Logging when unwell

Options
I have multiple gallstones and am waiting gallbladder removal surgery. I had a particularly nasty attack last night and have been unwell today, I have just managed to eat two plain biscuits and two glasses of water. Was just wondering if others continue to log if they are unwell and therefore not likely to hit target calories/ macros. Obviously if I was really unwell then MFP would be the last thing on my mind

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Log it but know you won't be able to close the day off as MFP will grump about you being under. But I would log it for interest sake anyway. It can't hurt to log it.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    I continue to log but when I am not well I have the opposite problem, my appetite goes through the roof. At least if you log, if your weight drops more than expected you can see from your data why. As @Tacklewasher has said you won't be able to close it out but that's not the end of the world. Have you considered keeping some meal replacement shakes at home to try and keep yourself nourished when your appetite is down?
  • pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks both of you, I'll continue to log, don't want to break my logging streak! It's more a matter of keeping anything down rather than decreased appetite but it doesn't normally last long so shouldn't do me any harm.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    pennygm72 wrote: »
    Thanks both of you, I'll continue to log, don't want to break my logging streak! It's more a matter of keeping anything down rather than decreased appetite but it doesn't normally last long so shouldn't do me any harm.

You don't even need to log food to keep your streak just log into the website
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Why not keep logging, but target your maintenance level calories while ill.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    Why not keep logging, but target your maintenance level calories while ill.

She has trouble "keeping anything down".
  • Iseulte
    Iseulte Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I logged when I had a hard time eating due to the flu, but I made sure to put in my note for the day why my intake was so low. That way, if I go back later I will know that it wasn't a failure to log, but an inability to eat.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I do. I want to make sure that I eat enough as well as not too much. I look to hit my weekly calorie goal. So if you can't keep much down now, I'd eat more when you're getting better. Need to take care of yourself.
  • pennygm72
    Options
    pennygm72 wrote: »

You don't even need to log food to keep your streak just log into the website

Thank you, I didn't know that.
  • pennygm72
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    I do. I want to make sure that I eat enough as well as not too much. I look to hit my weekly calorie goal. So if you can't keep much down now, I'd eat more when you're getting better. Need to take care of yourself.

Good idea, thank you
  • pennygm72
    Options
    Iseulte wrote: »
    I logged when I had a hard time eating due to the flu, but I made sure to put in my note for the day why my intake was so low. That way, if I go back later I will know that it wasn't a failure to log, but an inability to eat.

Another good idea, I love all the advice you get here.
  • pennygm72
    Options
    ugh, i remember the pain i was in before having my gull bladder removed.. just wait til you get it out, you're going to notice a huge difference, its absolutely lovely lol

Called the hospital today, I've had three paramedic call outs in the last two months! Hoping they'll bump me up the list...Can't wait to get it out and eat a bit more normally albeit more healthily than before it started playing up.
  • pennygm72
    Options
    The night i had stones, i seriously didn't know what was happening... for a few years i would have these moments, randomly where it would feel like i swallowed a bubble and it was stuck in my chest/upper stomach... i remember laying and contorting my body into weird positions and bouncing around the apartment, etc trying to find relief

the night i had stones though that got stuck, i thought i had food poisoning, i threw up a few times trying to get relief but got none, the pain in my back was so bad...

if you are vomiting, why aren't they removing it now? why is there a list? when i went to emerg, they took me right in and i had it removed hours later, i had to stay over night, they kept me on pain meds through IV drip, im in canada though, maybe it works different..

In the UK at the moment the NHS is struggling due to budget cuts by our present government. Emergency surgery is taking priority at the moment, gallbladder removal is considered routine surgery and so a waiting list exists, even if you get a date there is a huge chance routine surgery will get postponed if emergencies come in, understandably. In addition social care budget cuts mean that nursing home/ care home beds for the frail / elderly are in short supply, hospitals have large numbers of their beds taken up by frail/elderly people who do not need medical care in hospital but can't look after themselves at home. This leads to further delays in the system.
    I don't have a fever and am not jaundiced so I'm not considered an emergency case at the moment, however as a single mother who works full time, the pain and pain relief causes me huge issues, I can't go into hospital without childcare in place and the pain meds impact significantly on my ability to look after my children, and I obviously can't work or drive when I've taken them.
    Maybe we should move to Canada :)