Intermittent Fasting

Replies

• DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    edited March 2017
    aztkldy70 wrote: »
    When fasting cam you have the bullet proof coffee?

My friend drinks a bullet coffee every morning and it doesn't seem to breaking her fast. Her feeding time is 12pm-8pm, but she has the coffee around 8am every morning.
  • DeeDiddyGee
    edited March 2017
    This is my first weekend doing IF. I ate a bit more than usual last night (Friday night), but STILL manged to drop .4 since yesterday. 18:6 is working for me.

Started Monday, 3/6/17

Mon - 03/06/17 = 216.8 lbs
    Tue - 03/07/17 = 215.4 lbs
    Wed - 03/08/17 = 214.2 lbs
    Fri - 03/10/17 = 213.4 lbs (official weigh day. Lost 3.4 lbs this "week")
    Sat - 03/11/17 = 213.0 lbs
  • AmandaJHo
    AmandaJHo Posts: 3 Member
    Hey guys, I would like to join in as well. I was doing a 16/8 IF before I got pregnant with my second baby, but decided not to do IF while pregnant.
    I work in the middle of the day, and don't get a chance to eat at work, so if I do 9 to 5 as my eating window then I can eat before and after. For exercise, I'm playing squash twice a week and doing 3 sessions of yoga a week.
    CW: 85 kg (187)
  • sfa90
    sfa90 Posts: 105 Member
    This is my first weekend doing IF. I ate a bit more than usual last night (Friday night), but STILL manged to drop .4 since yesterday. 18:6 is working for me.

Started Monday, 3/6/17

Mon - 03/06/17 = 216.8 lbs
    Tue - 03/07/17 = 215.4 lbs
    Wed - 03/08/17 = 214.2 lbs
    Fri - 03/10/17 = 213.4 lbs (official weigh day. Lost 3.4 lbs this "week")
    Sat - 03/11/17 = 213.0 lbs

Wow thats amazing!
  • CrossfitOCRunner
    CrossfitOCRunner Posts: 61 Member
    I just decided to go back to IF for lifestyle reasons. it's worked well for me in the past and I'm just trying to find the best way to maintain and keep pushing toward my stretch goals. so I'm jumping in and catching up!
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    I have been doing 18:6 for several weeks and would like to commit to 20:4 - that will be my challenge for the next 20 days or so.
    Eating window will be 5-9pm
  • cbcarden1
    cbcarden1 Posts: 2 Member
    I would like to join as well. Ideally I would like to commit to the 20:4.. I'm not a breakfast person, and I'm pretty busy during the day, which in the past has led to eating out for lunch a lot. I cook dinner every night though, and it has always been my biggest meal. My question is though.. at what point is the best time to workout when doing IF? Do you still have a post workout snack/shake if you workout in the morning and eat at night?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I think some of you are confused about intermittent fasting. you will still have to be in a deficit to lose weight, some do 16:8 which means they stop eating a certain time the night before and wait 16 hrs later to eat(including sleep),some do 5:2 which means they eat maintenance calories or a little less for 5 days and low calories(500-800) the other 2. I do IF 16:8.I still count calories. if you eat more than you burn in that period of time you will gain weight, its not a magic way to lose weight.It just keeps some people on track with their calories. meal timing means nothing otherwise.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    cbcarden1 wrote: »
    I would like to join as well. Ideally I would like to commit to the 20:4.. I'm not a breakfast person, and I'm pretty busy during the day, which in the past has led to eating out for lunch a lot. I cook dinner every night though, and it has always been my biggest meal. My question is though.. at what point is the best time to workout when doing IF? Do you still have a post workout snack/shake if you workout in the morning and eat at night?

doesnt matter when you exercise. if you want to exercise before you eat and have the energy,then go ahead. If you notice side effects from working out in a fasted state(dizziness,nausea,etc) then do it after you have had something to eat.
  • docgee918
    docgee918 Posts: 12 Member
    I'd like to join too. Help me understand 18:6 and 20:4
  • DeeDiddyGee
    docgee918 wrote: »

Google Jason Fung on YouTube. Also, read this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting
  • docgee918
    edited March 2017
    Ok. So if I understand it correctly I have not eaten for the past 13 hours. If I were to eat now I would be on a 13:11 plan?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Ok. So if I understand it correctly I have not eaten for the past 13 hours. If I were to eat now I would be on a 13:11 plan?

yep,if thats what works for you.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

18:6 means you eat 18hrs from the last time you ate. so if you ate at 5pm on wed evening you wouldnt eat again until 11am on thurs. and you would get your calories in from 11am to 5pm. 20:4 is the same thing.you just eat 20 hrs later and have a window of 4 hrs to eat your calories.
  • DeeDiddyGee

That is correct; however, keep in my mind that fat doesn't start burning until you've fasted for at least 12 hours. I am not a pro -- this is pretty consistent with what I've read.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

That is correct; however, keep in my mind that fat doesn't start burning until you've fasted for at least 12 hours. I am not a pro -- this is pretty consistent with what I've read.

no, your body uses glycogen and fat as a fuel source. you burn fat in a deficit.meal timing has nothing to do with losing fat.you dont have to fast for 12 hrs to start burning fat. you lose fat/weight in a deficit,you can lose fat with exercise,you can lose it sitting on your butt,as long as you have a deficit thats all that matters.

you can do any kind of fasting and if you arent eating less than you burn you wont lose weight/fat.IF is not a magical weight loss way of eating,IF for some makes it easier to keep with their deficit and helps prevent them from over eating.not everyone does IF and they still lose weight.

if it took 12 hrs to start burning fat,for those people who didnt fast for 12 hrs,then they would stay fat? doesnt make much sense does it? most of whats out there on IF about fat burning and weight loss is cow flop. you still have to be in a deficit. if you want to eat your meals in a 12 hr period and fast 12 hrs fine,if you want to do 16:8,13:11,5:2 go ahead.
  • docgee918

18:6 means you eat 18hrs from the last time you ate. so if you ate at 5pm on wed evening you wouldnt eat again until 11am on thurs. and you would get your calories in from 11am to 5pm. 20:4 is the same thing.you just eat 20 hrs later and have a window of 4 hrs to eat your calories.

Thank you so much. That is very helpful
  • docgee918

no, your body uses glycogen and fat as a fuel source. you burn fat in a deficit.meal timing has nothing to do with losing fat.you dont have to fast for 12 hrs to start burning fat. you lose fat/weight in a deficit,you can lose fat with exercise,you can lose it sitting on your butt,as long as you have a deficit thats all that matters.

you can do any kind of fasting and if you arent eating less than you burn you wont lose weight/fat.IF is not a magical weight loss way of eating,IF for some makes it easier to keep with their deficit and helps prevent them from over eating.not everyone does IF and they still lose weight.

if it took 12 hrs to start burning fat,for those people who didnt fast for 12 hrs,then they would stay fat? doesnt make much sense does it? most of whats out there on IF about fat burning and weight loss is cow flop. you still have to be in a deficit. if you want to eat your meals in a 12 hr period and fast 12 hrs fine,if you want to do 16:8,13:11,5:2 go ahead.

So it's important to eat fewer calories than I burn off in order to lose the weight/fat within the window that I consume my calories?