Fruits = Sugar?

Options

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    HeidiGrrrl wrote: »
    YES! Sugar is a killer! That's why those of us on a ketogenic diet only eat raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and strawberries, and only up to 1/2 cup once in a great while as a "treat". They are the lowest in carbohydrates, and they have a decent amount of fiber (some of the carbs are insoluble fiber, which your body can't digest, so some of us subtract the fiber grams from the carb grams for net grams). We also don't eat any grains or root vegetables for the same reason. They turn to glucose in the bloodstream, causing the insulin response, and insulin is the fat-storing hormone. There is ALWAYS a medical reason for EVERYBODY to NOT eat sugar. Sugar causes high blood pressure, heart disease, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, Type II diabetes, metabolic syndrome, fatty liver, leads to some cancers and neurological disorders, like Parkinsons and Alzheimers, some epilepsy cases and may contribute to autism. There's a reason fruit is called "nature's candy". And it matters not what type of sugar it is, whether it's sucrose, glucose, fructose, or any type of -ose. It's all the same once it's in the bloodstream, and all cause the same problems. This information has been known for DECADES, but deep pockets keep the people ill-informed, and the high carb/low fat diet simply won't go away, even though that's what's caused the obesity and diabetes epidemic worldwide. Don't believe me? Google "Sugar Industry Pays off Harvard Scientists".

Aaaand, I wonder what Lyle McDonald would say if he read this drivel? *shakes head*. It's no wonder why so many get so confused with weight loss and nutrition.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I have eaten three servings of fruit, including mixes berries, apples, pears, bananas, oranges, strawberries, blueberries just about every day for the last many years, including the last 10 weeks during which I lost 13 lbs. I have no particular health problems, for which I am very grateful.

I understand the areguments behind ultra-low-carb and I have tried it. I just didn't have enough energy while on it. I typically expend 600-700kcals daily on exercise, maybe that's why.

You should still be expending the same amount of calories during exercise while low carb. Just the source changes. Fat instead of sugars/carbs.

Some low carbers notice a very slight drop in energy for a few weeks while the body is fat adapting. It's slight though. If you experienced a large dip in energy, chances are that it was an electrolyte imbalance because you did not increase sodium to make up for the water and electrolytes you were losing.

I would say it depends on the sport... because if it was that simple, you would have a lot more athletes that LCHF in season.

We need to discuss this again in 20 years once the diet is more widely known. Most people who ind out I restrict carbs instantly worry about my vitamins and my starving brain. LOL It may be used more once people get pat the old preconceptions and myths out there.

It really is that simple. Athletes who switched to LCHF, while taking care of their electrolytes noticed no dip in energy, or a slight dip. Those who didn't take care of their electrolytes are often floored and quit.

I do think explosive sports, like power lifting or 100 m dash, would do well with a carb up. Extreme endurance athletes tend to do better LCHF. The vast majority of athletes in the middle could probably go either way, or mix and match (LCHF with a carb feed during competition).

You'd think 80 years is long enough to know its not that beneficial for sports ;).

80 years will be. Probably. ;)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Grapes
    Blueberries
    Mango
    Strawberries
    Does eating a lot fruits is bad when it comes to sugar ?

After all this arguing, I'm lost! Some help y'all are!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    For me ultra-low-carb=ultra-high-crab. I needs me some carbs, but not too many!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2017
    Options
    For me ultra-low-carb=ultra-high-crab. I needs me some carbs, but not too many!

That's good. If anything, i would tend to focus more on calories and protein/fiber. Calories because it drives weight loss/maintenance/gain; protein for it's satiety, and links to muscle maintenance (when combined with resistance training) and metabolism; and fiber since it also supports satiety and supports GI health.

Overall, I tend to favor high carb, moderate to high protein (175g / day).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have eaten three servings of fruit, including mixes berries, apples, pears, bananas, oranges, strawberries, blueberries just about every day for the last many years, including the last 10 weeks during which I lost 13 lbs. I have no particular health problems, for which I am very grateful.

I understand the areguments behind ultra-low-carb and I have tried it. I just didn't have enough energy while on it. I typically expend 600-700kcals daily on exercise, maybe that's why.

You should still be expending the same amount of calories during exercise while low carb. Just the source changes. Fat instead of sugars/carbs.

Some low carbers notice a very slight drop in energy for a few weeks while the body is fat adapting. It's slight though. If you experienced a large dip in energy, chances are that it was an electrolyte imbalance because you did not increase sodium to make up for the water and electrolytes you were losing.

I would say it depends on the sport... because if it was that simple, you would have a lot more athletes that LCHF in season.

We need to discuss this again in 20 years once the diet is more widely known. Most people who ind out I restrict carbs instantly worry about my vitamins and my starving brain. LOL It may be used more once people get pat the old preconceptions and myths out there.

It really is that simple. Athletes who switched to LCHF, while taking care of their electrolytes noticed no dip in energy, or a slight dip. Those who didn't take care of their electrolytes are often floored and quit.

I do think explosive sports, like power lifting or 100 m dash, would do well with a carb up. Extreme endurance athletes tend to do better LCHF. The vast majority of athletes in the middle could probably go either way, or mix and match (LCHF with a carb feed during competition).

Kenyans and Ethiopians would have a good laugh at this one. They've been winning marathons and dominated the sport for decades and their typical diet has been studied extensively. It's very high carb ~70%+. And that's not a special runners' diet. It's what the traditional East African diet is like.

Nike is currently running a project to see if a group of elite runners can break the 2-hour marathon "barrier." They selected four runners for this project. I wasn't able to find diet details for all of them, but I imagine any one of them doing keto would be noteworthy enough to call out in coverage of the project. One of them, Eliud Kipchoge, has a diet in which the staples are rice and cornmeal mush.

"In an era of marginal gains, Kipchoge’s approach is distinctly low-tech. He consumes milk from cows that roam the fields near his camp and his meals center around rice or the Kenyan staple of ugali, with an occasional helping of beef."

http://www.runnersworld.com/elite-runners/the-simple-life-of-one-of-the-worlds-best-marathoners

http://www.runnersworld.com/marathon/nikes-audacious-plan-break-the-2-hour-marathon-barrier-in-2017

I'm not saying that people doing keto can't do endurance activities, but when you look at what people *actually doing endurance* tend to overwhelmingly choose, it isn't keto. And you have to figure that people in the field -- both amateur and elites -- understand how their bodies perform best.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

You'd think 80 years is long enough to know its not that beneficial for sports ;).

80 years will be. Probably. ;)

And it will still be inferior to carbs. We have some really smart scientist and still athletes arent jumping on the bandwagon.

Cutting carbs is benefiical to those largely sedentary and with many preexisting conditions but its not for very active people.

My point is that nothing is proven for sports in general. Nothing. One day it may be, but it isn't right now. Not even close.

There is anecdotal evidence that LCHF can be beneficial. There is way more that high carb is beneficial but that's probably because the dogma of the last 50 years has been to eat high carb low fat. I remember reading that this was partially based on carb loading athletes before endurance events. Carb loading athletes who were not high carb but simply ate more carbs prior to a large event. People made a leap between carb loading being helpful to high carb diets of those carbs (possibly plates of pasta) being good all of the time.

I think most people are not jumping on the LCHF bandwagon, and for many reasons: Carbs taste good and people don't want to give them up. Carbs are cheap and plentiful. A higher carb intake is backed by a lot of money - more than what LCHF is. and largely because it is new. There is very little science on this yet and the science out there is conflicted.

Some athletes are jumping on the bandwagon. Endurance sports are leading the way. Some mainstream sports are trying it out too. There are a couple of teams I've heard about who are going with it. I believe one is a an Australian cricket team. There are athletes who are trying it out too. Some in more explosive sports like football or basketball. Some are trying it. More are slow to try it. They've been taught fat is bad and carbs are energy though. I can see how change will be slow.

But Bolt probably will do best with carbs. You can't apply one diet to all with one sweeping brush stroke. You know that.

80 years from now should show us more.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

And I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that none of those people you've talked to are elite athletes.

Elite athletes are in the know and constantly researching how to become better at their sport. They have coaches, teams, dietitians...

If you think the reason that they're not doing keto is because they just don't know about the wonderful secret being tried by every Tom, Dick and Harry at the New Year's Resolution Gym, I've got some beachfront property in Oklahoma I'd be happy to sell you.

Yes. Um haha?

No I don't know a lot of elite athletes. Well, there was my father who played professional football, was overweight his entire life, and then died young of cancer. I don't think that diet benefited him. Sure he had some energy to play with but was he healthy?

My uncle is LCHF and placed in the master's world championships in rowing. He used to eat "normal" decided to try LCHF after I loaned him Wheat Belly a few years ago. He did more research, implemented it, and never went back.

I think most people won't try LCHF is because they don't want to stop eating carbs - mainly refined carbs. It's why I put off trying it for a year.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

And I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that none of those people you've talked to are elite athletes.

Elite athletes are in the know and constantly researching how to become better at their sport. They have coaches, teams, dietitians...

If you think the reason that they're not doing keto is because they just don't know about the wonderful secret being tried by every Tom, Dick and Harry at the New Year's Resolution Gym, I've got some beachfront property in Oklahoma I'd be happy to sell you.

Yes. Um haha?

No I don't know a lot of elite athletes. Well, there was my father who played professional football, was overweight his entire life, and then died young of cancer. I don't think that diet benefited him. Sure he had some energy to play with but was he healthy?

My uncle is LCHF and placed in the master's world championships in rowing. He used to eat "normal" decided to try LCHF after I loaned him Wheat Belly a few years ago. He did more research, implemented it, and never went back.

I think most people won't try LCHF is because they don't want to stop eating carbs - mainly refined carbs. It's why I put off trying it for a year.

Given that you don't know many elite athletes, I'm curious to know how you drew the conclusion that endurance athletes do better LCHF. Is this based on amateur endurance athletes that you know?
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Low carb athletes also have a huge drop out rate through failing to finish.
    Extreme and regular endurance athletes also eat a whole load of carbs during competition, unless they are happy to be plodders at the back of the field.

Fuelling for sporting performance is incredibly well studied, it's no coincidence elite athletes eat a whole load of carbs.

You should actually go to an endurance event or partake in one - you can almost smell the sugar.

But you know this how?

I ran long distance until my arthritis made that impossible. My knees started to swell for weeks once I got past 30k. I studied that old science, It largely came from a high carb bias.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

Kenyans and Ethiopians would have a good laugh at this one. They've been winning marathons and dominated the sport for decades and their typical diet has been studied extensively. It's very high carb ~70%+. And that's not a special runners' diet. It's what the traditional East African diet is like.

Yeah... The traditional East African diet is hardly what most athletes eat.... I think their success may have a bit of a genetic component.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    All the college athletes that I played with our knew, focused on carbs and protein. I didn't know a single LCHF... not to say there isn't some. But if they did, it was mainly in off season. Even the documented cases of LCHF athletes now, tend to carb up pre event.