On Orlistat and a low fat diet

Options
Anyone else been prescribed this stuff? Need to lose weight for a hip op and exercise is too painful. Bone on bone osteoarthritis :-(

Only had the really awful side effects once when I made homemade oxtail stew and, in spite of skimming the fat off, still suffered the next day..
Started in December, time off the pills for Xmas, new year and a holiday but have managed to lose a stone.... averaging 1600 a day and weigh 235 1bs and 5' 8" so a long way to go...

It is hard as I have been told not to exercise..... should I decrease my calories or carry on? tree minus 500 calls workscout around 1700? Loathe to do so as want this to be a lifestyle change and therefore manageable. Currently losing 1-2 lbs a week..

Any advice gratefully received...

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    If you can't increase your expenditure, and need to speed up the loss process, further caloric restriction is the only option. That said, with this whole thing being for a surgery, I'd take the information you have and talk to your doctor.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your kind replies.... as long as I stick to 15 g fat per meal I don't have accidents... it is working! I do gently walking with a stick and swimming but anything energetic like fin kicking too hard etc sets it off. Really hard and I am missing my sailing and diving... hopefully as the weight comes off the pain may ease. The GP took one look at the X-ray however abs said the operation was going to be necessary... oh joy! Trying to keep a positive attitude....
  • GrinnyMae
    GrinnyMae Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think losing 1-2 pounds a week is a great stable rate. If there is a medical need to lose faster, your doctor might approve a lower calorie intake.

I'd ask your doctor for a referral to a physical therapist. You can work on exercises that will improve your function for when you do have the surgery. I'd also ask about strength training. I'm sure there are things you won't be able to do but there is still probably a lot you could do.
  • FattieBabs
    Options
    Thanks! I forgot to mention that I am doing physio including squats...the NHS did help me with this! I was told I had to lose 3 stone before I could see a Consultant and go in the waiting list for the op.... so one stone down so far... go did say if I lost another stone she would try to get me an earlier appt. there is an 18 week weight for the op in my area and that starts only once a Consultant has approved it. I accept I have to lose the weight as it will help with recovery..
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Even walking and swimming are going to burn you some calories that you can eat back, even if it's only an extra 100 here and there it can make all the difference in sustainability. I agree with the strength training too, if your docs clear it, it's a good way to strengthen the muscles that are supporting the joints which will in turn relieve some of the pressure on them. I had a bad back/hip after a fall and since I started strength training I've had no complaints for 3 months
  • FattieBabs
    Options
    Useful to know... I can only use body weight and not added weight but might look at using a fitness ball if it doesn't affect the hip alignment.... I never saw this coming, I thought I had a badly strained groin after weight lifting but the X-ray showed a lot of damage :-(
  • GrinnyMae
    GrinnyMae Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I wish you good luck. I had some hip pain that derailed my fitness efforts for a while. It's annoying to be so limited in what you can do while still trying to lose weight. But it sounds like you are making great progress.
  • FattieBabs
    Options
    Thanks! It is hard and I am not used to being so helpless. It is a mental battle as much as a physical one... came off the pills last night to have a fish curry which was delicious but was up half the night! Bodyvobviously did not like the fat onslaught.... back to the pills today. They do a good job of reeducation game me and I am finding eating low fat fairly easy. Just wish the weight loss was quicker as others report tremendous results !
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Feeling of helplessness is a predictor for failure. If you feel that you're in charge and feeling great, you'll want to stick to what you're doing. Going on and off diets is setting you back every time. If you want to lose weight, you have to stick to a calorie deficit. You could lose up to 1% of your body weight per week if you do it right.

Also consider the risk of gallstones, decreased nutrient absorbsion, and lower general wellness from eating low fat.
  • FattieBabs
    Options
    I take your point and have been adding multi vitamins (recommended) as the pills do not distinguish between good and bad fat..This is what my gp has prescribed in order for me to lose weight to get on a waiting list for THR... I will give it another month and see how it goes....thanks!
  • FattieBabs
    Options
    I am eating around 35g fat a day so am having some although the pills get rid of 30% of that...the feeling of helplessness is more to do with pain levels because of the bad hip and cross with myself for getting into this state... however the stone weight loss to date has helped with the pain and further loss will help.... trying to stay positive!
  • FattieBabs
    Options
    I just thought I would update people who made helpful comments on here. Now down 22 lbs. A long way to go but quite encouraged! I can do some basic swimming, stationary bike and treadmill now on "good" days when my hip does not hurt too much.. I have more movement in my leg and hip than previously so in a better place than January... :-)
    My fat intake is around 45g a day and I eat a bit of everything and cals around 1500-1600 a day. This seems to work and I don't get too hungry... I intend to stay on the pills for another 6 months but then want to do without them and lose fat more naturally. They have given me the kickstart I needed though and I have had few issues with them...
  • Dabbadooey
    Dabbadooey Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Is there a chair yoga class in your area?
  • mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Is orlistat similar to the non rx pill for fat loss. I cant remember the name.
  • FattieBabs
    Options
    Hi Mish, just seen this! Orlistat is the 60mg dose available from the pharmacist and Orlistat/Xenical is 120mg dose and only on prescription. Re chair yoga - I have started Iyengar yoga and am finding it hard but am keeping at it. My GP has just given me another 3 months supply for Orlistat and I am hoping to drop another 7 lbs by Xmas.. She is now letting me see a consultant about my op so progresse.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    @FattieBabs Orlistat may not be the most sustainable way to lose weight... Here are some excerpts from the wiki page:
    • After orlistat was stopped, a significant number of subjects regained weight—up to 35% of the weight they had lost.
    • Pooled data from clinical trials suggest that people given orlistat in addition to lifestyle modifications, such as diet and exercise, lose about 2–3 kilograms (4.4–6.6 lb) more than those not taking the drug over the course of a year.
    • orlistat is notorious for its gastrointestinal side effects (sometimes referred to as treatment effects), which can include steatorrhea (oily, loose stools).

Is that really worth it?

References to everything are on the wiki page if you want to look further into it
  • FattieBabs
    Options
    Hi Piqueboo.... I take everything you said on board... My problem is that I can't exercise due to bone on bone arthritis and severe pain. I can do a bit of walking and gentle swimming, until I sieze up! The orlistat has helped and I make sure I keep my vitamin levels up too. I stopped for two months and found that I maintained my weight but did not lose it - despite keeping to my calorie levels. I don't intend to stay on it for ever and only get the side effects if I go over the fat allowance - I am VERY careful not to do so... the GP has put me on it as better that than a gastric band which I would hate. I have one more stone to go before I can be safely operated on and am sticking to 1500 cals a day.. It is working, but very slowly.

Thanks for your input - it was not an easy decision to stick with it but it has helped me get used to lower fat in my diet whilst still having some - which is a good thing! I will update again in 6 months time, by which time I want to be off the pills :-)