What Gym Equipment To Use To Lose Weight

Hello everyone!
I go to the gym 4 times a week and currently use the running machine, bike, a few weight machine (Horizontal Seated Leg Press and Lat pull down) and also do some squats, weights and use the rowing machine but feel I'm gaining muscle not getting rid of fat!
What machines should I use and for how long? also what weight to set them to?
I am a newbie gym user only been going for a month and I don't want to seem stupid by asking the gym workers, silly I know!

Thanks!

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Weight loss is about energy balance.

Consume less energy (calories) than you expend. Do this consistently for a substantial length of time.

You can come about this deficit in energy however you so choose.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    How is your eating? You can't out exercise a bad diet.

Allan Misner
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer
    Host of the 40+ Fitness Podcast
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Fork put downs
    Weight is eating less. Exercise is amazing but weight has to do with eating less then expend.
  • JessBarnes1991
    JessBarnes1991 Posts: 19 Member
    I was always told to join a gym even by doctors! I'll still go to make sure I don't have loose skin and to keep in shape and just concentrate on my calorie intake, atm I'm consuming 1200 calories a day which is mostly fruit and veg all morning/afternoon and one healthy main meal in the evening.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    I was always told to join a gym even by doctors! I'll still go to make sure I don't have loose skin and to keep in shape and just concentrate on my calorie intake, atm I'm consuming 1200 calories a day which is mostly fruit and veg all morning/afternoon and one healthy main meal in the evening.

For someone working out four times a week, that seems a bit low. I weight 175, am 5'5", and have mine set to a 2lb loss per week and my calories at set at 1240. But, I usually burn 200+ calories every day with my workouts and I eat all of those back, typically. Unless you're eating at a bulking calorie threshold and really working hard at the gym, you aren't going to gain muscle weight. You may notice muscle definition as your body sheds subcutaneous fat and your skin tightens up, but if you are eating a deficit you aren't going to bulk up. Another thing that can occur after a strenuous workout is very temporary water retention, but it is not significant and it usually won't last more that a few days.

• BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Doing cardio (ellipticals, treadmills, bikes) is the best way to lose weight at the gym. Strength exercises will give your muscles a firm, fit appearance.

The bikes burn less calories than the elliptical machines and treadmills because you're just using your legs--no arm movements. "Real life" biking burns more calories than gym bikes, as you're actually using your body to balance the bike.

Also, if you can find some stairs, actual real life stairs, those provide a great workout for your lower body (leg muscles and glutes). Really gets my heart rate up!
  • rhileyschubbygranny
    rhileyschubbygranny Posts: 145 Member
    If your gym has Battle Ropes or an Endless Rope those are great, especially the Battle Ropes!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member

They are correct in advising exercise. More should recommend it, but they forget the nutrition component. 1200 calories a day seems too low for your activity, but I don't know your stats. Make sure you are getting adequate protein and fat as well since these are very important for muscle maintenance/growth (protein) and hormone balance (fat).
  • JessBarnes1991
    JessBarnes1991 Posts: 19 Member
    That you everyone for your replies I'm learning loads!
    I'll take a look at my diet and food intake and work on that before looking into exercises, you have all been really helpful!
  • lordbrs
    lordbrs Posts: 5 Member
    I don't know what gym you go to but ask, that's what they're there for. Do note that high heart rate cardio isn't as efficient at burning fat as a more moderate heart rate. (Not sure why.) I end up doing about 118 bpm average on fat burn vs 139 bpm on pure cardio and I've noticed the difference. If you can set the gym treadmills to fat burn, you might do better on fat. Either way will help.

As always, ask a trained professional such as your doctor of the fitness trainer at your gym for what's best for you (or both).

Good luck!!!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    1200 for weight loss isn't necessarily too low. i'm on 1200 and i exercise and its just fine. make sure its well balanced. Put your numbers into MPF and see what it tells you to eat. And exercise is good for you, look into it now. Do anything you enjoy.
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    isn't HIIT recommended to lose weight?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    TheRambler wrote: »
    isn't HIIT recommended to lose weight?

HIIT can contribute to weight loss (provided you are watching your food), but it is primarily designed to build cardiovascular endurance.

Allan Misner
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer
    Host - 40+ Fitness Podcast
  • l911jnt
    l911jnt Posts: 164 Member
    I am 5'0 ft and mostly sedentary. 1200 is what my goal everyday is. My husband bought me an elliptical and had an old treadmill in the garage. I use both depending on my mood. I usually do 20 to 25 mins in the morning on the elliptical or 30 or 40 mins on the treadmill and I do that at least 4 times a week. In 9 weeks I have lost 15.8 lbs. Everyone is different but thats what works for me. Exercise doesnt lose the weight really but it lets me eat more than my 1200 which is good. I eat most of my exercise cals back (I have a Garmin Vivosmart that counts my exc cals).
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    edited March 2017
    That you everyone for your replies I'm learning loads!
    I'll take a look at my diet and food intake and work on that before looking into exercises, you have all been really helpful!
    I recommend Stronglifts 5x5. Simple program, linear progression, start slow. It would help to get a trainer to work on your form for the first 2-4 sessions. You can supplement with 10-20 minutes of cardio after your workout if you like. You can supplement the basic lifts with the machines as well if you like or just stick with the basic lifts. Builds strength and overall fitness, burns calories, makes you feel great. Helps to retain muscle while losing weight. Simple program, easy to follow and has a custom app for your phone for free.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2017
    lordbrs wrote: »
    I don't know what gym you go to but ask, that's what they're there for. Do note that high heart rate cardio isn't as efficient at burning fat as a more moderate heart rate. (Not sure why.) I end up doing about 118 bpm average on fat burn vs 139 bpm on pure cardio and I've noticed the difference. If you can set the gym treadmills to fat burn, you might do better on fat. Either way will help.

As always, ask a trained professional such as your doctor of the fitness trainer at your gym for what's best for you (or both).

Good luck!!!

Substrate utilization during exercise has nothing to do with weight/fat loss. The "fat burning zone" is a silly misconception espoused by people who don't understand basic physiology.

http://www.gssiweb.org/Article/sse-59-fat-metabolism-during-exercise-new-concepts
    ...There is much interest in the effect of exercise intensity on fat oxidation and the sources of that fat. It is often assumed that the intensity of exercise must be kept low to burn fat optimally. However, from Figures 2 and 3 it can be seen that the rate of total fat oxidation was higher at 65% than at 25% VO2max -110 cal · kg-1 · min-1 vs. 70 cal · kg-1 · min-1. At 25% VO2max, almost all of the energy expenditure during exercise was derived from fat, but fat oxidation at 65% VO2max accounted for only 50% of the energy expenditure. However, because the total rate of energy expenditure was so much greater (2.6-fold) at 65% VO2max, the absolute rate of fat oxidation was greater, i.e., it was 50% of a much larger value (Figure 3). Therefore, expressing energy derived from fat simply as a percentage of energy expenditure without consideration of the rate of total energy expenditure is misleading. Likewise, the reduction in the rate of appearance of plasma FFA with increasing intensity of exercise does not prove that exercising at a low intensity is the best way to reduce fat stored in adipose tissue...

To the OP - use whatever machines you like best and will most consistently do. Exercise helps create a caloric deficit, which is how you lose weight. Ideally, a combination of cardio and strength training would be used because both are beneficial for different (and some similar) reasons. But the caloric deficit (eating less than you burn) is the driver for weight/fat loss.