Fruits = Sugar?

Options
Grapes
Blueberries
Mango
Strawberries
Does eating a lot fruits is bad when it comes to sugar ?

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition that requires you to limit your sugar intake, then no sugar isn't bad (within the context of your calorie intake goals). Many of us don't even track our sugar intake (I've switched to fiber tracking for that column in my food diary).
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You will get two sides of the fence on this one. Those that are LCHF will say yes and to limit your fruit intake to berries which are low GI. Those that follow nutrition recommendations in regards to fruit intake and sugar intake will say to eat 2 pieces a day and don't worry about the sugar content as the goodness that comes from fruit far outweighs the fructose found in fruit.

By the way WHO's recommendations for sugar intake is 25 grams a day of added sugar. This excludes sugar found naturally in fruit, vegetables and dairy.

I personally eat whatever fruit is in season, regardless of it GI and have never had problems with losing weight by doing this.If I had a medical condition where blood sugar was a concern then I would reconsider more carefully which fruit I ate.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Fruit is nature's candy.

I pay attention to my overall sugar intake regardless of whether or not it comes from a fruit.
  • yoandry_delgado7
    yoandry_delgado7 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit every day. Usually 1-3 servings a day with each serving being a different fruit than the one before. The sugar load is something I take into account, as I need to be careful of how much sweet or starch I consume for medical reasons.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Comparing fruit to candy is crazy. A candy bar is not jammed pack full of vitamins and minerals like a piece of fruit is. It does not contain fibre which will slow down the absorption of sugar into our bloodstream to prevent sudden sugar spikes. A candy bar also comprises of a different kind of sugar structure which the body breaks down differently to begin with.

"Fruit is nature's candy" is a pretty common saying. I think it just means that fruit is the closest naturally occurring substance we have to candy. Except perhaps honey.

Candy can impact the body faster than fruit (except for the sweetest or dried fruits). The fibre in fruit will slow down the BG spike... then again, so will the fat in some candies. It really varies from food to food.

This is a list of GI and glycemic load of many foods. The GL is a more accurate indicator of waht a food does to your BG, I think.
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I eat at least three servings of fruit a day. Typically, berries with breakfast (frozen berry mixes are very convenient and a cup has 70 calories), a piece of fruit with lunch (apple, orange, pear, strawberries), and another as an afternoon snack.

Fruits are not all the same, although all their calories comes from sugar. The thing to consider is the amount of fiber: higher fiber fruits are more satisfying for most people. A large orange, apple, or pear has ~90kcal with ~4.5 grams of (soluble) fiber. I think they are good in your diet. Ultra-low-carb folks may not agree.

Grapes have a lot less fiber and I avoid eating a lot of them.

A great afternoon snack is a piece of fruit with a piece of cheese. There are a wide variety of cheese sticks these days. (I like Sargento Cheddar Cheese Sticks).
  • Lillymoo01
    Options
    "Fruit is nature's candy" is a common saying but to then use that as the reason why you will not eat fruit makes little logical sense because it shows that you do not really understand so much about nutrition.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I eat at least three servings of fruit a day. Typically, berries with breakfast (frozen berry mixes are very convenient and a cup has 70 calories), a piece of fruit with lunch (apple, orange, pear, strawberries), and another as an afternoon snack.

Fruits are not all the same, although all their calories comes from sugar. The thing to consider is the amount of fiber: higher fiber fruits are more satisfying for most people. A large orange, apple, or pear has ~90kcal with ~4.5 grams of (soluble) fiber. I think they are good in your diet. Ultra-low-carb folks may not agree.

Grapes have a lot less fiber and I avoid eating a lot of them.

A great afternoon snack is a piece of fruit with a piece of cheese. There are a wide variety of cheese sticks these days. (I like Sargento Cheddar Cheese Sticks).

Most of us like fruit and think they are fine if it fits your macros and health needs... In general, most of us eat LCHF for health reasons or because it is all that has worked for us so far. Out of a necessity, as it were.
  • nvmomketo
    edited March 2017
    Options
    "Fruit is nature's candy" is a common saying but to then use that as the reason why you will not eat fruit makes little logical sense because it shows that you do not really understand so much about nutrition.

Really? No.
    I just don't agree with you.
  • Lillymoo01
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

Then please enlighten us on how the body processes sugar in a candy bar different than sugar in fruit. I must have missed that class/study/whatever....

Did you miss the bit where fruit has a wide variety of vitamins and minerals which a candy bar doesn't? Did you miss the bit where the high fibre content of most fruit slows down the absorption of sugar into the blood stream?

Here is also an article which describes the differences in the bodies reaction to fructose from fruit in comparison to other sugars.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-fructose

I'm glad you asked.
  • Lillymoo01
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Really? No.
    I just don't agree with you.

That is ok. You rarely agree with me but have never shown any evidence to back up your beliefs.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I just ate a pint of raspberries. I don't limit sugar but I rarely go over 60g just because to hit my other macros and be satisfied I have to eat relatively clean.
  • NicoleRachel14
    NicoleRachel14 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I eat tons of fruit and it doesn't affect my goals. Raspberries are high in fiber and lower in sugar compared to other fruits.