Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I have eaten three servings of fruit, including mixes berries, apples, pears, bananas, oranges, strawberries, blueberries just about every day for the last many years, including the last 10 weeks during which I lost 13 lbs. I have no particular health problems, for which I am very grateful.

I understand the areguments behind ultra-low-carb and I have tried it. I just didn't have enough energy while on it. I typically expend 600-700kcals daily on exercise, maybe that's why.

You should still be expending the same amount of calories during exercise while low carb. Just the source changes. Fat instead of sugars/carbs.

Some low carbers notice a very slight drop in energy for a few weeks while the body is fat adapting. It's slight though. If you experienced a large dip in energy, chances are that it was an electrolyte imbalance because you did not increase sodium to make up for the water and electrolytes you were losing.

I would say it depends on the sport... because if it was that simple, you would have a lot more athletes that LCHF in season.

We need to discuss this again in 20 years once the diet is more widely known. Most people who ind out I restrict carbs instantly worry about my vitamins and my starving brain. LOL It may be used more once people get pat the old preconceptions and myths out there.

It really is that simple. Athletes who switched to LCHF, while taking care of their electrolytes noticed no dip in energy, or a slight dip. Those who didn't take care of their electrolytes are often floored and quit.

I do think explosive sports, like power lifting or 100 m dash, would do well with a carb up. Extreme endurance athletes tend to do better LCHF. The vast majority of athletes in the middle could probably go either way, or mix and match (LCHF with a carb feed during competition).

Kenyans and Ethiopians would have a good laugh at this one. They've been winning marathons and dominated the sport for decades and their typical diet has been studied extensively. It's very high carb ~70%+. And that's not a special runners' diet. It's what the traditional East African diet is like.

Yeah... The traditional East African diet is hardly what most athletes eat.... I think their success may have a bit of a genetic component.

No, but it's what many of the elite in one of the more prominent endurance sports eat and your statement was that most endurance athletes would do better on keto than high carbohydrate. I'm still not sure what that is based on.

The more I think about this, and analyze the sources of the information, I think I have figured out what's going on.

In various keto communities, I see a lot of correlation between people going keto, and ending up with better endurance. However, I think there's a bit of a correlation/causation problem happening here. LCHF communities are often full of people who never got too much exercise prior to losing the weight that they did on the diet. This can lead to a bunch of extrapolation that isn't really warranted. As we all know, the body gets better at doing things, the more it does them. Also, just the loss of bodyfat reduces resistance, improves metabolic function, etc.

So, one could conclude, from a very narrow view, that the diet caused this, but if they could have shed the weight via other means, we'd see the same end result. Unfortunately, there isn't even a good way to test this on an individual level, within a reasonable timeframe. Hell, I'd have to regain 90+ lbs. of fat, AND let myself get detrained for about a decade in order to be able to make a viable individual comparison between methods. Even then, the age factor would prevent it from being truly representative.

This makes a lot of sense.

People are crediting their diet (keto in this example, but I've seen it done with other diets) with fitness improvements that have more to do with being consistent with training.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    CarShelley wrote: »
    I disagree with a lot of people here because I simply have a different experience: no keto, no weighing, no logging... I eat just healthy food (that includes as many fruits that I need/want) I enjoy and sometimes a high calorie meal (without making myself sick over it) , do some exercise, try to get 8 hours sleep (when the baby let me..) and lost all the weight without any suffering... the key was to seriously cut down on alcohol (2/3 glasses every two weeks) .
    And yes I eat complex carbs at every meal, it did not do any harm and it keep me satisfied

Limiting alcohol is essential.

Unfortunately for me, I have to track my eating carefully or I overeat consistently. Still, I lose weight handily while eating 100-200g (400-800kcals) of carbohydrate per day (much of it from fruits-- relevant to the current discussion). I match this somewhat to my level of exercise, which typically burns ~600kcals per day. It seems to work well.

I think doing an occasional low-carb or fasting day is also helpful.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Read Lillmoo01's afticle on ?fructose?. I avoid sugarS and especially fake sugarS except those naturally occurring in fruit.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Read Lillmoo01's afticle on ?fructose?. I avoid sugarS and especially fake sugarS except those naturally occurring in fruit.

did you miss the part where sugar = sugar ?
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

No I disagree with it based on Dr's Hyman and Perlmutter's research.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options

Absorption rate's will be different depending on the type of sugar and if it's combined with other nutrients, and if it's fructose, its more broken down liver mostly vs the intestines, but outside of that, what is the difference between glucose in one foods vs another?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

so you disagree with basic science...?
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I have eaten three servings of fruit, including mixes berries, apples, pears, bananas, oranges, strawberries, blueberries just about every day for the last many years, including the last 10 weeks during which I lost 13 lbs. I have no particular health problems, for which I am very grateful.

I understand the areguments behind ultra-low-carb and I have tried it. I just didn't have enough energy while on it. I typically expend 600-700kcals daily on exercise, maybe that's why.

You should still be expending the same amount of calories during exercise while low carb. Just the source changes. Fat instead of sugars/carbs.

Some low carbers notice a very slight drop in energy for a few weeks while the body is fat adapting. It's slight though. If you experienced a large dip in energy, chances are that it was an electrolyte imbalance because you did not increase sodium to make up for the water and electrolytes you were losing.

I would say it depends on the sport... because if it was that simple, you would have a lot more athletes that LCHF in season.

We need to discuss this again in 20 years once the diet is more widely known. Most people who ind out I restrict carbs instantly worry about my vitamins and my starving brain. LOL It may be used more once people get pat the old preconceptions and myths out there.

And I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that none of those people you've talked to are elite athletes.

Elite athletes are in the know and constantly researching how to become better at their sport. They have coaches, teams, dietitians...

If you think the reason that they're not doing keto is because they just don't know about the wonderful secret being tried by every Tom, Dick and Harry at the New Year's Resolution Gym, I've got some beachfront property in Oklahoma I'd be happy to sell you.

Yes. Um haha?

No I don't know a lot of elite athletes. Well, there was my father who played professional football, was overweight his entire life, and then died young of cancer. I don't think that diet benefited him. Sure he had some energy to play with but was he healthy?

My uncle is LCHF and placed in the master's world championships in rowing. He used to eat "normal" decided to try LCHF after I loaned him Wheat Belly a few years ago. He did more research, implemented it, and never went back.

I think most people won't try LCHF is because they don't want to stop eating carbs - mainly refined carbs. It's why I put off trying it for a year.

Wheat belly? A book based on fake science that has been disproven many times?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

And I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that none of those people you've talked to are elite athletes.

Elite athletes are in the know and constantly researching how to become better at their sport. They have coaches, teams, dietitians...

If you think the reason that they're not doing keto is because they just don't know about the wonderful secret being tried by every Tom, Dick and Harry at the New Year's Resolution Gym, I've got some beachfront property in Oklahoma I'd be happy to sell you.

Yes. Um haha?

No I don't know a lot of elite athletes. Well, there was my father who played professional football, was overweight his entire life, and then died young of cancer. I don't think that diet benefited him. Sure he had some energy to play with but was he healthy?

My uncle is LCHF and placed in the master's world championships in rowing. He used to eat "normal" decided to try LCHF after I loaned him Wheat Belly a few years ago. He did more research, implemented it, and never went back.

I think most people won't try LCHF is because they don't want to stop eating carbs - mainly refined carbs. It's why I put off trying it for a year.

Wheat belly? A book based on fake science that has been disproven many times?

I mentioned Wheat Belly as his inspiration. I guess I should have just said "he went LCHF after doing his research, and it improved his health". The health improvement must have been entirely coincidental when he changed his diet. Nothing to do with reducing grains and sugar...