People with desk type jobs

Options
Hi guys! This is my second time here! Seems like my old friends are also no longer active. Ha! Looking for new friends. I mostly sit around all day so I try to get in some steps through the day. Just comment and I'll add you up! Let's keep each other motivated!

Replies

• bgh707
    bgh707 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Same here apart from my gym time. Feel free to add me!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! This is my second time here! Seems like my old friends are also no longer active. Ha! Looking for new friends. I mostly sit around all day so I try to get in some steps through the day. Just comment and I'll add you up! Let's keep each other motivated!

I also sit at my desk lot, but my responsibilities include some other work away from my desk and away from the office. So I'm not sedentary, but rather lightly active.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm at my desk about 80% of the day, but walk around the floor to chat with my coworkers as much as I can.
    I use lunch as my opportunity to walk. I usually walk almost a mile at lunch to go to a great cafeteria and back that has an awesome salad bar! Feel free to add
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I also sit at my desk most of the day. I try to walk as much as I can every hour. Good luck in your journey.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My job is SO sedentary. Literally, I'm on the phone or typing 8 hours a day plus an hour for lunch. If I didn't have to pee and get coffee I'd never move. The coffee maker is even within 10 steps from my office. I've dropped my step goal to 7500 and I make it...but it's close. Before buying a fitbit 2 weeks ago, I would literally have days where I wouldn't leave my chair from 8 to noon. Now it reminds me each hour to get up and I take a lap of 250 steps around the office and I get a mile in at lunch. I try to park farther from my building too. It's a work in progress.
  • sanalupe
    sanalupe Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Same here, desk job. Have £5000 steps daily target, amazing how much it changes things. Lost 8 pounds so far, I only started 3 weeks ago. Please add me.
  • Ayane101
    Ayane101 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am a receptionist by day, and I have my own tax and accounting business by night and weekends. I also do full time online college. My whole life is scheduled at a desk/chair/couch.

I was here a long time ago but kept giving up on myself because I was not getting the results I wanted. I have grown up since then and my thinking has become more realistic.
    I would love some new friends!!! Anyone can feel free to add me!

One small step every day creates a lifetime of change :-)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I've got a VariDesk type job, so I often stand at my desk. Sometimes I climb stairs and then sometimes I do cardio exercise at home.
  • Naruya
    Naruya Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job without any excuses to get up besides getting a drink or going to the bathroom, which is only a few steps away. I also have my own web design/development business which means more sitting behind the computer in my own time. So I decided to get my exercise in with my commute: I bike to work now. I also use my lunch break to walk for about 20 mins and have a dog that needs walking before/after work, but from 9-5 I hardly get up at all, I hate it.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Desk job here too!
  • dawson002
    dawson002 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    chained to a desk here too!

I do a 10 minute walk before work if the traffic isn't too bad and I'm early and also a 10 minute walk at lunch.
  • Lavelle1980
    Lavelle1980 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Same here. Desk Job and then an hour commute back and forth. Some things that work for me are the following:

1. Calf Raises - You'll be surprise of the workout doing 50 standing calf raises in less than a minute. quick to get the blood flooding.
    2. Resistance Bands - I bring these to do simple bicep curls and shoulders. I can do the biceps sitting or standing by placing the bands under my feet.
    3. Ab crunches with knee raises - takes about 30 seconds to a minute. I do them every so often when I get bored at my desk job.
    4. Squats at desk - Yeah, I don't care if I look funny doing them. But hey! Live like no one else, so I can live like no one else!
    5. Standing leg raises (right side and left side) simple.
    6. Walking/Stairs - this is a no brainer. Just take the stairs and walk often.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    desk job here.

I try and move every hour -easier now I have my garmin beeping at me!
    Also, am on the plank challenge from Challenges forum so I go to a spare meeting room at the back of the building once an hour and do a minute plank, then walk back to desk. Break up the day a bit better. AND means I don't have to plank when I get home!

I don't tend to fixate on steps though - I swim each morning and it seems to take my strokes as steps. But I usually meet my 7000 goal during squash or a class in the evening. If I do nothing except work, I am usually around the 4000 mark (which is around 3000 more than I thought I would be!! Daily life clearly incorporates more steps than I thought!)
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Desk job here after having a job that I was on my feet for 12 hours per day/6-7 days per week. I've gained 25lbs just in the 6 months that I've been here. I get up at least once per hour to go to the bathroom because I drink so much water. I park on the far end of the parking lot and I only get 30 mins for lunch. I go to our apartment gym every day though for 30-45 mins of cardio on the recumbent bike and will add some strength training later on.
  • Blubberbuster1
    Blubberbuster1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Desk job here as well, but I average 11k steps a day on my fitbit, which includes my 5am treadmill jog in the morning before work.
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm a programmer, so I'm at a desk all day. My company is cool and we have a gym, so I try to take advantage of that when I can on my lunch break. Or if the weather is nice I will join some guys I work with for a run or go for a little walk in the afternoon.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I've had a desk job for about 20 years. I go to the gym about 5 times a week and incorporate both strength training and cardio. I also eat healthy through the week and then eat 1 cheat meal on the weekend. I do my best :wink:
  • jenny3073
    jenny3073 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    At my desk all day as well, I take 10 minute lunch breaks... in my office at my desk. I get up every 2-3 hours to go down the hall or get more water, that's about it. I even try to time things (printing, etc.) so I can get a few things taken care of while I'm up! I don't enjoy walking, and I dread the monthly walk to another building to use a special machine. When I was tracking steps, it was rare to see even 2000. I do like stretching and light aerobics, which I'd prefer to do in mornings but I always stay in bed until the last possible moment and allow no time for this. By the time I get home from work I'm on the couch until bed time, except for the time spent standing in the kitchen to make dinner for us which is a huge change for me as I used to just grab fast food on the way home and my boyfriend would just eat oatmeal before work (dinner is his breakfast). Lately I've been sitting on my exercise ball to watch tv or play fallout 4, helps keep me moving a tiny bit. I am 99.9% sure most of my pain will dissipate with more movement but it's easier said than done when there's so much weight making walking painful. My goal is to strengthen my back and muscles to be able to endure a bit of walking during work, getting away from my desk a bit more. I heard a few years ago that sitting at desk all day is as unhealthy as smoking a pack a day! And when my strength training coach told us that our bodies were not designed for sitting, I almost cried! Anyway, great ideas from previous comments and very inspiring!!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I'm an insurance broker and I pretty much sit all day and it's too cold for me to walk on lunch still. I'm so lazy right now too, like really lazy. I'm sure my tdee is max 1850 most days LOL
  • TH2017
    TH2017 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have desk job as well. I am literally at my desk anywhere from 6 to 8 hours a day. Talk about sedentary. I just started really working out again to help jump start my weight loss. I also want to try and incorporate more activity and movement in my day so I plan on getting some type of activity tracker to help with reach step per day goals.