Does freezing food change taste/texture?

Options
2»

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Another thing to consider- a self defrosting freezer (the kind on most refrigerators) will change the texture more than a non self defrosting freezer (like most chest freezers).
  • shaybee377
    shaybee377 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    0/10 will never freeze spaghetti squash again. DON'T DO IT
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    shaybee377 wrote: »
    0/10 will never freeze spaghetti squash again. DON'T DO IT

LOL. Rule of thumb: the more water a food has the larger the likelihood it will thaw into mush.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    When I get a whole roasted chicken, I eat some fresh and save the rest for adding to a dish. Taste is fine when I've stored it in the freezer until use.

What I like to do is make the sauce, be it spaghetti or curry and then freeze into several three cup containers. When I thaw it, one container is enough for several meals and I'll combine it with fresh or steamed veggies. So I'm trying to say, try add most of the veggies when you are reheating the dish.
  • lolo_bunny
    lolo_bunny Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You could invest in a food saver, depending on your budget. We do this when we need to meal prep more in advance- seals it in a plastic bag airtight and I find the texture/taste to be enjoyable once thawed or reheated. It's not necessary but might be something to look into if interested.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Potatoes onions and eggs change texture unforgivably.

I found a way to freeze cheese. I pre-cut it. It crumbles after frozen but if it is pre-cut, who cares?
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I just froze 2 batches of, red roasted potatoes so hopefully they'll be; edible!

My potatoes taste great, too great; going to get a 2nd helping!

t9om2zxun91a.jpg