Cellulite and weightloss

Options
I came across several articles with "I have no idea" credencials about cellulite, creams, treatments etc. Some of 'em say it gets worse with weightloss, some say you should 'eat cleaner' go on some 'detox' while others say there is no known 'cure' for cellulite. I've seen some really expensive laser fatburning treatments that claim to work after 10 appointments and I don't know what to think. I've been using those topical thermogenic creams that claim to help better appearance of your buttoks and thighten and firm the skin. Does anybody have a suggestion what should be done? Does it really get worse if you loose the pounds? What actually works?

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Mine completely disappeared. Like completely
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    There is nothing you can apply topically. Cellulite is genetics, body fat and muscle mass dictated. You can minimise the appearance by lowering body fat and increasing muscle mass. But some women will still have it because of genetics. Even super lean models have cellulite.
  • sodaceratops
    sodaceratops Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I came across several articles with "I have no idea" credencials about cellulite, creams, treatments etc. Some of 'em say it gets worse with weightloss, some say you should 'eat cleaner' go on some 'detox' while others say there is no known 'cure' for cellulite. I've seen some really expensive laser fatburning treatments that claim to work after 10 appointments and I don't know what to think. I've been using those topical thermogenic creams that claim to help better appearance of your buttoks and thighten and firm the skin. Does anybody have a suggestion what should be done? Does it really get worse if you loose the pounds? What actually works?

Having been someone who has lost 100 lbs (and gained it back) I can say that my cellulite has never gone away, maybe lessened but I like it. It gives me character and texture.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    It's genetics. Some people can never get rid of it. I have it no matter how much I weigh, to be honest. I have it no matter how many squats I do. It's just genetic in my case. It's better to learn to embrace it. Cellulite is a normal part of having a body.
  • Windrunner666
    Windrunner666 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    There is nothing you can apply topically. Cellulite is genetics, body fat and muscle mass dictated. You can minimise the appearance by lowering body fat and increasing muscle mass. But some women will still have it because of genetics. Even super lean models have cellulite.

I just want mine not to show as much. I haveno problem having it, just feels *kitten* when I wear shorts and my thighs are lookin' like orange peel.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights, lowering my BF% helped.. also building muscle (bulking) then cutting reduced it too.. but I still have it no matter what I do.

I hate it but oh well.
  • Windrunner666
    Windrunner666 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Lifting weights, lowering my BF% helped.. also building muscle (bulking) then cutting reduced it too.. but I still have it no matter what I do.

I hate it but oh well.

Darnit. :/ I hoped that in 21st century, somebody would have an adequate treatment for this. ('cept the lifting and weightloss part)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I hate it but oh well.

Darnit. :/ I hoped that in 21st century, somebody would have an adequate treatment for this. ('cept the lifting and weightloss part)

But.. with a tan and the right lighting... I am good to go. Ya I still know it's there, ya it still bothers me.. but let's be honest, I am a mom of two so there are a lot of other things that bother me (loose skin, sags, stretch marks, you name it).

I just gotta rock it!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Making sure you use a good moisturiser can make it look a bit better superficially, cellulite plus arid skin isn't a great look.

Mine has actually rather suddenly started to diminish significantly in the last 14lbs I've lost. I won't know if it will mostly or completely go until I get to goal though which is still maybe 15lbs or so away. I see some women who are a lot bigger than me with silky smooth thighs, lucky ducks!
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    It helps to know what cellulite is. It's subcutaneous fat pushing through a layer of connective tissue near the bottom layer of your skin. Knowing this will help you figure out what might and what might not work to get rid of it.

- Losing fat overall might help. If there's less fat to push through that connective tissue, then the appearance of cellulite should diminish as you lose.
    - On the other hand, losing fat overall might not help, if the root cause isn't the fat itself but a loosening of the connective tissue. Once that starts -- and it can start fairly soon after puberty -- there isn't anything that can restore it. This is why over 85% of post-pubertal women have at least some. It's also why some very heavy women have none, while some very lean women have lots.
    - What definitely will NOT help are topical cremes, lotions, and so on. Anyone selling you anything to apply to your skin that claims to reduce or eliminate cellulite is lying.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    It helps to know what cellulite is. It's subcutaneous fat pushing through a layer of connective tissue near the bottom layer of your skin. Knowing this will help you figure out what might and what might not work to get rid of it.

- Losing fat overall might help. If there's less fat to push through that connective tissue, then the appearance of cellulite should diminish as you lose.
    - On the other hand, losing fat overall might not help, if the root cause isn't the fat itself but a loosening of the connective tissue. Once that starts -- and it can start fairly soon after puberty -- there isn't anything that can restore it. This is why over 85% of post-pubertal women have at least some. It's also why some very heavy women have none, while some very lean women have lots.
    - What definitely will NOT help are topical cremes, lotions, and so on. Anyone selling you anything to apply to your skin that claims to reduce or eliminate cellulite is lying.

This. So much this.

Cellulite is more about the structure of your skin than anything. The easiest way to understand it is by thinking of your skin like the cross weave of a fabric. Some fabric is more loosely woven and you can see holes where the fibers cross, some fabric is more tightly woven with no visible holes. People with cellulite have the loose fibers which allows the fat to push through creating the dimpled look. Reducing body fat will reduce the appearance, and building muscle will help reduce it more, but if your genetically 'blessed' with cellulite you will probably always have it somewhere.

I've had cellulite since I was 12, even when I was a size 2. I got the gene from my grandmother. I literally have cellulite in the exact same places she did. My thighs are covered with it (front thigh cellulite is the WORST) and I'm always embarrassed to wear shorts or a bathing suit. To be honest though, now that I've got very large tattoos on my back and arms so nobody's looking at my thighs when I'm at the beach anymore and I don't worry about as much as I used to :) That's not why I got them but it's an unexpected perk.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Mine disappears when I strength train regularly.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I have had cellulite since puberty. The only thing that has helped lessen it is weight training.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Less body fat = less cellulite. I had it all over the place 50 pounds ago. My arms, stomach, all over my legs. Now I only have it on my thighs. I still have a lot of fat to lose so I'm sure it will start disappearing off more of my thighs as I continue losing. Cellulite is just the fat bulging out of the skin structure most common in women. The less fat there is, the less of that appearance you will get. Don't waste money on all those creams and treatments. If they do anything the effect is only temporary.
  • Roobyzooby
    Roobyzooby Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    As I have been loosing the weight, about 5 stone in total now. I have been slapping on a bit of coconut oil, on my thighs and buttocks. It's not a miracle cure, it just gives my skin a nicer glow and for me seems to help the overall appearance. It's cheap and cheerful and it works for me, just play around with the the amount you use each time, as it is an oil :o