It's thigh sucking shorts season. Help.

Options
2»

Replies

• hablondi
    hablondi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    hablondi wrote: »
    Check out "sparkle skirts" (they are not sparkly). I bought one at the Tink Half Marathon last year and it is my absolute favorite thing to run in. Cute. No thigh chaff. Lots of pockets. Absolutely perfect.

Those look awesome, but they are expensive! They sell for $50 on Ebay, which may just be testimony to how great they are. I have to add them to my goal weight shopping list.

Yes, hence the reason why I only own one. Definitely worth the money, though! There is a Facebook group where people buy/sell/trade them as well. You could buy one now and easily sell it when it gets too big.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Check out "sparkle skirts" (they are not sparkly). I bought one at the Tink Half Marathon last year and it is my absolute favorite thing to run in. Cute. No thigh chaff. Lots of pockets. Absolutely perfect.

Those look awesome, but they are expensive! They sell for $50 on Ebay, which may just be testimony to how great they are. I have to add them to my goal weight shopping list.

Yes, hence the reason why I only own one. Definitely worth the money, though! There is a Facebook group where people buy/sell/trade them as well. You could buy one now and easily sell it when it gets too big.

I was thinking that after I posted. $50 resale for a $70 skirt is not bad depreciation.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Nicci93 wrote: »
    I know your struggle :(

I have always sucked up running in capris during the summer because being slightly too warm on a run was better than the chafing nightmares that come from shorter shorts that ride up all the time. I have been looking for some short options again though, and I think something like this might work for both of us:

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Mizuno_Womens_Core_Mid_Tight/descpage-MWCMT.html OR http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Nike_Womens_Pro_Hypercool_8_Short/descpage-NWPHYC8.html

I'm not sure if $50 is spending too much for you.

(If the link doesn't work, google Running Warehouse Womens running shorts and filter to extra long length)

That's pretty much what I wear. Long compression shorts, but I get mine from Old Navy. I adore them. Oh, see my avatar. I'm wearing them.

These.

But really, there isn't much difference in these and my capris. Just my knees. Capris are easier to find, so I usually just run in those.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    fa7msdn2oyoy.jpg

Actually ... these under armour (oh hi mfp!) ones are pretty good. Loose, drawstring, not crazy short ... but they are quite old so I'm not sure if they make them still?

I just bought these exact shorts at Kohl's last month. I only wear them around the house, though, because they don't have the sewn-in undies.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I wear the New Balance 2-in-1 shorts. Definitely no chafing or riding up.

http://www.clevertraining.com/new-balance-women-s-impact-5-2-in-1-short

• misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Running shorts are the worst. It seems like the marketing folks don't realize there are runners over the age of 22. They also don't realize that we don't all look great with our butt cheeks hanging out. Anyway, I've accepted the fact that I need to size up - a lot - when it comes to running shorts. I wear between a 4 and a 6 US, and I usually buy a women's Large short. It's a complete blow to the ego, but they don't ride up. I also like the ones with the built in liner. I have a lot of outlets near my house, so I can always find something. UA, Reebok and Asics are go to brands.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've never found a pair of shorts that don't ride up. No matter how good of shape I'm in, my thighs still touch a little. I found spandex eventually stop, but you're showing a bit of skin at that point. I rock my leggings all year round - when I'm not feeling especially in the mood to show my butt. :)

I also don't like a lot of the normal running shorts because they are too saggy in the butt. I have a large rump, so it makes no sense to me.

A long story short OP - Nike makes leggings that go just over your knees and are pretty thin. As long as you aren't doing squats - they are perfect for running!!
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Totally not a runner and me in shorts is not something anyone wants to see...BUT...if you can't deal with an elastic waist take them to a seamstress and have a drawstring put in. You can add a drawstring to anything
    VERY easily. If you don't want to spend the money on a seamstress, I'm sure that's something you could do yourself if you are even the tiniest bit handy.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Those shorts would go straight up my crotch before reaching the sidewalk. Cute though.

LOL I was going to say the same thing. Definitely makes a huge difference when the thighs are touching as to what shorts will work.

I prefer longer compression-style shorts. No drawstring - they stay up fine (I mean some of those things will cut off your circulation they are so tight!) but I cannot stand them tight. I always have to buy a size or two larger. I don't like most of them - they make me feel like I have been stuffed into a sausage casing and that drives me nuts.

These are the best I have ever found. Longer length, and very comfortable waistband (and definitely will not fall down!)
    https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Womens-Absolute-Workout-Bermuda/dp/B00AHTPCUM
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    crb07w95tqs4.jpg

I have had some luck with Nike PRO but they are short af and I am always paranoid my butt is hanging out. The above are the only longer compression I've bought that stay put over 20km, courtesy of Running Room's in-store brand. I think they were $30 CAD?
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Eddie Bauer has a longer leg trail shorts that I use for the gym, pickleball and running. They suck me in. I don't wobble. They don't creep down like all the other workout capris and shorts do. They have a leg pocket for my iPod. And a couple zipped pockets for ID, $$, tissues...

They're expensive but I wait for a 40% sale. I've got two pair. Been wearing them alternately every day since October. They look like brand new. And fit like skin.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    Totally not a runner and me in shorts is not something anyone wants to see...BUT...if you can't deal with an elastic waist take them to a seamstress and have a drawstring put in. You can add a drawstring to anything
    VERY easily. If you don't want to spend the money on a seamstress, I'm sure that's something you could do yourself if you are even the tiniest bit handy.

I looked up tutorials online for both adding a drawstring and tightening elastic. They look within my skill level. So I may do that to shorts that fit in the legs, but not the waist. I'm getting so many sewing projects, I may just end up getting a pattern and some spandex and cut out the short shopping.

I did try out some more shopping today. I went to the fancy Walmart (hey, it's fancier than the one by my house, LOL) and got some compression shorts that hit above the knee. They seemed to stay up on my hips and down on my thighs in the store. I had to size down though, which may be a huge part of my problem with shorts not fitting right, duh.

I found some traditional running shorts at Target just within budget that reach to my finger tips, the old short length regulation in the school district I grew up in, so I don't feel naked. I'm wearing them around the house now and they seem fine so far. They are made of a satiny material which seems to be keeping them in place. Who knew? If they suck for running they are still super cute for gardening.

Thank you for all the helpful suggestions. I'm not running until tomorrow, so I'll let you know then if I hate the shorts I bought.