Are eggs in high quantities bad?

Options
I just started my diet and I'm trying to eat more protein and less carbs. I had 6 eggs yesterday, 2 scrambled and 4 boiled. Is that too much?

Replies

• Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I eat 2-3 eggs everyday, keeps me full and low calorie. You can add in egg whites to limit the number of eggs you use.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Kenda2427 wrote: »
    I eat 2-3 eggs everyday, keeps me full and low calorie. You can add in egg whites to limit the number of eggs you use.

I would do the egg white thing too.... I prefer getting fat from other places! I usually have 1-2 whole eggs a day, but add 2-6 extra egg whites depending on the meal
  • arminredfern1984
    arminredfern1984 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was about 3-4 eggs mixed with whites. Eggs are very low carb and high in protein. A moderate amount is good for nutrition. But keep in mind eggs are mid range high in cholesterol
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is too much, although like pinuplove said I wouldn't do this every day. Variety is good. I just had a big omelet for breakfast this morning.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    unless you are diabetic, it's fine. I had a nurse tell me that I can eat as many eggs as I want, that the thinking of them raising your cholesterol is a bunch of baloney.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol has little affect on serum cholesterol. Eat the eggs. Cholesterol issues are more genetic (if you have them)
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    If it fits in your calories, go for it. Eggs are good for you!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    jglhklhgl wrote: »
    I just started my diet and I'm trying to eat more protein and less carbs. I had 6 eggs yesterday, 2 scrambled and 4 boiled. Is that too much?

Maybe or maybe not. For some (about 1/3 of the population) dietary cholesterol raises serum cholesterol significantly. For the rest is does not. Only way to know which you are in is through blood tests.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I like eggs, but try to limit them, as they (whole) will push me over my fat allowance for my macros. I like having egg whites around to help boost the protein consumption without "overspending" in the fat department.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Relser wrote: »
    unless you are diabetic, it's fine. I had a nurse tell me that I can eat as many eggs as I want, that the thinking of them raising your cholesterol is a bunch of baloney.

Why can't diabetics eat eggs??
  • astronaught
    astronaught Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Relser wrote: »

Why can't diabetics eat eggs??

That sounds like the start of a bad joke my Echo would tell me.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 3 a day; my LDL was low and HDL was high.
    6 eggs seems like a lot more from a smell standpoint though. I have a feeling that many would give me noxious gas.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Current research has disproven the correlation between dietary and blood levels of cholesterol. That said, I personally wouldn't eat 6 eggs every day just because a more varied diet will help you meet micronutrient goals and keep you from getting so bored with food. I have a couple of eggs scrambled for breakfast regularly though!

This is true in most, but not all cases- it's why it's better that your doctor keeps an eye on your cholesterol just in case you are one of the few who have the genetics that turn dietary cholesterol into blood cholesterol.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    eggs, shmeggs, IF protein is a major concern for you, try a protein supplement, whey, whey isolate, veggie protein.. etc... most posters are on the nail when they suggest maintaining a variety in your diet... nuts, and beans are also high in protein... most nutritionists will tell you to eat at least 5-7 different "colours" everyday... yes colours... green, red, orange, yellow, purple, white, dusty rose??? you get the idea... colour is a indication of different minerals in the food...
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Eggs are a perfect food for diabetics, not sure where you got that from. And the whole thing about eggs being bad for your cholesterol is one of those old "the world is flat" things not based on any science at all. Eat as many as you like. They are versatile, and a cheap source of protein. I would eat 12 - 18 a week, have done so for years.
  • n622921
    n622921 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    as far as I am concerned, the only thing thats bad are eggs in low quantities...... enjoy all the eggs!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Eggs are good, but so is variety. Salmon, yogurt, cottage cheese, poultry, beef, pork, beans and the old standbys shakes & bars.