the data - that is the only way the scale makes sense. I use trendweight.com but you can also do it yourself. I'm shocked MFP doesn't have a smoothing trend on their progress charts, actually.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do with scale data is trend it. I weigh daily and trend the data - that is the only way the scale makes sense. I use trendweight.com but you can also do it yourself. I'm shocked MFP doesn't have a smoothing trend on their progress charts, actually.

^^^this. I just started using an app called Libra. I wish MFP would use something like this because at least then we would get realistic trends vs the "if you eat this much" when you complete the daily diary.
  • Iwanttolosemymummytummy
    Options
    I know exactly how frustrated you feel! It's so demoralising.
    I started eating less and exercising more 8 weeks ago and haven't lost a single pound! I even started a post on here because I couldn't understand why. I got great support, just like you have and soon realised that losing lbs is not the only important thing. Losing inches counts just as much. I am,thankfully, losing inches and my clothes have gone down almost 2 sizes.
    Have you noticed your clothes getting bigger?

Don't lose faith - I'm still hopefull of seeing the scales be kind to me even after 8 weeks.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I love the Happy Scale app for iPhone... as long as the trend is green I'm happy