What do you guys think?

Options

Replies

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I've always thought fat and TV was more an issue of sexism. There have always been overweight men on TV playing regular roles where their weight didn't play into the script, but thin women on TV has always been the norm.

Hmm interesting - I never noticed but as I mentioned earlier I don't watch a whole lot of TV as it is. I'll have to keep an eye when I watch TV again.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    I don't think the point of the article was to celebrate being unhealthy, rather just wanting a show that portrays a fat person just living. Not trying to lose weight, not hating themselves for being fat, just living a normal life, just like fat people do everyday.

So, shows like Mike & Molly? I love that show. Nothing wrong with it.
  • acorsaut89
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    If everyone knows it's unhealthy then why wouldn't we want to see more shows where people change things around? I don't watch a whole lot of TV, honestly, so my opinion is skewed here but I don't see fat people being portrayed and stupid, or weight obsessed or depressed at all. I see shows like My Big Fat Fabulous Life and see how having an illness - like PCOS, which may slow down your metabolism and make it harder to lose weight BUT NOT IMPOSSIBLE as it is made out to be - makes it ok to be so overweight she can't even shave her own legs, but as long as you love yourself everything is all going to be great and you'll have this totally great life while your mom needs to come over to help you shave your legs or put on your own shoes. Good message? Really?

The thing about My Big Fat Fabulous Life is she's the only one that's ok with being overweight, but the show is still centered around her losing weight and the health consequences she faces for being the size she's at, so again, still not glorifying obesity as being healthy.

I never said it glorifies it as being healthy. No, I said it makes it seem perfectly acceptable.

OK my point is it still doesn't make it out to be acceptable.

Are you ok with being overweight/unhealthy as long as you accept yourself and are happy?

I'm not ok being overweight obviously because I'm on this website, but I expect to be treated like a human no matter what size I am.

^^^Exactly! Everyone deserves to be treated with dignity and respect.

They do - and I do respect people for being people. I never once said anything about people being less. It's the idea that's being portrayed. Just because someone is X and I'm Y doesn't make them better or worse than me by any means. It makes them different but that's about it.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    If everyone knows it's unhealthy then why wouldn't we want to see more shows where people change things around? I don't watch a whole lot of TV, honestly, so my opinion is skewed here but I don't see fat people being portrayed and stupid, or weight obsessed or depressed at all. I see shows like My Big Fat Fabulous Life and see how having an illness - like PCOS, which may slow down your metabolism and make it harder to lose weight BUT NOT IMPOSSIBLE as it is made out to be - makes it ok to be so overweight she can't even shave her own legs, but as long as you love yourself everything is all going to be great and you'll have this totally great life while your mom needs to come over to help you shave your legs or put on your own shoes. Good message? Really?

The thing about My Big Fat Fabulous Life is she's the only one that's ok with being overweight, but the show is still centered around her losing weight and the health consequences she faces for being the size she's at, so again, still not glorifying obesity as being healthy.

I never said it glorifies it as being healthy. No, I said it makes it seem perfectly acceptable.

Yeah! Why should anyone who is overweight be accepted as a human being! The outrage!

That's a huge jump - I stated in my original post that this isn't about that. Everyone is a person and regardless of your size it doesn't make you less of a person. But what it can do is give you less quality of life. I am still plus sized, I haven't been fit my whole life by anymeans. I was 350lbs in 2012. I am the last person to say you're less of a person because you weigh X. The whole post was about glorifying being overweight, period. Nothing about fat shaming or body shaming. So that's a big jump.

The article you posted has an issue with overweight people being portrayed as nothing but people that can't think or do anything without thinking about their weight. The author wants a show that portrays a fat person just living life as every person does. That's not saying being overweight is ok, but that it's ok to live life at whatever size you are. If you watch a show that tells you fat people can't be happy at the beach until they are skinny, is that a better message than watching a show that shows a person enjoying themselves at the beach but just also happens to be fat?
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options

Just because people know that, they're unhealthy doesn't mean that; they know how to reverse/improve! I didn't even, know that; Dietitians exist! This' more a fundamental problem of, our educational system than; the individual because this, isn't common sense! Just read all of, the myths that; people come here believing & asking about, such as; the: "Military Diet", etc.!

Oh I agree - there's a ton of misinformation out there and it's so easy to get wrapped up in it. It isn't easy at all, but personal accountability is huge, too.

A person's unable to, do anything with knowledge that; they don't have and/or know what/where to, seek & thus the responsibility of accountability belongs to, those with the knowledge/power to; enforce public education!
  • acorsaut89
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I agree with the article. Being overweight or obese should never be a point of ridicule. Hollywood always gets by making fun of groups of people. And that notion pervades into society or vice versa. It is a vicious cycle.

If someone is obese or overweight or whatever, you know what you should do? Mind your own business. That should be the golden rule of life.

Also I don't think the article is celebrating being overweight. That is my piggy opinion.

I chance upon the comments in FB sometimes, esp on the pages of overweight people, for ex. Tess Holliday... and the comments are cruel. Why do you have an issue with overweight people like that?? They will take care if their own issues. Why is it your problem as a third person???

Because I live in Canada and my tax dollars pay for their choices, too.

Yes I recognize I may make choices people don't agree with and that's cool but when obesity is the number one reason for so many illnesses and our health care is failing as it is . . . as in, we don't have the money to support it . . . we can prevent a lot of these future illnesses by taking appropriate measure now.
    I lose so much money on taxes and it's ridiculous - I pay federal, CT and NY city tax. My bonus is taxed. I lose a ton in capital gains tax. It does make me sore but nobody has any control with what the government does with your money.

I'd rather they help these so called overweight folks than waste money on defence.... not to get too political as piggy is already in jail.

You know why they are overweight - because we as a society have failed to take care of the poor and the needy. Mcdonald's dollar menu is filled with so many awful ingredients that those who eat it gain so much weight and their health problems helps big food and big pharma cash out corporate profits.

Have you tried to buy organic food and grass-fed milk and beef - 40% more than regular food. Why is it that only poor people are obese and need government support and use up tax dollars? Because we have all left them behind. So, have some compassion before talking about your tax dollars ;)

You should be happy your taxes are covering someone who needs it and is not bailing out a bank.

No my taxes are not covering people who need it in all cases - but that's a complete different discussion to be had.

We have two very different opinions on this, and my experience is quite different than yours. There's people in my city who are very well off and who are still 400+ lbs and then there's people on social assistance who are of healthy, manageable weight, so unfortunately my experience does not align with yours.

I also have lost 100+ lbs by buying regular food and eating in moderation . . . so it doesn't have to be organic, grass fed anything to lose weight. It takes will power and determination.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I agree with the article. Being overweight or obese should never be a point of ridicule. Hollywood always gets by making fun of groups of people. And that notion pervades into society or vice versa. It is a vicious cycle.

If someone is obese or overweight or whatever, you know what you should do? Mind your own business. That should be the golden rule of life.

Also I don't think the article is celebrating being overweight. That is my piggy opinion.

I chance upon the comments in FB sometimes, esp on the pages of overweight people, for ex. Tess Holliday... and the comments are cruel. Why do you have an issue with overweight people like that?? They will take care if their own issues. Why is it your problem as a third person???

Yes I recognize I may make choices people don't agree with and that's cool but when obesity is the number one reason for so many illnesses and our health care is failing as it is . . . as in, we don't have the money to support it . . . we can prevent a lot of these future illnesses by taking appropriate measure now.
    I lose so much money on taxes and it's ridiculous - I pay federal, CT and NY city tax. My bonus is taxed. I lose a ton in capital gains tax. It does make me sore but nobody has any control with what the government does with your money.

I'd rather they help these so called overweight folks than waste money on .... not to get too political as piggy is already in jail.

You know why they are overweight - because we as a society have failed to take care of the poor and the needy. Mcdonald's dollar menu is filled with so many awful ingredients that those who eat it gain so much weight and their health problems helps big food and big pharma cash out corporate profits.

Have you tried to buy organic food and grass-fed milk and beef - 40% more than regular food. Why is it that only poor people are obese and need government support and use up tax dollars? Because we have all left them behind. So, have some compassion before talking about your tax dollars ;)

You should be happy your taxes are covering someone who needs it and is not bailing out a bank.

You can still eat at McDonalds and lose weight. Just because something is $1 doesn't mean you have to eat 10. The problem is we are inundated with food constantly and self control is lacking.
  • acorsaut89
    Options

Yeah! Why should anyone who is overweight be accepted as a human being! The outrage!

That's a huge jump - I stated in my original post that this isn't about that. Everyone is a person and regardless of your size it doesn't make you less of a person. But what it can do is give you less quality of life. I am still plus sized, I haven't been fit my whole life by anymeans. I was 350lbs in 2012. I am the last person to say you're less of a person because you weigh X. The whole post was about glorifying being overweight, period. Nothing about fat shaming or body shaming. So that's a big jump.

The article you posted has an issue with overweight people being portrayed as nothing but people that can't think or do anything without thinking about their weight. The author wants a show that portrays a fat person just living life as every person does. That's not saying being overweight is ok, but that it's ok to live life at whatever size you are. If you watch a show that tells you fat people can't be happy at the beach until they are skinny, is that a better message than watching a show that shows a person enjoying themselves at the beach but just also happens to be fat?

Well that depends . . . is the fat person being happy on the beach going to have a heart attack at 30, or insulin resistance at 35? Or maybe full blown diabetes by 38? Or maybe need both knees and two hip replacements at 50 because of strain put on joints? Is it worth it?

The point I'm getting at is that it's not about a size/weight, so much as it's about health. I weigh 245lbs (as of Monday) and I'm 5'10. By a BMI scale I'm obese but I have 140lbs of LBM on me, so if I were to weigh 160 like BMI says I should it probably wouldn't be super healthy for me as a person. And not everyone looks the same at the same weight - which is totally fine - but I'm not body shaming anyone at all. I am by no means perfect or in a position to say I'm better than you because of . . . this, this and this. I am working to better myself and it takes time and effort. Glorifying the acceptance of "it is what it is, so be happy with it and accept me as I am or you're a hater" is kind of dangerous.
  • acorsaut89
    edited March 2017
    Options

I'd rather they help these so called overweight folks than waste money on defence.... not to get too political as piggy is already in jail.

No my taxes are not covering people who need it in all cases - but that's a complete different discussion to be had.

We have two very different opinions on this, and my experience is quite different than yours. There's people in my city who are very well off and who are still 400+ lbs and then there's people on social assistance who are of healthy, manageable weight, so unfortunately my experience does not align with yours.

I also have lost 100+ lbs by buying regular food and eating in moderation . . . so it doesn't have to be organic, grass fed anything to lose weight. It takes will power and determination.
    If someone is getting assistance, I am pretty sure they need it. You have to prove that you need assistance to the government. And there is a lot others who get assistance as well, which is completely fine because in this world human beings need to take care of other human beings.

Hahahahahahahah no. They say you have "prove it" but I've seen, first hand, otherwise. Maybe in the states but definitely not here in Canada.

Let's take this example. Girl I know from highschool - same age as me, so 27 - has 4 kids by 3 different men.

She get's Social Assistance - where she lives in gear to income housing and pays a grand total of $300 in rent every month, including all utilities.

Claims she's a single mom. Gets child support from each of the fathers, for a grand total of $1,800 per month. Then she gets Child Tax Benefit which for 4 kids is somewhere in the neighbourhood of $600 - $700 a month, unless it's changed in the last year or so since I had this discussion with her. So she get's $1,000 from SA, $1,800 from CS and then $600 from CTB. Next - she's a single mom but her boyfriend lives with her, and doesn't claim it - so he pays for half of everything. Her children are part of the hamper program every year so she doesn't have to buy toys for christmas or even christmas dinner - it's all given out.

And before you say she's a one off . . . . I know at least a dozen more like her in my city alone.

I lose close to 30% of my income every year. That's a pretty decent chunk.
  • acorsaut89
    edited March 2017
    Options

Well that depends . . . is the fat person being happy on the beach going to have a heart attack at 30, or insulin resistance at 35? Or maybe full blown diabetes by 38? Or maybe need both knees and two hip replacements at 50 because of strain put on joints? Is it worth it?

The point I'm getting at is that it's not about a size/weight, so much as it's about health. I weigh 245lbs (as of Monday) and I'm 5'10. By a BMI scale I'm obese but I have 140lbs of LBM on me, so if I were to weigh 160 like BMI says I should it probably wouldn't be super healthy for me as a person. And not everyone looks the same at the same weight - which is totally fine - but I'm not body shaming anyone at all. I am by no means perfect or in a position to say I'm better than you because of . . . this, this and this. I am working to better myself and it takes time and effort. Glorifying the acceptance of "it is what it is, so be happy with it and accept me as I am or you're a hater" is kind of dangerous.

Why can't that person just be *kitten* happy being on the beach that day? Why does everything have to be about 5, 10, 15+ years from now? That's not what tv is for. Tv is for escaping reality. A fat person can be on the beach and get eaten by a shark. Who cares? It's better to die doing something you wanted to do rather than hiding inside until you're skinny. Acceptance isn't saying being overweight is healthy, acceptance is saying you're fat, but damnit you should go to Vegas anyways because YOLO.

Because that's what my original post was about - health implications. Not about being eaten by a freakin shark or "escaping reality" when you said you want TV to reflect your every day life, fat people living life just like you do . . . so which is it?

I wasn't asking about being happy or skipping down the strip in Vegas. I was talking about health implications. Also I didn't say anything about being skinny, in fact I've said several times it's not about size/weight but about health. There's conventionally skinny people who are also incredibly unhealthy - it's not about size or weight. My ask was about health.
  • km8907
    Options

Why can't that person just be *kitten* happy being on the beach that day? Why does everything have to be about 5, 10, 15+ years from now? That's not what tv is for. Tv is for escaping reality. A fat person can be on the beach and get eaten by a shark. Who cares? It's better to die doing something you wanted to do rather than hiding inside until you're skinny. Acceptance isn't saying being overweight is healthy, acceptance is saying you're fat, but damnit you should go to Vegas anyways because YOLO.

Because that's what my original post was about - health implications. Not about being eaten by a freakin shark or "escaping reality" when you said you want TV to reflect your every day life, fat people living life just like you do . . . so which is it?

I wasn't asking about being happy or skipping down the strip in Vegas. I was talking about health implications.

TV shows don't continue down a lifetime, they focus on a moment in that person's life. If you want to see a show about a person being depressed about their weight, have fun with that. I'd rather watch a show about a person being happy with their life. I can't convince someone that's already made up their mind on how they want their world to be.
  • acorsaut89
    edited March 2017
    Options

I wasn't asking about being happy or skipping down the strip in Vegas. I was talking about health implications.

TV shows don't continue down a lifetime, they focus on a moment in that person's life. If you want to see a show about a person being depressed about their weight, have fun with that. I'd rather watch a show about a person being happy with their life. I can't convince someone that's already made up their mind on how they want their world to be.

I'm not spending my time watching someone's fake moment in time on TV, thinking "Jeez, she's happy with herself why can't I be too?" . .. I'm out living my life, and enjoying it - and that includes wanting to be fit, which has nothing to do with people on TV. People on TV aren't real - their moments aren't real, so why should I be spending my time thinking it's going to make my life any better? I make my life better. Unfortunately a lot of people get their ideals from TV, which is why we have the issues we do.
  • km8907
    Options

I'm not spending my time watching someone's moment in time on TV, thinking "Jeez, she's happy with herself why can't I be too?" . .. I'm out living my life, and enjoying it - and that includes wanting to be fit, which has nothing to do with people on TV.

No, but you are watching tv thinking, "jeez, she's happy with herself, that's a terrible message."
  • acorsaut89
    edited March 2017
    Options

I'm not spending my time watching someone's moment in time on TV, thinking "Jeez, she's happy with herself why can't I be too?" . .. I'm out living my life, and enjoying it - and that includes wanting to be fit, which has nothing to do with people on TV.

No, but you are watching tv thinking, "jeez, she's happy with herself, that's a terrible message."

I'm not watching a lot TV though, as I mentioned . . . I'm moving, exercising or reading a book or walking the dog or just generally do things that are productive to my life.

When she is happy - great. When she isn't - that's too bad. It's TV - I don't put a lot of thought into it . . . but apparently a lot of people do.

Edited because I'm a bad speller apparently :(
  • km8907
    Options

I'm not watching a lot TV though, as I mentioned . . . I'm moving, exercising or reading a book or walking the dog or just generally do things that are productive to my life.

When she is happy - great. When she isn't - that's too bad. It's TV - I don't put a lot of thought into it . . . but apparently a lot of people do.

Evidenced by starting a thread about it pissing you off so much, it seemingly bothers you more than you think.
  • acorsaut89
    Options

Evidenced by starting a thread about it pissing you off so much, it seemingly bothers you more than you think.

The article pissed me off, yes . . . I don't watch the show it references, This Is Us.

The line of thinking bothers me, a whole lot - and that isn't just on TV, it's very prevalent all over the media.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    They are not celebrating obesity but, rather, condemning the act of judging people who are heavier than the norm.
  • km8907
    Options

The article pissed me off, yes . . . I don't watch the show it references, This Is Us.

The line of thinking bothers me, a whole lot - and that isn't just on TV, it's very prevalent all over the media.

If an article wanting fat people to be portrayed as happy people rather than weight obsessed pisses you off, that's a bigger issue. Maybe you'd have better luck in a thread where no one's ever been fat and can't relate.
  • acorsaut89
    Options

If an article wanting fat people to be portrayed as happy people rather than weight obsessed pisses you off, that's a bigger issue. Maybe you'd have better luck in a thread where no one's ever been fat and can't relate.

As I said I've been overweight for a lot of my adult life - I can relate. But as a blonde woman I could say why do they always portray blondes to be stupid when I have 2 graduate degrees? Why do they always portray short women and tall men? But I don't complain about it because I know it's not real life. The need or want to write the article is what got me going