Water Intake???

Options
So I heard it both ways... drink half your body weight in fluid oz and drinking too much water can also have a negitive impact on your diet and weight loss.

Currently @ 320lbs - so to drink half my body weight is 160oz... too much water intake or correct water intake???

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Drink enough to keep you hydrated. There's no set amount.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    eklise wrote: »
    So I heard it both ways... drink half your body weight in fluid oz and drinking too much water can also have a negitive impact on your diet and weight loss.

Currently @ 320lbs - so to drink half my body weight is 160oz... too much water intake or correct water intake???

Think about it logically...there are numerous factors that go into one's hydration needs...logically, there wouldn't be some arbitrary amount that would apply to everyone. If your urine is pale yellow then you are hydrated.

My hydration needs vary depending on my training and time of year. I'm very active and also live in the desert at over a mile high above sea level...my hydration needs in July are going to be considerably more than someone who is less active living in a temperate climate at sea level.

When you over-hydrate, you're going to lose a lot of electrolytes.
  • Adventuretown
    Adventuretown Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My weight loss stalled recently and I decided to see if drinking more water would help.. I have been drinking 1oz per lb of body weight (176oz) a day and the scale finally started moving!
  • hamstercaster
    hamstercaster Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My weight loss stalled recently and I decided to see if drinking more water would help.. I have been drinking 1oz per lb of body weight (176oz) a day and the scale finally started moving!

That's over 5 liters of water per day. That's insane and potentially detrimental/dangerous to your health as you're diluting your electrolytes way too much. For some reason people fail to understand that your thirst mechanism is fine tuned to tell you when you are thirsty, the same way your hunger mechanism tells you that you are hungry. You should drink when you are thirsty or when you can clearly see yellow in your pee.

Contrary to popular belief there is no set minimum of fluids to consume on a daily basis. People also need to realize that a part of your hydration comes from the food you eat as well.
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    My original weight was just a smidge higher than your current weight and I was drinking between 120 to 180oz then. I still somehow just under 300 pounds drink that amount for the most part depending on if I carry a bottle of water with me and how active I am that day. I notice the more I drink the better I feel and the more the scale moves and the less I drink it seems to not move.
  • stewartt3260
    stewartt3260 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Do any of you have a problem peeing too often when you're drink all this water!
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    On days when I woosh, seems like I'm in the loo every half hour.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Do any of you have a problem peeing too often when you're drink all this water!

Of course! But think of all those steps and exercise walking back and forth to the bathroom.
  • BridgetteM14
    BridgetteM14 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree with drinking when you're thirsty and watching the color of your urine but if you tend to not drink water until your noticing your urine being too dark you may need to have a goal of so many ounces per day, then it will become habit. I found that if I drink 32 oz by my lunch time i will easily consume another 32-50 by bed and that keeps me feeling hydrated. With no goal I would let myself get super thirsty before I would drink water...and the scale does seem to respond better when you keep your body hydrated.
  • Msfenae
    Msfenae Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I try to lean towards drinking more water when trying to lose weight because it decreases my appetite. I also try and remember that water is in other things as well.. fruit. So to try and not beat myself up if I havent drank the amount I was aiming for. During a weight loss moment/goal I aim at drinking at least 1/2 my body weight. Other times I try to drink enough to avoid dehydration.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    If you find that you need a target .5-1 oz per pound of body weight is a good range... Lower on the range is better.

Too much above that range, and you start risking water toxication.

That being said. Stay below 1 L per hour even in hot weather and make sure you're getting enough electrolytes/salts.