Does your s/o train?

Options

Replies

• Savage__AF
    Savage__AF Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I got my ex to start working out with me before the kids and she transformed into something amazing pretty quickly. Kids happened, then she went back to being very average.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Train in the gym? No. But we ski and hike together.
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    Sadly no. Ive tried to motivate her, tried to change her diet, tried to give her all the information I know. She flatout refuses any and all of it. She said it's my life, I'm a adult, I don't want any of this, stop just stop. Has she had health problems? Yes. Does she listen? No. She drinks, smokes, eats fast food, doesn't get adequate sleep, doesn'tcomplaicomplainsis self conscious about her appearance. Short version.... No.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    We ride bikes together a lot but most of his "training" is on the xbox.
  • fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Not at all. I don't ask,question or try to talk her into it. She knows all of what is in the exercise space is as much hers as it is mine and is there whenever she'd like.
  • toned_thugs_n_harmony
    toned_thugs_n_harmony Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    yes, he's my main motivator.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    No, but he's supportive. There's always hoping one day he will start training with me.
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    No. He's really supportive of my fitness journey, but he says the gym bores him. His job gave him a free pass to a local gym, and he's used it twice.

I really wish he would; he's getting a belly and he has a nice frame for muscles. I respect that that's not his interest though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    For the first six months or so it was mostly just me but my husband has started to get into it. We want to try for a baby later this year and we have a goal of being fit parents together.

Being fit parents is pretty awesome...our kids think it's totally "normal" to be out doing stuff and being active. Sometimes when I'm on my bike trainer in the living room my youngest will get this old Huffy out that is missing the chain and he'll just spin with me...it's hilarious.

My 7 year old (on Monday) got a new Scott 20" street bike with gears and hand breaks for his birthday...we went out for a nice 12 mile ride on Sunday...albeit it wasn't exactly a "training" bout for me, but it was a lot of fun.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I still don't know what everyone is training for. Competitive mud wrestling? A candlepin bowling trophy? The annual jump roping skip off? Amateur pole dancing auditions with a $500 cash prize? I liked it when they just called it exercise instead of dramatizing it with military metaphors.

Military stole "train" from toddlers with the poddy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I still don't know what everyone is training for. Competitive mud wrestling? A candlepin bowling trophy? The annual jump roping skip off? Amateur pole dancing auditions with a $500 cash prize? I liked it when they just called it exercise instead of dramatizing it with military metaphors.

Training isn't a military term. I was a track and field sprinter and jumper from 2nd grade through my senior year in highschool. I "trained" for my sport. Most athletes, whether they are recreational or competitive will talk about training as they have to train for various events. My wife has a 1/2 marathon in Lisbon coming up...she will "train" for that. I do a few different events every year...I train specifically for those. There's generally a purpose when one is training.

Right now I'm not actively training for anything...just riding and putting in miles and doing some interval and hill work...that will change later this Spring when I start prepping for my events.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My wife started using the treadmill sporadically a few months ago, but she has let surgery and recovery interrupt that. I noticed my 26-yo daughter using the treadmill this weekend, so I suppose she does it more often.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Do people have to train for a specific event? Or can they train for better fitness?
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Training isn't a military term. I was a track and field sprinter and jumper from 2nd grade through my senior year in highschool. I "trained" for my sport. Most athletes, whether they are recreational or competitive will talk about training as they have to train for various events. My wife has a 1/2 marathon in Lisbon coming up...she will "train" for that. I do a few different events every year...I train specifically for those. There's generally a purpose when one is training.

I know. Conveying that was the purpose of my original response. I think the term "training" has become colloquial though, as it pertains to fitness activities. I doubt everyone who runs down the street is training for the marathon or, like, everyone who does daily lunges is training for an international fencing competition.

I think you have a good point here. But perhaps they are training for a better life?

I trained all my life as an elite athlete. Now I'd just work out or if I were training for an event as I kind of am now I'd just call it practicing because I know I am not training nearly as hard or carefully as I could or have
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a rumble....you never know when two rival gangs will meet, music willstart up and a choreographed dance battle will break out. For this I train for I must be in tip top condition for the day it happens
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Husband and I both competed in same powerlifting competition...I was great, he was alright.
  • merrysailor88
    merrysailor88 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Yes. My husband used to compete in bodybuilding and still trains pretty intensely. Prior to pregnancy I had been training towards competing too. But now, I just want to feel good about myself again
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Nope, but suprisingly he's the one who rekindled my passion for fitness. He picked me up by bringing me protein bars as snacks at my job and talking about fitness. About a year into our relationship and him being frustrated with his gains he quit.

I carried on and he's gone on and off the wagon several times but doesn't stick to anything for very long.

But - He isn't and has never been overweight. I don't know if that counts for anything.