Any experienced hikers - I need advice!

A friend and I are interested in hiking/backpacking, and we have our inaugural hike scheduled for this Saturday. The idea was to do a moderately difficult, (but not TOO difficult) day hike just to get our feet wet and see if this is something we want to do on a more regular basis. We’re both pretty fit, so we decided on a 8.5 mile loop through parts of the Appalachian trail. I’m super excited about it.

BUT now we have a problem, and I need advice. I was planning on it being cold, but the area that we’re hiking just got almost 2 FEET of snow yesterday, and I’m not at all prepared for that. Assuming we can’t reschedule (because we can’t), I’m wondering:
- Do you need any extra equipment to hike in heavy snow? I have waterproof mid-height boots. The trail is usually moderately traveled, so I’m hoping there will at least be a little bit of a path worn down in the snow by Saturday.
- Should we consider cutting it short from the 8.5 miles? I wasn’t concerned about our ability to walk that far, but I’m guessing walking in snow is a lot more physically taxing.
Any other advice for two total beginners?
Thanks!

Replies

• purplepadres
    purplepadres Posts: 36 Member
    Hiking in 2 feet of snow is going to add more challenge to the hike...kind of like running on sand. Snow also tends to obscure the landscape, and if it has iced over, can be extremely slippery. If you're not ready to drop a couple hundred on snow shoes, snow pants, etc., and can't reschedule, can you find a non-snowy hike?
  • WhitneyDurham777
    WhitneyDurham777 Posts: 71 Member
    Look up Yaktrax. Very popular for not slipping in snowy conditions.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Since it's part of the Appalachian Trail, it's likely that it'll be somewhat cleared out by the time you get there (unless more snow is actively falling). Watch the temperature forecast for the area closely and you may find that you're more likely to be hiking in wet muddy areas than 2 feet of snow. There are tons of trail websites, too. Look around and see if you can find one where people update about particular trails. If there is any sort of a park office or anything you can call, too, it's worth looking into.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Other hikers (and slowshoers) will have created a trench on the trail and that will make it much easier to hike in. The suggestion for yaktracks is a good one.

Are you planning on a day hike, or camping in the snow?
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Thanks everyone!
    The location and day are set (room reserved for the weekend), so there's no changing it.
    I will plan on drastically decreasing the route distance and if it ends up being too easy, we could always do an additional hike in the area.
    I don't want to blow a ton of money, but I'll look into the Yaktrax and maybe some inexpensive gaiters.
    @skylark94, thanks for the list!
  • deluxmary2000
    Other hikers (and slowshoers) will have created a trench on the trail and that will make it much easier to hike in. The suggestion for yaktracks is a good one.

Are you planning on a day hike, or camping in the snow?

Definitely just a day trip for our first one. If we enjoy it, we'll target a Fall camping trip.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    edited March 2017
    skylark94 wrote: »
    My advice, don't. Drastically shorten your route or put it off for another day. It's far too easy for inexperienced hikers to become quickly overwhelmed. 8.5 miles is not an easy distance, even in good conditions.

I live in Colorado and do a lot of hiking year round. Even if there is a bit of a path worn, the going can still be very difficult and slippery on a snowy trail. You'll need traction devices, as most hiking boots are not enough for slippery trails. You may also need gaiters to waterproof your legs at least to your knees. Snow pants can help waterproof you, but can also cause you to overheat. I assume your boots are waterproof, but snow can get in the top.

Don't forget to pack your "10 essentials". Never assume the hike will go smoothly and always be prepared for the worst.

Navigation (map & compass)
    Sun protection (sunglasses & sunscreen)
    Insulation (extra clothing)
    Illumination (headlamp/flashlight)
    First-aid supplies
    Fire (waterproof matches/lighter/candle)
    Repair kit and tools
    Nutrition (extra food)
    Hydration (extra water)
    Emergency shelter (tent/plastic tube tent/garbage bag)

Agree X 100. Don't go, put it off, or do a much shorter hike if snow is a must. Another poster suggested YakTrax, which I wholeheartedly agree as well. AND, trekking poles. YakTrax you should be able to pick up for about $20 at any sporting goods/outdoor place (same with poles).

Trek poles will blow you away at the cost...but they're worth it in the long run. Borrow some if you have to, but walking on slippery surfaces for miles...you need solid traction on your feet, and good balance, which poles help with.
  • jedandme
    jedandme Posts: 13 Member
    If you are staying at an Appalachian Mountain Club Center they should have snowshoes you can borrow. They have equipment rooms full of stuff people can use.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    If you can find yaktrax pro there a little better than the regular ones. I found ones that had been sent back to amazon for half price.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Chances are, the AT will get enough foot traffic over the next few days to create some sort of tromped path, so you shouldn't be postholing (stepping into knee deep or deeper snow) unless you go someplace pretty remote. If you get to the trail and find that you are postholing, turn around and go someplace else. Postholing is a bad introduction to hiking. It is very hard work. If others have been on the trail, or if it is a busy day on Saturday, you are more likely to have to deal with ice. Where people walk, the snow melts, then can refreeze pretty quickly. Be cautious. OTOH, winter hiking can be a lot of fun. You just may not want to walk for four hours or more in the cold without being able to stop to rest.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Good advice above. Maybe plan to do an out-and-back, by time, rather than distance. If it's very slow going, you'll still be sure to get back to the trailhead as expected.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I think it's very ill advised for inexperienced hikers to do their first hike in 2 ft of snow and unknown conditions. Do you even have proper gear to do this? If you go, be sure to take the hikers "10 essentials" plus extra!
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    If the trail isn't broken out, you'll need snowshoes. Postholing is bad form, people actually will get mad at you for it.
    If it is broken out, traction will be needed. Microspikes are the go to for winter hiking in the Green and White Mountains. A bit more than Yaktrax ($60 last I looked) but worlds better.
    If you are summiting something above the treeline, you might need crampons too. Most are more expensive than my $200 snowshoes...

Layers, layers, layers. Stay hydrated! Remember you won't be thirsty cause it's cold.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    Good advice above. Maybe plan to do an out-and-back, by time, rather than distance. If it's very slow going, you'll still be sure to get back to the trailhead as expected.

If you must do this hike, do this. Also, in addition to the 10 essentials, take extra extra socks. Wet feet are miserable and depending on where you are on the trail, the snow could be over your boots allowing snow to get into them.
    If you are on the southern part of the trail, take bear spray. A bear got one of my neighbor's chickens and all of her eggs last week while it was unseasonably warm.
  • deluxmary2000
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    If the trail isn't broken out, you'll need snowshoes. Postholing is bad form, people actually will get mad at you for it.
    If it is broken out, traction will be needed. Microspikes are the go to for winter hiking in the Green and White Mountains. A bit more than Yaktrax ($60 last I looked) but worlds better.
    If you are summiting something above the treeline, you might need crampons too. Most are more expensive than my $200 snowshoes...

Layers, layers, layers. Stay hydrated! Remember you won't be thirsty cause it's cold.

@scorpio516 why is it bad form? How else would the trail get packed down/cleared?
    I'm not saying I doubt you, I'm just genuinely curious.
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member

@scorpio516 why is it bad form? How else would the trail get packed down/cleared?

Trenches get set with snowshoes or skis. idiots post hole. Nothing is more annoying than someone post holing on the skin track. One of my pet peeves in life, but I understand not everyone in this world can be my little project. You should also understand that most people think snowshoes are "hover shoes" but they are still a lot of work. Not sure where on the app trail you'll be going, but chances are if it warms up over the next few days a lot of the snow will melt out. Aspect and wind can also play a role in how much snow gets put down and how it melts out.

I differ from most here and I think you should still give it a go. Know your physical limitations and don't be afraid to turn back. Look to maximize fun and don't worry about finishing a loop or whatever it is you wanted to do. I doubt you'll need crampons. I've hiked year round here in colorado for the last couple years and I've never worn my crampons on any colorado peak. And I finally just put microspikes on for the first time after owning them for 2 years. A nice convenience, but rarely necessary. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Have a good time.
  • NorthCascades
    Postholing is bad form, people actually will get mad at you for it.

This is a context thing. Depends very much on the trail (and who uses it).

If it's "singletrack" like a narrow hiking trail through the wood, people come along with and without slowshoes, and tromp it down. Most people follow in the trail ahead of them and you wind up with a snow trench that's about 2x as wide as a slowshoe. Here, it's no harm no foul. Postholling will annoy you when you do it, but no one else. Other hikers will need to avoid your holes, but they need to step carefully anyway.

Other "trails" are roads that are snowed out, or sometimes routes through fields and meadows. These tend not to be only used by hikers. Skiers leave ski tracks, these narrow areas where the snow is compressed down slightly and polished. A skier can go much faster on ski tracks than on fresh snow. A lot of skiers plan out-and-back days on the assumption that the return leg of the journey will be faster, which is only true if hikers don't turn their tracks into a crater field.

It's a little bit worse in ski areas like snow parks. Out here these are at state parks (so they belong to everybody) and some have specially groomed snow trails for skiers and for snowmobilers. The tracks on the side are for classic skiers and the area in the middle is for skate skiers. Just walking without postholing in either of these areas is considered very rude. These places have ideal and unusual snow conditions which people worked hard to achieve, and which we all pay to use.

You're going out on the AT, so you're in the no harm no foul area. The rest of it is just because you said you were curious.
  • NorthCascades
    I differ from most here and I think you should still give it a go. Know your physical limitations and don't be afraid to turn back. Look to maximize fun and don't worry about finishing a loop or whatever it is you wanted to do. I doubt you'll need crampons. I've hiked year round here in colorado for the last couple years and I've never worn my crampons on any colorado peak. And I finally just put microspikes on for the first time after owning them for 2 years. A nice convenience, but rarely necessary. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Have a good time.

I'd like to agree with all of this. It's really not a big deal like people are making it out to be. Some common sense and you'll be fine. Be willing to turn around early, see how it goes.