Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I have eaten three servings of fruit, including mixes berries, apples, pears, bananas, oranges, strawberries, blueberries just about every day for the last many years, including the last 10 weeks during which I lost 13 lbs. I have no particular health problems, for which I am very grateful.

I understand the areguments behind ultra-low-carb and I have tried it. I just didn't have enough energy while on it. I typically expend 600-700kcals daily on exercise, maybe that's why.

You should still be expending the same amount of calories during exercise while low carb. Just the source changes. Fat instead of sugars/carbs.

Some low carbers notice a very slight drop in energy for a few weeks while the body is fat adapting. It's slight though. If you experienced a large dip in energy, chances are that it was an electrolyte imbalance because you did not increase sodium to make up for the water and electrolytes you were losing.

I would say it depends on the sport... because if it was that simple, you would have a lot more athletes that LCHF in season.

We need to discuss this again in 20 years once the diet is more widely known. Most people who ind out I restrict carbs instantly worry about my vitamins and my starving brain. LOL It may be used more once people get pat the old preconceptions and myths out there.

It really is that simple. Athletes who switched to LCHF, while taking care of their electrolytes noticed no dip in energy, or a slight dip. Those who didn't take care of their electrolytes are often floored and quit.

I do think explosive sports, like power lifting or 100 m dash, would do well with a carb up. Extreme endurance athletes tend to do better LCHF. The vast majority of athletes in the middle could probably go either way, or mix and match (LCHF with a carb feed during competition).

Kenyans and Ethiopians would have a good laugh at this one. They've been winning marathons and dominated the sport for decades and their typical diet has been studied extensively. It's very high carb ~70%+. And that's not a special runners' diet. It's what the traditional East African diet is like.

Yeah... The traditional East African diet is hardly what most athletes eat.... I think their success may have a bit of a genetic component.

I know a teacher from africa and his kids will tell you they run fast from years of practice due to trying to outrun the lions and other wild animals lol

What a thoroughly ignorant and daft statement!

thats what they told us. Im not joking. but you take it however you want to take it. they said it in joking matter. they are good people. I didnt say it to be ignorant or daft.just sharing what a person from africa told me.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »
    The same science that villified egg yolks for many years

They are learning as they go along and with this learning comes adjustments to dietary recommendations. However it does not change the fact that current dietary recommendations are what the most recent science says is of most benefit for the majority of people. It will change as time goes on and more is known a out our bodies but the theory of LCHF and ketosis has been around long enough for these recommendations to change if there was real substance to the claims made about it. Currently is is rated as one of the unhealthiest diet plans instead. Cutting out a whole food group and almost eliminating another will do that.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    What other group?
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

Cutting out a whole food group and almost eliminating another will do that.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »
    What other group?

Cutting out a whole food group and almost eliminating another will do that.

Fibre maybe?? I'm not arguing the fact, just guessing what she may have meant.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    The fat adapted athletes are the ones passing the fueling stations by. And yes, I realize that is the minority. That's what I've been saying. Not many do it. Yet.

This needs its own thread. A recent article on athletes diet during the Tour de France states that carbs are key.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I have eaten three servings of fruit, including mixes berries, apples, pears, bananas, oranges, strawberries, blueberries just about every day for the last many years, including the last 10 weeks during which I lost 13 lbs. I have no particular health problems, for which I am very grateful.

I understand the areguments behind ultra-low-carb and I have tried it. I just didn't have enough energy while on it. I typically expend 600-700kcals daily on exercise, maybe that's why.

You should still be expending the same amount of calories during exercise while low carb. Just the source changes. Fat instead of sugars/carbs.

Some low carbers notice a very slight drop in energy for a few weeks while the body is fat adapting. It's slight though. If you experienced a large dip in energy, chances are that it was an electrolyte imbalance because you did not increase sodium to make up for the water and electrolytes you were losing.

I would say it depends on the sport... because if it was that simple, you would have a lot more athletes that LCHF in season.

We need to discuss this again in 20 years once the diet is more widely known. Most people who ind out I restrict carbs instantly worry about my vitamins and my starving brain. LOL It may be used more once people get pat the old preconceptions and myths out there.

And I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that none of those people you've talked to are elite athletes.

Elite athletes are in the know and constantly researching how to become better at their sport. They have coaches, teams, dietitians...

If you think the reason that they're not doing keto is because they just don't know about the wonderful secret being tried by every Tom, Dick and Harry at the New Year's Resolution Gym, I've got some beachfront property in Oklahoma I'd be happy to sell you.

Yes. Um haha?

No I don't know a lot of elite athletes. Well, there was my father who played professional football, was overweight his entire life, and then died young of cancer. I don't think that diet benefited him. Sure he had some energy to play with but was he healthy?

My uncle is LCHF and placed in the master's world championships in rowing. He used to eat "normal" decided to try LCHF after I loaned him Wheat Belly a few years ago. He did more research, implemented it, and never went back.

I think most people won't try LCHF is because they don't want to stop eating carbs - mainly refined carbs. It's why I put off trying it for a year.

Most people won't try a LCHF diet because of the flawed science behind it and studies to support it are limited. They realise that there is nothing evil about carbs and that having a diet rich in complex carbs is part of a balanced and healthy diet. In fact the healthiest nations and the healthiest diets all contain grains, fruit and vegetables in high amounts. They all contain fish and poultry and plant based oils in moderate amounts. They all contain mych smaller amounts of red meat and very little sugar and processed meat. This is why the food pyramid is like it is. For most people this is a healthy way of living s proven time and again by science. When new information comes to light, the pyramid is adjusted accordingly. Not everyone will be best on the diet recommended by world health organisations because we are all different but the vast majority will, including those with insulin resistance.

The Atkins diet has been around for over 60 years. There is nothing new about it. Another 20 years is not going to change the views of the experts who research food and science. If most professional athletes have not adopted this diet for an increase in performance there is a very good reason why. That is because at this top level studies have shown that it will impede their performanxe rather than help it.

You have your be.iefs which are based on gut feel and a bit of anecdotal evidence but not science.

But the science behind a higher carb diet has been shown to be flawed and this fact has gained acceptance. In fact the food pyramid is outdated. It was released in the 1970's and is no longer recommended by any government agencies that I know of. I do like the fact that sugar is tiny little sprinkles on top. ;)

That pyramid had a lot of food on it. I can't imagine eating 6-11 servings of bread, cereal, rice and pasta per day, even when I followed the low fat high carb guidelines.

USDA_Food_Pyramid.gif

And no one said carbs are evil. Every once in a while someone will write that, "sugar is evil", usually as an over exaggeration of their experiences or after reading pop culture "science", but the vast majority of low carbers eat vegetables and fruits, and some include some grains. I even had a bit of curried rice yesterday. Not much, but enough to assure you that I know I was not eating pure evil. Mmmm, evil... ;)

I based my food decisions on science, medical advice, and my personal experiences after trying it. Not a gut feeling, unless you count the fact that my gut is improved by not eating grains and sugars (at least not often or much).

Dietary needs are going to differ between people. I agree with you there. There is no one size fits all diet - including the food pyramid.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The fat adapted athletes are the ones passing the fueling stations by. And yes, I realize that is the minority. That's what I've been saying. Not many do it. Yet.

This needs its own thread. A recent article on athletes diet during the Tour de France states that carbs are key.

It does need its own thread. Agreed.

Or you could look at this:
    Low-carb diet propelled Chris Froome to three Tour de France titles

Carbs are definitely key for those who are reliant on glucose as their main fuel. I agree with you there.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

And I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that none of those people you've talked to are elite athletes.

Elite athletes are in the know and constantly researching how to become better at their sport. They have coaches, teams, dietitians...

If you think the reason that they're not doing keto is because they just don't know about the wonderful secret being tried by every Tom, Dick and Harry at the New Year's Resolution Gym, I've got some beachfront property in Oklahoma I'd be happy to sell you.

Yes. Um haha?

No I don't know a lot of elite athletes. Well, there was my father who played professional football, was overweight his entire life, and then died young of cancer. I don't think that diet benefited him. Sure he had some energy to play with but was he healthy?

My uncle is LCHF and placed in the master's world championships in rowing. He used to eat "normal" decided to try LCHF after I loaned him Wheat Belly a few years ago. He did more research, implemented it, and never went back.

I think most people won't try LCHF is because they don't want to stop eating carbs - mainly refined carbs. It's why I put off trying it for a year.

Most people won't try a LCHF diet because of the flawed science behind it and studies to support it are limited. They realise that there is nothing evil about carbs and that having a diet rich in complex carbs is part of a balanced and healthy diet. In fact the healthiest nations and the healthiest diets all contain grains, fruit and vegetables in high amounts. They all contain fish and poultry and plant based oils in moderate amounts. They all contain mych smaller amounts of red meat and very little sugar and processed meat. This is why the food pyramid is like it is. For most people this is a healthy way of living s proven time and again by science. When new information comes to light, the pyramid is adjusted accordingly. Not everyone will be best on the diet recommended by world health organisations because we are all different but the vast majority will, including those with insulin resistance.

The Atkins diet has been around for over 60 years. There is nothing new about it. Another 20 years is not going to change the views of the experts who research food and science. If most professional athletes have not adopted this diet for an increase in performance there is a very good reason why. That is because at this top level studies have shown that it will impede their performanxe rather than help it.

You have your be.iefs which are based on gut feel and a bit of anecdotal evidence but not science.

But the science behind a higher carb diet has been shown to be flawed and this fact has gained acceptance. In fact the food pyramid is outdated. It was released in the 1970's and is no longer recommended by any government agencies that I know of. I do like the fact that sugar is tiny little sprinkles on top. ;)

That pyramid had a lot of food on it. I can't imagine eating 6-11 servings of bread, cereal, rice and pasta per day, even when I followed the low fat high carb guidelines.

USDA_Food_Pyramid.gif

And no one said carbs are evil. Every once in a while someone will write that, "sugar is evil", usually as an over exaggeration of their experiences or after reading pop culture "science", but the vast majority of low carbers eat vegetables and fruits, and some include some grains. I even had a bit of curried rice yesterday. Not much, but enough to assure you that I know I was not eating pure evil. Mmmm, evil... ;)

I based my food decisions on science, medical advice, and my personal experiences after trying it. Not a gut feeling, unless you count the fact that my gut is improved by not eating grains and sugars (at least not often or much).

Dietary needs are going to differ between people. I agree with you there. There is no one size fits all diet - including the food pyramid.

This is the Aussie version,

akg1n44b92b3.jpg
  • Lillymoo01
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Exactly how is it flawed and out of date? It might help if you actually posted the current US food pyramid rather than an outdated one. It was recently updated to reduce sugar intake and has changed considerably over time. Looks much different than when I was a child. The pyramid itself is not flawed, the fact that the majority of people do not follow its recommendations is what is causing the problem. Not everyone can eat by these recommendations for a number of different health reasons but if, as a majority, we followed these recommendations while being mindful of CICO we would be a much healthier society.
  • Lillymoo01
    Options
    By the way, the group pretty much being eliminated in a LCHF diets is grains (no surprise there) and the group being considerably restricted is fruit and vegetables. There are so many of these that those on this diet won't eat because of their carb and sugar content.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    By the way, the group pretty much being eliminated in a LCHF diets is grains (no surprise there) and the group being considerably restricted is fruit and vegetables. There are so many of these that those on this diet won't eat because of their carb and sugar content.

And no or limited beans and lentils! One of the healthiest most nutrient dense foods.
  • FatPorkyChop
    FatPorkyChop Posts: 83 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I disagree with a lot of people here because I simply have a different experience: no keto, no weighing, no logging... I eat just healthy food (that includes as many fruits that I need/want) I enjoy and sometimes a high calorie meal (without making myself sick over it) , do some exercise, try to get 8 hours sleep (when the baby let me..) and lost all the weight without any suffering... the key was to seriously cut down on alcohol (2/3 glasses every two weeks) .
    And yes I eat complex carbs at every meal, it did not do any harm and it keep me satisfied
  • FatPorkyChop
    FatPorkyChop Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

It really is that simple. Athletes who switched to LCHF, while taking care of their electrolytes noticed no dip in energy, or a slight dip. Those who didn't take care of their electrolytes are often floored and quit.

I do think explosive sports, like power lifting or 100 m dash, would do well with a carb up. Extreme endurance athletes tend to do better LCHF. The vast majority of athletes in the middle could probably go either way, or mix and match (LCHF with a carb feed during competition).

Low carb athletes also have a huge drop out rate through failing to finish.
    Extreme and regular endurance athletes also eat a whole load of carbs during competition, unless they are happy to be plodders at the back of the field.

Fuelling for sporting performance is incredibly well studied, it's no coincidence elite athletes eat a whole load of carbs.

You should actually go to an endurance event or partake in one - you can almost smell the sugar.

But you know this how?

I ran long distance until my arthritis made that impossible. My knees started to swell for weeks once I got past 30k. I studied that old science, It largely came from a high carb bias.
    sijomial wrote: »

Low carb athletes also have a huge drop out rate through failing to finish.
    Extreme and regular endurance athletes also eat a whole load of carbs during competition, unless they are happy to be plodders at the back of the field.

Fuelling for sporting performance is incredibly well studied, it's no coincidence elite athletes eat a whole load of carbs.

You should actually go to an endurance event or partake in one - you can almost smell the sugar.

But you know this how?

I ran long distance until my arthritis made that impossible. My knees started to swell for weeks once I got past 30k. I studied that old science, It largely came from a high carb bias.

he's not wrong.... I have been around athletes most of my life and they never restricted their carbs quite the opposite....your experience though may be different and this isn't applying to you but that does not mean he is wrong.
  • klingonbarbie
    klingonbarbie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    as a very overweight vegan (yes we do exist!!!) I go over my daily sugar allowance everyday, but my sugar comes from fruits...I feel healthier for my vast fruit cosumption, i'm not a fruitatian as I eat processed junk ...I avoid sugar based drinks such as colas, my skin glows for a woman of almost 60 & despite my weight loss being slow (chronic underactive thyroid ) i get bloods tests done every few months & my doctor says there is no problem with my high natural sugar intake...
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Kenyans and Ethiopians would have a good laugh at this one. They've been winning marathons and dominated the sport for decades and their typical diet has been studied extensively. It's very high carb ~70%+. And that's not a special runners' diet. It's what the traditional East African diet is like.

Yeah... The traditional East African diet is hardly what most athletes eat.... I think their success may have a bit of a genetic component.

I know a teacher from africa and his kids will tell you they run fast from years of practice due to trying to outrun the lions and other wild animals lol

What a thoroughly ignorant and daft statement!

thats what they told us. Im not joking. but you take it however you want to take it. they said it in joking matter. they are good people. I didnt say it to be ignorant or daft.just sharing what a person from africa told me.

I get it, people make up and retell stupid and idiotic stories all the time.

A study of children in the Kenyan region that has produced a large number of elite marathon runners found that children walked/ran an average of 1 mile from home to school and back home for lunch and their average distance covered was ~7.5 km per day.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/peak-performance/why-are-kenyan-distance-runners-so-fast

No mention of lion chases.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Nike is currently running a project to see if a group of elite runners can break the 2-hour marathon "barrier." They selected four runners for this project. I wasn't able to find diet details for all of them, but I imagine any one of them doing keto would be noteworthy enough to call out in coverage of the project. One of them, Eliud Kipchoge, has a diet in which the staples are rice and cornmeal mush.

"In an era of marginal gains, Kipchoge’s approach is distinctly low-tech. He consumes milk from cows that roam the fields near his camp and his meals center around rice or the Kenyan staple of ugali, with an occasional helping of beef."

http://www.runnersworld.com/elite-runners/the-simple-life-of-one-of-the-worlds-best-marathoners

http://www.runnersworld.com/marathon/nikes-audacious-plan-break-the-2-hour-marathon-barrier-in-2017

I'm not saying that people doing keto can't do endurance activities, but when you look at what people *actually doing endurance* tend to overwhelmingly choose, it isn't keto. And you have to figure that people in the field -- both amateur and elites -- understand how their bodies perform best.

arent they also testing a new shoe at that event for nike? to see if they can shave time off their previous times?

Yes, I think they created a new shoe specifically for it. I don't know much about it though.