Starting Insanity

Options
srv524
srv524 Posts: 1,363 Member
Going to start Insanity tomorrow, anyone else want to tag along? I need to drop weight/lose fat without worrying about adding muscle and my BW exercises aren't cutting it. I'll be eating a little better than I have and still keep my calories around 2k/day. I don't expect drastic results but I'm shooting for 20 lbs lost over 60 days. I already have some lean muscle but I have some visceral fat I need to burn off.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I loved insanity! Enjoy!
  • Lorraine128
    Lorraine128 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Current doing Insanity Max 30, so I know not starting at same time but happy to offer daily support to get it done ✅
  • srv524
    Options
    Thank you both. Fit test was a challenging but I did pretty well. Just need to stay motivated and dedicate the time to do it.
  • Roosh513
    Roosh513 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hey, I just started that program today! I'm hoping it will help me through my latest weight loss plateau. I've been doing P90X/P90X3 for the past year and saw great results (down about 55 lb). However, my weight loss has stalled at 185 and I think it's probably because my body is used to the routines.

I'm also wanting to improve my jogging performance. I've never been a huge runner, and I'm starting Insanity in hopes that it will increase my endurance. I'm currently able to run about 2.5 miles before running out of gas. I'm hoping this helps with that as well!d

Good luck with the program!
  • Lorraine128
    Options
    Insanity will definitely improve your running speed!
  • Lorraine128
    Options
    srv524 wrote: »
    Thank you both. Fit test was a challenging but I did pretty well. Just need to stay motivated and dedicate the time to do it.

Great! That's you started. Let us know how the first workout went? Good luck, you can do this!

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Roosh513 wrote: »
    Hey, I just started that program today! I'm hoping it will help me through my latest weight loss plateau. I've been doing P90X/P90X3 for the past year and saw great results (down about 55 lb). However, my weight loss has stalled at 185 and I think it's probably because my body is used to the routines.

I'm also wanting to improve my jogging performance. I've never been a huge runner, and I'm starting Insanity in hopes that it will increase my endurance. I'm currently able to run about 2.5 miles before running out of gas. I'm hoping this helps with that as well!d

Good luck with the program!

the best way to improve your running is to run more.
  • Roosh513
    Options
    the best way to improve your running is to run more.

I forgot to mention that I hate cold-weather running. However, I want to start conditioning for it now.
  • srv524
    Options
    Fit test wasn't bad. Form was off on some exercises but handled it well. Today was plyo cardio and I had some moments at the end where I was gassed. Some leg exercises are hard to do because of my tight hips but hoping this helps me out. Biggest thing is my diet which has always sucked but I'm eating a bit better.
  • Roosh513
    Options
    Today was cardio recovery for me. It may have just been because my calves were cooked the first two days, but this was a fairly challenging routine just because you have to hold some poses for a long time. I'd almost put it in line with Yoga X from the original P90X routine.
  • srv524
    Options
    I have cardio recovery tomorrow, looks like we're a day behind each other. I did P90X several years ago but can't recall Yoga X. I read some reviews that say it is challenging but you feel better afterwards. I've been sweating and breathing heavily while my HR has been averaging around 150. I feel like I can push myself a little more but I'm dead tired trying to catch my breath during the breaks.
  • badgerpam22
    badgerpam22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have found mixing insanity with regular cardio worked for me. Insanity is crazy good, just no means of playing the dvds!
  • kclaar11
    kclaar11 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I loved Insanity; I just finished it about two weeks ago. I agree that some of the recovery was pretty tough until I was a few weeks in to it. I am doing P90X now, and the Yoga X is a fair comparison. I find the Yoga more enjoyable though
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I am almost finished with Insanity, after taking a week off here and there. Almost finished with week 6 :smile:
    I'm also doing Fitness Blender's lifting workouts. This week I haven't lifted because I was so exhausted, but I'll be better next week.
    For me, once I got used to Month 1, it was straight into Month 2. Still trying to adjust to half of those workouts!
    I would suggest to go at your own pace and rest when you need to. Insanity is crazy and it leaves me sweating every single time!
  • Roosh513
    Options
    I have found mixing insanity with regular cardio worked for me. Insanity is crazy good, just no means of playing the dvds!

That's my plan. I started on Monday, which puts my last workout of the week on Saturday. I plan on just subbing the Saturday workout for a long jog when the weather is nice. It makes the weekend workout interesting when finding a new trail to run.
  • srv524
    Options
    I wanted to build my cardio endurance while cutting fat down so Insanity seems to give a good mix of both. Maybe I'll sub a day out for a long distance run instead.
    I'm staying around/under my calorie goal without counting for the Insanity calories burned so hoping I see results within a few weeks. If my diet was better I'd be in much better shape.
  • jnducharme
    jnducharme Posts: 83 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I absolutely love insanity! it is my go to workout when I want to get back in good shape. It will definitely help you decrease bodyfat and get much stronger and have better endurance.

I'm actually just finishing up a round of Insanity :D this is the end of my 3rd week of the 2nd month Max workouts, only one more week but then I'm going to do an extra 3 weeks of Max workouts before school finishes. I also weight lift 4-5 days a week on top of Insanity. So far I went from 129-124lbs and got much leaner and wayy stronger.

I really recommend not worrying about weight loss. From my experience (I have done this program a couple times) I lost weight around the end of the first month. Make sure you maintain a calorie deficit whether you eat at maintenance and then don't eat back calories burned from Insanity or lower your calorie goal a bit to create a bigger deficit is up to you. Of course the better you eat the better your results will be. Make sure you get protein. The Insanity nutrition guide has the calculation to figure out how much you should be eating for body weight, age, and goal (weight gain or loss). Feel free to add me for accountability if you want!
  • srv524
    Options
    I TRY to maintain a calorie deficit and not count my workout calories in with my total diet. I try to keep it around 2k calories a day but I need to eat more protein while cutting back sugars. I'm getting bored with Insanity and want to go back to actual weightlifting where I saw good gains years ago. I've been trying calisthenics and bodyweight stuff to avoid the gym (and keep my training more related to my job) but the heavy lifting is calling me...
  • jnducharme
    jnducharme Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Doing both weights and insanity is a good combo. Either alternate days or do 2 days of weights then insanity as your cardio day or double them up and take a a full day off every 3 days or so. I've been doubling them up and my body is sore and tired a lot but I've had amazing results.
  • Roosh513
    Options
    Yeah, ultimately you've got to do what works best for you. I'm starting to see some pretty noticeable changes with Insanity. I've lost 2 lb this week and my belly has flattened by quite a bit. I am also keeping my calorie intake around 1900-2000 with a 40/40/20 ratio of proteins, carbs, and fats.

Yesterday I ran my fastest mile (8'45"), but ran out of gas for the other 2 miles (I blame good ol' St. Patty for that one. Beer as your dinner gives you zero energy the next day :D ).