Working out and the flu

Options
Tquest
Tquest Posts: 10 Member
I have been fighting a flu bug for almost 2 weeks. I want to get back into the gym but still have a nasty cough. Thoughts???

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If your body is still working to make you healthy again I wouldn't workout. I also wouldn't go to a gym while sick because you'll either spread more germs or you could pick up something new since your immune system is compromised currently.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    My opinion: Don't go to the gym.

Reasoning:
    • You're not fully recovered.
    • I don't want you coughing your germs all over the equipment I'm going to be using.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    If it's been 2 weeks and it's just that lingering cough then you should not be contagious anymore. I would start back slowly by doing some light cardio to help clear your lungs. I hate that lingering cough. It can last up to 6 weeks for me and there's no way I'm not going to the gym for 6 weeks when I feel fine otherwise.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    Don't go to the gym. Recover. Exercise LOWERS your immunity factor to an extent and that just make recovery longer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Tquest
    Tquest Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The doctor says I am not contagious. I am just not myself yet.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Tquest wrote: »

Just go by how you feel then. When I'm at this point in recovery I ease back in to it and definitely don't push myself.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Tquest wrote: »

If you are still coughing, you can still spread germs. Please do not go tot he gym while still ill.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I go by how I feel. I also let up on restricting calories if I'm recovering.
  • stelly76
    stelly76 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat - not still sick but still recovering. I exercise at home, but don't feel up to doing it again. Any one have any suggestions to slowly get back into exercising? If it were warmer out, I would take short walks.