50 carbs 20 protein 30 fat

Options
How will eating more carbs help me lose weight :o

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Because carbs are life!

My daily carb intake is between 45-55% and I'm down 11lbs (and take in close to 300g of carbs a day)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well those are percentage and they may or may not be appropriate based on your goals and how aggressive you are with your calorie deficit. I tend to favor increased protein and carbs during weight loss as they satiate me the most. I actually cycle with high carb/low carb days, but those low carb days are a struggle... soo little volume.

But like others said, calories > macros.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    1 gram of carbs = 4 calories, 1 gram of protein = 4 calories, 1 gram of fat = 9 calories. It all boils down to eating less calories than you burn. In relation to weight loss it makes no difference how you put these together.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Distribution of macros is quite individual. I have found that for me, MFP default has bit too low protein amount to avoid muscle mass loss while losing weight, so i have adjusted mine to 40/40/20 (though i don't follow it 100% strictly every single day).
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I agree you can do things by having certain percentages, but in regards to weight loss it really makes no difference. I maintain a much higher protein percentage as well.
  • green_owl
    green_owl Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You just have to experiment what works the best for you. Try different percentages and see how you feel. I felt hungry all the time with that much carbs so I adjusted my settings to C 30 P 35 F 35 Feels great! But that's very individual
  • pcsutton8768
    pcsutton8768 Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    For weight loss...Carbs are da debil. Look into a Ketogenic diet. You want about 80% fat, 15% protein, and 5% carbs. This will get your body into ketosis and change your metabolism over from burning the sugars created by carb intake - to burning your body's fat stores.

Just Google 'Keto' and do a little reading.

Good luck!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    For weight loss...Carbs are da debil. Look into a Ketogenic diet. You want about 80% fat, 15% protein, and 5% carbs. This will get your body into ketosis and change your metabolism over from burning the sugars created by carb intake - to burning your body's fat stores.

Good luck!
    "For weight loss carbs are da debil"
    :laugh:
    Suuuuuure.

For me, high fats are the 'debil'... my digestive system HATES anything over 40% fats.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2017
    Options

Good luck!

Wow, I guess i didn't lose 50lbs while eating 250-360g of carbs a day.

The bold is a typical ketogenic spin. You are talking about substrate utilization.. the difference between utilizing sugar/glucose as a primary source of fuel or fat. Yes, when you switch to ketogenic, you burn more fat... But it's not body fat... it's stored fat. Eat more fat, store more fat, burn more fat... Eat more carbs, store more carbs, burn for carbs. Net body fat loss is driven off of energy balance.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10436946/are-all-calories-equal-part-2-kevins-halls-new-study#latest
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Good luck!

Wow, I guess i didn't lose 50lbs while eating 250-360g of carbs a day.

The bold is a typical ketogenic spin. You are talking about substrate utilization.. the difference between utilizing sugar/glucose as a primary source of fuel or fat. Yes, when you switch to ketogenic, you burn more fat... But it's not body fat... it's stored fat. Eat more fat, store more fat, burn more fat... Eat more carbs, store more carbs, burn for carbs. Net body fat loss is driven off of energy balance.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10436946/are-all-calories-equal-part-2-kevins-halls-new-study#latest
    He's right ya know ^