Beachbody programs...help!

Options
I am a runner, but wanting to change things up. However, I don't want to give up running...just supplement with something different! I know I need strength training, but right now my biggest goal is to lose 20 pounds. I am trying to decide between Chalean Extreme and T25. I have started Chalean before, but did not complete it. I liked it, just fell off the wagon for whatever reason. I am nervous that T25 will be too much HIIT...I just ran a half marathon, but that is way different than running a long, slow distance. I have heard of problems and great results from both. I can't decide! I want to try Chalean, but I'm nervous it's not the best choice for weight loss and I really don't want to get discouraged. I plan to run twice per week with whatever program I choose. Opinions on these programs or maybe another one you love or have loved?

Replies

• jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    If you're going with strength training, and these are the only two options you are considering, I would go for Chalean.......but it's not a huge victory in its favor.
    T25 is indeed too much leaned towards HIIT. Sure, there is some strength training involved, but it feels more like an afterthought in favor of the HIIT. Chalean has some good strength training, but I find Chalene Johnson abrasive and annoying. She's like a slightly more tolerable Jillian Michaels, and I find JM absolutely intolerable.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    As far as strength training from BB, I tend to lean towards most anything made by Tony Horton. His programs are more aimed at strength training for many different levels of fitness, and he's not as annoying (to me, at least).
  • jessi1199
    jessi1199 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    As far as strength training from BB, I tend to lean towards most anything made by Tony Horton. His programs are more aimed at strength training for many different levels of fitness, and he's not as annoying (to me, at least).

Thanks so much! I don't know why, but I hadn't considered P90X. I would probably go for the P90X3 due to time constraints. Is that a good program for beginners for strength? I don't mind pushing myself because I want results, but I do not want to feel like I can't do it, either. I have heard that Tony is great!!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Or go free/super cheap and use something like Fitness Blender? I've done Insanity but I'm not sure I'd fork out for other programs again.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,218 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm currently training for a half marathon (end of March) and also doing Chalean Extreme. I *LOVE* it. I haven't done T25, but HAVE done Power 90 (not p90x). P90 was too much cardio to do along side a half-marathon training program. I really really really (did I mention really) like the Chalean Extreme program. I'm doing only the resistance training portion (so 3 days a week). And thanks to the additional resistance training, this is the first running season I've trained for a half and not injured myself by this point in training (my last training run prior to race day is this weekend). Maybe it's because I'm getting better at running, but I think a great deal of the credit for me having not rolled my ankle or pulled a muscle should go to the resistance training I'm doing thanks to Chalean Extreme. :)
  • jessi1199
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    I'm currently training for a half marathon (end of March) and also doing Chalean Extreme. I *LOVE* it. I haven't done T25, but HAVE done Power 90 (not p90x). P90 was too much cardio to do along side a half-marathon training program. I really really really (did I mention really) like the Chalean Extreme program. I'm doing only the resistance training portion (so 3 days a week). And thanks to the additional resistance training, this is the first running season I've trained for a half and not injured myself by this point in training (my last training run prior to race day is this weekend). Maybe it's because I'm getting better at running, but I think a great deal of the credit for me having not rolled my ankle or pulled a muscle should go to the resistance training I'm doing thanks to Chalean Extreme. :)

Thank you! I do think I would enjoy this program a lot (just based on the little bit I did in the past). My concern is that it might not be the best choice for my weight loss goals. Like, maybe I should do another program before CLX? But then, I've heard of some being very successful losing weight with CLX. I don't know! (-:

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i know a lot of triathletes I chat with do hammer and chisel for strength training which is a BB program - I'm considering doing the BB online streaming - $13 a month - cheaper than a gym membership and I can do it at home
  • jayned9
    jayned9 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think 21df or extreme are good supplements to running.
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I will add another great endorsement for Tony Horton an P90x for strength training. I've done P90X 3 times over the past couple of years and if you stick with it you will see great strength gains in a relatively short period of time. I'm doing a Hybrid X program right now where I substitute the P90X cardio workouts with other types of workouts - Yoga and Spin. You could do the same with your running schedule.
  • hpacaro
    hpacaro Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Out of the two, I would go the Chalean Extreme route personally and having done both, but would recommend 21 Day Fix as a better all around option for weight loss and strength coupled with running.
  • jessi1199
    Options
    hpacaro wrote: »
    Out of the two, I would go the Chalean Extreme route personally and having done both, but would recommend 21 Day Fix as a better all around option for weight loss and strength coupled with running.

That is another option I was considering, too! I've done 21DF before and I really like it. I also have Extreme, but haven't tried it. I could start with 21DF and then move to Extreme. I'll probably do 3 workouts and 2-3 runs per week. I am interested in P90X3, but I don't have that program and the others I do...I feel like I should probably do what I have before spending more money. Ha!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    i know a lot of triathletes I chat with do hammer and chisel for strength training which is a BB program - I'm considering doing the BB online streaming - $13 a month - cheaper than a gym membership and I can do it at home

The problem I have with H&C is it's a lot of legs... and I love legs (and H&C). I would tend to lean towards either P90X (a bit more old school standard lifting) or CLX.
  • fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've done 3 rounds of H&C / 2 Rounds of 21DF Extreme and in my 2nd round of Body Beast. Pros and Cons to each. The only way to form an opinion is to do them yourself. I began with H&C to help with my running weaknesses and it seem to help for me.

You can also go outside of BeachBody and find other routines that help for running. Runnersworld site has many.
  • HomeatWDW
    HomeatWDW Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I recommend the on demand subscription so you can try them all. I think it was $99 for the year, but that's for access to every BB program.
  • jessi1199
    Options
    jtegirl1 wrote: »
    jessi1199 wrote: »

Thanks so much! I don't know why, but I hadn't considered P90X. I would probably go for the P90X3 due to time constraints. Is that a good program for beginners for strength? I don't mind pushing myself because I want results, but I do not want to feel like I can't do it, either. I have heard that Tony is great!!

I have P90X3 and you will get a great workout with the strength training video's. I didn't do the cardio vids. I love the 30 min workout, I would do them on my lunch break. I don't often have time for an hour, so the 30 min vids work great.

Thank you! I do prefer shorter workouts...I really don't think I'd stick with the original P90X program simply because it's longer. Might be pathetic, but at least I'm honest! (-:
  • jessi1199
    Options
    HomeatWDW wrote: »
    I recommend the on demand subscription so you can try them all. I think it was $99 for the year, but that's for access to every BB program.

Yes, I'm considering that as well. It really is a good deal, especially compared with just purchasing a single program. And, no wait-time on getting started!