Addicted to fast food.

Options

Replies

• endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'll never understand the whole fast food thing...most of it barely qualifies as food. I can make anything at home that I can get in a fast food restaurant and it will be both cheaper and infinitely better tasting. What qualifies as a burger at a fast food restaurant is ridiculous.

The only thing I guess that would be similar to eating fast food regularly is Friday night pizza nights...but it's pretty high quality pizza from a local pizzeria.

Cheaper? Yes. Different tasting? Yes. Better tasting? Not so sure.

Eating fast food alot of time is like scratching a good itch. It's never better to wait and scratch it later.

IMO, food prepared with quality ingredients is infinitely better tasting than any slop you're going to get in at a drive up window...that's why I say that I don't get the whole thing...it's garbage...I think that *kitten* is vile and barely passes as food.

A nice juicy burger I grill out on the patio at home is going to be infinitely better than some thin piece of "meat" that somehow passes at a burger at a drive up window...just an example.

If you specifically choose the garbage burgers, then it's garbage you get.

Frankly I like my popeyes fried chicken -- oh Tuesday discount! -- which I cannot replicate at home. I doubt anyone could. El polo grilled chicken is also great.

Just like anything in life, there's all sort of different qualities out there. I don't get the extreme mindset.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Well it is delicious do I don't blame you but you just need to change your habits and what you're used to
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'll never understand the whole fast food thing...most of it barely qualifies as food. I can make anything at home that I can get in a fast food restaurant and it will be both cheaper and infinitely better tasting. What qualifies as a burger at a fast food restaurant is ridiculous.

The only thing I guess that would be similar to eating fast food regularly is Friday night pizza nights...but it's pretty high quality pizza from a local pizzeria.

Eating fast food alot of time is like scratching a good itch. It's never better to wait and scratch it later.

IMO, food prepared with quality ingredients is infinitely better tasting than any slop you're going to get in at a drive up window...that's why I say that I don't get the whole thing...it's garbage...I think that *kitten* is vile and barely passes as food.

A nice juicy burger I grill out on the patio at home is going to be infinitely better than some thin piece of "meat" that somehow passes at a burger at a drive up window...just an example.

Frankly I like my popeyes fried chicken -- oh Tuesday discount! -- which I cannot replicate at home. I doubt anyone could. El polo grilled chicken is also great.

Just like anything in life, there's all sort of different qualities out there. I don't get the extreme mindset.

I don't think it's particularly extreme to not like fast food. It's never been a thing for me...it's not something that my family really did when I was growing up so it's not anything I've ever particularity taken any interest in. I'm also a foodie and self admitted food snob, so there's that.

Don't get me wrong, I occasionally indulge calorie wise and sometimes the food on the whole isn't the most nutritional option...but it is generally pretty high quality ingredient wise and freshly prepared.

On the extraordinarily rare occasion that I would get fried chicken, it would be at the Nexus Brewery here in town. Do you mean El Pollo Loco? Not really a thing here...I live in New Mexico and we have awesome New Mexican on just about every corner and numerous local, hole in the wall taquerias to chose from.

In a pinch I might hit up a Wendy's for a baked potato and a salad...probably a couple times per year.

It's not like I don't have other bad habits though...I need to quit my evening cigar for one, and my love of craft beer sometimes gets the better of me.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Are you eating fast food because you like the taste, or convenience? If it is the latter, there are some choices that can be better than others. You can make smarter choices either way, but curious was what the driving factor for you?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    Who cares?? I am too. But, I only let myself have it about once a week. Just like eating one salad won't make you fit, eating one BigMac won't make you fat. To me, this is a lifestyle not a diet and that means I'm not going to eliminate anything I enjoy, I'll simply be balanced. Alcohol? Check. Burgers? Check. Pizza? Check. Fast Food? Check. Try to take it from me and you'll get cut.
    If some of us had the level of self control to eat just a little fast food here and there we wouldn't be here. :D Saying, "eat just eat a little", while truthful, its not so easy to do to do for those of us that have trouble controlling our eating habits from time to time. Also, if you eat a little pizza every week, a burger or two, a few beers, some fast food, at some point a significant portion of your calories is going to be coming from these foods. At what point does your individual series of "balanced" choices make your overall diet "unbalanced" in favour of convenience foods?

Very insightful.

I also don't get the advices that tell a fast food lover to cook at home or plan. Some of the biggest advantages of fast foods is the luxury of avoiding cooking or planning (for me). You want fried chicken, you get it in 15 minutes. There's no way you can achieve that with planning and home cooking and no guarantee that you'll still have the joy of appetite.

Perhaps for some people it's the luxury of avoiding cooking but not for all. I just liked the taste of fast food, now I know that I can make similar meals at home that are half the calories and taste as good, I forego the takeaway more often than not. By the time I get takeaway it's 45 mins till it gets delivered, or heading out to a fastfood place is a 15min walk so still going to be about 25 mins before I get to eat it. I can make really good baked "fried style" chicken in 25 mins. I still order the occasional Dominos or Chinese Takeaway but since I started planning the fakeaways in, I haven't order anywhere near as much, not only that but I've saved a small fortune.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    For all those saying fast food cannot be an addiction -- is there no such thing as a sugar addiction? A sodium addiction?

I don't personally think there is, no. (There are lots of threads on sugar "addiction" and normally it's foods that have lots of fat too, and specific foods while others with sugar aren't triggering at all. What there are are eating disorders and in some relatively rare cases eating addiction.) Also, fast food doesn't have an especially large amount of sugar anyway.

Now, it's definitely true that eating lots of sweet foods can increase desire/tolerance for sweet, and I know it's true with salt -- if I eat lots of salt I want saltier foods and if I don't they taste too salty (one reason I dislike fast food and really have since becoming an adult is I think it tastes kind of salty and greasy -- this idea that it's extra tasty is weird for me, what it is is fast and cheap).
    If the OP goes out of her way, spends money, and consumes out of a deep uncontrollable desire, then it's an addiction.

She probably doesn't experience any of that. What determines if fast food restaurants are profitable or not is convenience -- people DON'T go out of their way to go there. For a dinner they are reasonably cheap (not especially healthy compared to a balanced dinner with vegetables, but not the worst thing in the world if you like it and fit it in, as an occasional thing). People generally DON'T consume out of a "deep uncontrollable desire," and they certainly don't keep eating and eating (unlike with alcoholics and booze where the amount consumed is the issue in large part, as well as making the choice to drink over important other things). Mostly people think "I'm tired and this sounds good and easy, I'll get it." It is of course true that what you eat often determines what you crave, but calling that an addiction is really lowering the bar on what an addiction is.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter what you call it, how to change habits is the question. For OP I'd advise having a plan, making having a homemade dinner easy and pleasant sounding. It's a lot harder to avoid the impulse to grab food you personally think is tasty (would never be fast food for me) if you have to choose between that and going to the store to shop and then cooking and your idea of a healthy meal is plain chicken breast with overcooked vegetables (and you don't really know how to cook or have a plan).

Focusing on practical things like that rather than this idea that it's uncontrollable because addiction seems more helpful.

(The things I mentioned may not be OP's issues, but we would need to know OP's issues.)

If it were an "addiction," eating the same basic foods at home should suffice, and I personally know I can make a delicious burger with roasted potatoes (and even add in salt and more gradually reduce the amount used) within my goal calories and macros. I'd make some vegetables with it too, though.

So even if is an addiction, seems not that hard to address.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    In the modern American use of the word "addicted", all you need is a political advocacy network of organizations focused upon raising awareness of the social obligation on me to pay for your fast food.

On another hand, if you language your issue as, "I resort to fast food too much", we can help. We're trying to help. See all the above. Yet none of that will matter until you change your attitude from one of victimhood to one of empowerment.
  • ramonramirez1975
    ramonramirez1975 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way too, but I usually modify the food once I get it, for instance I got a chicken burrito from del taco with no cheese or dressing, I ate everything inside except the tortilla and that satisfied my appetite and palate. I have many more examples, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me. :smile:
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Has anyone here seen My 600 Lb Life? I never believed in food "addiction" until I saw that show. When you're unable to walk, bathe or care for your children and know you're likely to die within a year or so if you keep on the path you've been on, and you accept that prison of a life rather than turn down fast food, there has to be something heroin-like going on with the food. Haven't personally experienced food "addiction" but cannot imagine this is a matter of willpower when someone has a torturously painful, limited and humiliated existence in exchange for that french fry high.

Hoping the OP is not addicted, though, and just really likes the way the stuff tastes. If that's the case, I agree with trying to make your own version of the foods, or choosing healthier options at least (grilled chicken sandwich instead of a big mac??) or maybe watching the documentary Supersize Me, which honestly made me think of fast food as disgusting...
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I feel we use the word addiction far too loosely around here.. and thats all i am going to say to that.

What's great is that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The behavior needs to change whether it's technically classified an addiction or not. I love fast food (hence my name) but know it's not good for me. I've been trying to seriously scale back. Going from 7 days a week to 5 to 3. Once that is done, I agree with everyone else that says either fit smaller portions into your macros for the day or make healthier versions at home. I hate to cook so I'd rather fit a smaller portion into my macros or skip it altogether. Once you start eating less fast food the cravings start to go away. Good luck!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Go online and start reading the ingredients and calories. It's a real wake-up call!

Like most of us I have indulged in fast food for a variety of reasons, mostly convenience when taking kids to games and practices and work life got busy. A few years ago I decided to really get serious about eating better and started educating myself and reading labels. My oldest son (health nut) told me that I should "eat as well as I can afford". What that means for him (and now me) is to buy the best quality ingredients that fit my budget. Organic as much as possible, grow my own food as much as possible, and meat/eggs from local sources not factory farms. I stick with that as much as I can and I can tell my body appreciates the quality fuel that I'm putting into it.

Because I still like the convenience of take-out from time to time, I started going online and reading all the ingredients in the offerings at the major restaurant chains. Holy chemicals batman! SO many things I can't even pronounce and the calories are ridiculous. I used to think I could eat the grilled chicken from a big chain restaurant because it was healthier (not fried). Not so. They inject that chicken with lots of soybean oil and tons of other stuff to make it juicy and delicious. No thanks, I'll pass.

At this point, take-out has been narrowed down to a few restaurants with healthier ingredients - Chipotle, Panerra Bread, or my local Thai or Vietnamese restaurants. A nice bowl of pho is delicious AND low-calorie. A little high in sodium, but it's not a daily indulgence.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    storyjorie wrote: »
    Has anyone here seen My 600 Lb Life? I never believed in food "addiction" until I saw that show.

I'd call that eating addiction, and it's what I was referring to when I said I think it exists but is somewhat rare.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    The only way I was able to stop eating fast food was to treat it like an addiction, and honestly I do believe it is.

Also for those who disagree I'm not saying you are right or wrong but there have been studies done on the brain and the same areas associated with the high from drugs light up from foods also. It's difiniative, but it definitely shows that we enjoy those foods so much that our reward systems are as excited as if we do drugs!

I don't have the studies nor do I care whether you believe me (a simple Google search will help you find them) but it really did help me quit my fast food habit to view it like this.

As someone who knows the feeling of real addictions after quitting cigarettes and alcohol the cravings I get for fast food are equal if not stronger for McDonald's Big Macs. To me it doesn't matter what the true identification of the cravings are, I needed to quit them altogether because I had no control over my consumption so I did what worked and followed the same regimen and mental strength that worked for my other addictions.

Different things work for different people, this works for me. I don't beat myself up if I slip up, because it's not a big deal if it happens... but I do take it a day at a time and work towards the best me I can.
  • Iseulte
    Iseulte Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think the OP has gotten a lot of good replies. Might I add that sometimes just a change in routine can help you avoid unplanned or habituary fast food visits. I found that changing my daily driving route so that my favorite fast food stops were avoided, or even just on the wrong side of the road, helped me maintain my resolve to go home and eat a more healthful meal. I can be pretty fixed in my ways, so pre-logging also helped. It's way easier to eat what you planned than to go back and change it.
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You're not addicted to it, you just choose it over something else. Make different choices - plan meals, make a shopping list and stock your fridge and pantry with other options.

No offense, but the additives that are put in many of fast food products produce the same "opiate-like" chemicals, which induce a "feel-good" sensation, and can create an addiction. If someone were to live on fast food for several weeks or months, it can easily become an addiction.

• TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    You should go to your bookstore or library and check out "Eat This! Not that!" or "Cook this! Not that"... same author. Healthier versions of fast food to cook at home and swap out at the grocery store.

I love "Eat This Not That" book.. I didn't know about "Cook This! Not That"..thanks!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    You're not addicted to it, you just choose it over something else. Make different choices - plan meals, make a shopping list and stock your fridge and pantry with other options.

No offense, but the additives that are put in many of fast food products produce the same "opiate-like" chemicals, which induce a "feel-good" sensation, and can create an addiction. If someone were to live on fast food for several weeks or months, it can easily become an addiction.

What specific additives are you referring to? Isn't fast food a pretty diverse category? If I want a burger I am going to get a burger (or make it at home -- I don't think fast food burgers are especially tasty at all). Fast food is not interchangeable.

(I've seen this "opiate-like" claim about cheese, for the record. I don't buy that either. I eat cheese, and not at fast food places. Pretty sure cheese makes my brain light up, like petting sweet little puppies or kittens (at MFP that could be unfortunately misunderstood), however.)
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options

Wait, there's a Tuesday discount for popeyes?!

I'd say an enjoyment of fast food up to being habitual about cruising through the drive thru is not necessarily taste, but ease of access. 10minutes to get food handed to you, or 20-30 to cook and go through the fuss and have dishes. Plus French fries are tasty. And the hush puppies from Cookout. But I've learned to treat eating out AS a treat. Saves money, generally saves calories. You do get a lot of salt and sweets with the options available.