• ImKaren768
    ImKaren768 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    Is there a way to pop "naked" popcorn with what I (probably) have in my kitchen? Or would I need to get a thing? Like the idea of making my own, in an appropriate serving. Garlic salt and parm sounds so yummy.

I pop mine in a brown paper bag (those little lunch bags) with nothing added, just the kernels. It works great and is inexpensive!

I've never been able to get this to work (well). More than half the seeds remain unpopped. I've tried new seeds, old seeds. Microwave at home, microwave at work. High setting, low setting.......it's such a waste of seeds that buying a microwave popper was actually cheaper for me.

Microwave poppers are just microwavable bowls.......

Place the popcorn kernels in a 2 1/2-quart microwave-safe bowl. Cover completely with a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high (at 100 percent power) until the popping slows down to about 4 seconds between each pop, 4 minutes and 45 seconds.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    OLD BAY.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Is there a way to pop "naked" popcorn with what I (probably) have in my kitchen? Or would I need to get a thing? Like the idea of making my own, in an appropriate serving. Garlic salt and parm sounds so yummy.

I pop mine in a brown paper bag (those little lunch bags) with nothing added, just the kernels. It works great and is inexpensive!

I've never been able to get this to work (well). More than half the seeds remain unpopped. I've tried new seeds, old seeds. Microwave at home, microwave at work. High setting, low setting.......it's such a waste of seeds that buying a microwave popper was actually cheaper for me.

Place the popcorn kernels in a 2 1/2-quart microwave-safe bowl. Cover completely with a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high (at 100 percent power) until the popping slows down to about 4 seconds between each pop, 4 minutes and 45 seconds.

How much popcorn do you use for that size of bowl? Also do you use any oil/butter?
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    my brother uses Bacon Flavored oil to pop his in, its so good!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    One of the nice things about the Kernel Seasonings line is that they can be used for other things. I love some of them on veggies or cottage cheese, for example. I've used White Cheddar, Bacon Cheddar, Cheddar Caramel (this is good on plain rice cakes to make your own caramel rice cakes for less calories than the standard - just spritz with cooking spray very briefly and sprinkle) and Garlic Parmesan.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »

How much popcorn do you use for that size of bowl? Also do you use any oil/butter?

Start out with 3 tablespoons of seeds. Yellow popcorn pops up bigger (coarser) than white. So it's not going to be exact. I like a teaspoon of oil, the added moisture helps the salt (or other toppings stick). But if you are going to use butter spray, no oil is needed. I do like I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray (refrigerated) not aerosol, so no weird aftertaste.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Love the popping and topping suggestions :)
  • bikerjoe83
    bikerjoe83 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I tried popping corn last night in the microwave. I used a microwaveable bowl, covered with a microwaveable plate etc, no oil, but half the kernels didn't pop! Do only half pop when done on the stove?

I don't mind adding the oil, I just personally prefer popcorn plain. I've had popcorn at other people's houses, just never popped loose kernels myself before. I've bought pre-bagged kernels before which you just throw in the microwave in the bag and they've all popped. Just not this loose stuff.
  • AgidGirl
    AgidGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I LOVE popcorn! We use a Cuisinart air popper, I'll typically just add butter or salt. I also love popcorn with soup...especially tomato soup. My kids love soup and popcorn too, so much so that they want popcorn with any soup I make!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    AgidGirl wrote: »
    I LOVE popcorn! We use a Cuisinart air popper, I'll typically just add butter or salt. I also love popcorn with soup...especially tomato soup. My kids love soup and popcorn too, so much so that they want popcorn with any soup I make!

I... need to try this popcorn with tomato soup idea. It intrigues me.

I have an air popper too and love it. And Trader Joe's makes a really good tomato soup that I can eat... hmmm... a plan is forming...
  • AgidGirl
    AgidGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    AgidGirl wrote: »

I... need to try this popcorn with tomato soup idea. It intrigues me.

I have an air popper too and love it. And Trader Joe's makes a really good tomato soup that I can eat... hmmm... a plan is forming...

It's good, really good. It does kind of dissolve though...which is why I love it :-)
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I add EVOO, granulated garlic, pizza seasoning, nutritional yeast, hot sauce, popcorn salt, I cant believe its not butter and sometimes a popcorn seasoning like ranch or jalapeno cheddar. I only use a dash of everything but it tastes really good.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I've done it on the stove top in a pot, with about a TBSP of oil. You heat up the oil and put the kernels in and the heat will cause it to pop.

Don't forget the lid :wink: and to shake it lots when it gets going, and use a pot you don't like, it's gonna wreck it after awhile (still good for popcorn, but for other things the taste won't be quite right).
  • bringbackthejoy
    bringbackthejoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I like sea salt and white vinegar (sprayed on). Thanks for these ideas, I am kind of obsessed with popcorn but have been avoiding it because I always eat like 6 cups in a sitting.
  • dawn_westbury
    dawn_westbury Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm plain jane, I love popping it on the stove and just eating it as is .. no salt etc! ☺️