Runners - have you ever?

Options
had abuse shouted at you whilst out on a run?
I am trying to get back to doing a lunchtime run when at work and run with a colleague. today we have just got back from our 3.5 mile run which i was feeling really good about when nearly back at the office a "male" shouted through a flat window "run you fat *kitten* run you f**king fat *kitten*". i have never had abuse shouted at me ever. I have words of encouragement when people have passed me but never something like this.

How do others deal with this? Im feeling really quite upset now - yes i was running (or attempting to) and yes Im fat but Im really not a *kitten*!!!

seriously why would someone ever feel that they could shout such things?

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Some people a complete wankers.

Oh and by the way - Looking at your profile pic, you're not fat.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Some people are just *kitten*. It's unfortunate, but it's the truth.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry that happened to you today.

Yes, it's happened to me before, several times. It can sting or it can even be scary. I try my best to remind myself that it's about them, not about me.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    Came back to add - Yep. I got some abuse occasionally, but it was very rare. I think women probably get more than men.

There really is not much you can do about it other than shake it off - it's their crappy behaviour and nothing to do with you personally . If you weren't running past at the time they would be shouting at some other "outlier" - older, different skin colour, looks prudish, looks slutty, looks stupid, in a wheelchair, walking slowly, walking fast, pushing a pram, carrying a heavy load, anything really.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm so sorry that happened to you. I run in quiet rural areas because I'm afraid of stuff like that. When I lived in the city and in the 'burbs, I only tried running outside a few times and it was very uncomfortable. I sincerely hope you'll be stronger than I am.

eta: In case you think there was any validity to that *kitten*'s comments, let me counter with the truth: you aren't fat.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Came back to add - Yep. I got some abuse occasionally, but it was very rare. I think women probably get more than men.

There really is not much you can do about it other than shake it off - it's their crappy behaviour and nothing to do with you personally . If you weren't running past at the time they would be shouting at some other "outlier" - older, different skin colour, looks prudish, looks slutty, looks stupid, in a wheelchair, walking slowly, walking fast, pushing a pram, carrying a heavy load, anything really.

I don't think it has much to do with someone's actual weight -- I've had weight-related insults shouted at me at 140 pounds, at 120 pounds, at 115 pounds.

Not to say that overweight people don't get targeted verbal abuse in public -- they do. But getting weight-related insults doesn't mean that someone is necessarily overweight -- nasty people know that it can hurt women to hear stuff like that, so sometimes they'll say it to anyone.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    ^^Agree completely. Was what I was unsuccessfully trying to say.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry that happened to you. Some people are just awful.

I live and run in a rather sedate neighborhood. The only time anyone has ever said anything to me was when I was out playing Pokemon Go. Some teens teased me about being a bit old for it.
  • rosej31
    rosej31 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Don't pay the person any attention, pray for that person...Most of the time people say things just to get attention.

In your profile you do not look fat not at all.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    jakicooke wrote: »
    Im feeling really quite upset now

Please dont allow that drama queen to ruin your day. Shake it off, right now.

• jakicooke
    jakicooke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the support - it seems ive been fortunate to have not come across this before.

i am fat - my profile pic is 18 months old when i was at my best for a long time - ive put weight on and back at it again hence trying to get in a run most lunchtimes at work. im trying!!!!

do you just ignore the comments? i didnt give any reaction back as a) i was far too shocked and b) i was actually a little scared by it
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    thanks everyone for the support - it seems ive been fortunate to have not come across this before.

i am fat - my profile pic is 18 months old when i was at my best for a long time - ive put weight on and back at it again hence trying to get in a run most lunchtimes at work. im trying!!!!

do you just ignore the comments? i didnt give any reaction back as a) i was far too shocked and b) i was actually a little scared by it

Ignore it. They want a reaction, don't give it to them. And you can't be sure that saying something won't escalate the situation.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Many times. Twice yesterday, in fact. Sunday, I was even followed for a short distance. Enough of that, though. Not going to keep me from running.
  • mayafit405
    mayafit405 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    had abuse shouted at you whilst out on a run?
    I am trying to get back to doing a lunchtime run when at work and run with a colleague. today we have just got back from our 3.5 mile run which i was feeling really good about when nearly back at the office a "male" shouted through a flat window "run you fat *kitten* run you f**king fat *kitten*". i have never had abuse shouted at me ever. I have words of encouragement when people have passed me but never something like this.

How do others deal with this? Im feeling really quite upset now - yes i was running (or attempting to) and yes Im fat but Im really not a *kitten*!!!

seriously why would someone ever feel that they could shout such things?

What an idiot ! Im so sorry this happened you :( I think the best thing to do is ignore people like this. IMO , they're just trying to put the negativity they're feeling on you. I've had rocks thrown at me and been shot at with bebe gun. :| The only thing I could do was just not run in those areas anymore . My advice: Stay aware of your surroundings , don't engage idiots that drive by in cars and shout insults and keep up the excellent work you're doing <3

Best wishes
  • dawson002
    dawson002 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    unfortunately there are major idiots in this world.

try not to let these idiots get to you and maybe next time, stick a finger or 2 up at them
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Verbal harassment I usually ignored. Occasionally told them to go do something gross with their mother. Because I feel like a sucker when I let people make me a victim. I'm not advocating that, because it could escalate into a dangerous situation if you taunt the the animals.

If you feel physically threatened, it's a different situation. When I cycled, I carried little metal nuts and a big U-lock and I wielded them against aggressive taxis and physically intimidating people. I considered it self-defense.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I've been running for years and people have yelled at me a handful of times. It's been sexual in nature but I also experienced someone yell "you suck!" I don't suck so I don't know why someone would say that lol. People can be mean but unless it's someone who signs my paychecks or my significant other saying something they're just words that shouldn't be given any thought.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    That guy probably has problems of his own and is just trying to deflect.