Too Much Protein?

I know some folks say not to worry about the protein, carbs, fat and that if you are in a caloric deficit you will lose weight....... I'm only 2 weeks in, have not lost any weight despite being vigilant at counting my calories. I notice that by the end of lunch I am close if not over my protein goals for the day..... :neutral: and then - what do I do for dinner??? So, help? Is it truly about JUST the calories?? I came from a low carb/almost no carb diet so I am used to eating lots of protein and shying away from the carbs - maybe that is my problem? Just fyi I was not losing on the low carb/no carb diet either as it was "don't have to count calories!" which totally doesn't work for me - it gives me the OKAY to eat a whole chicken as opposed to 1/4. :blush: Thanks!

Replies

• Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    It is all about CICO are you accurately weighting and measuring you food?
  • Sara3434
    Sara3434 Posts: 48 Member
    From what I've been told and believe no your not eating too much protein a lot of people eat more protein than anything else. It is just calorie deficit needed to lose weight.
    Also keto/ low carb.....you do still have to watch calories maybe that's why it didn't work for you?!
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 623 Member
    Ideally you should split your macros equally between your meals. That way you won't go over..I would say anything above 1g per lb body weight not required unless you're a serious bodybuilder
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,165 Member
    What are your macros? Because MFP default amount for protein is very low.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Weight loss is about calories first, calories second....calories always.

Most people have to count calories.....even on elimination diets like low carb.

Weight loss (for me) needs to have something in common with weight maintenance. I know this because I've lost & regained (a couple times). So my macros (protein, fat, carbs) while losing look like my macros while maintaining. I don't plan to eat low carb forever.....so that's not a weight loss strategy for me.

If you are not losing weight....you are eating more than you think, you are burning less than you think, or you are holding water (weight).....this is temporary weight due to higher sodium, eating carbs again after low carbing, starting a new exercise routine, or time of the month.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    The protein goal given to you on MFP is an absolute minimum, unlike your calorie goal which you should consider a maximum.

You are losing muscle while you are losing weight and eating more protein will help prevent some of that muscle loss. It also helps keep many people satiated (along with adequate fiber). You can adjust your macronutrient goals in your profile. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Dr Joel Fuhrman theories that when we eat for strength our toxic hunger goes away. So is your body dying for vitamins because you fill up on protein? Perhaps you could PLAN 5 veggies, x fruits, .. grams of protein, etc. to ensure that you body is getting the nutrients that it needs. Lucky for me I eat the salad bar at work and had 3 bean and kale salad for lunch.
  • mirnmax
    mirnmax Posts: 38 Member
    Hmmm..... Thanks for all the replies. I have very low calorie goal as I'm pretty much sedentary. Bursitis in my hip..... And exercise induced a-fib; cardiologist says must keep heart rate below 100..... So I do what I can. Anyway.... I had ham cheese on whole wheat English muffin, then romaine and cauliflower tater tots wrapped in ham for lunch, some carrots..... Low sodium v8 for a snack...... I do need to add fruits. Not really hungry for dinner yet..... 8 cups water, and will go to water aerobics tonight. Oh and yes I weigh most everything, a scale at work and at home. Any other suggestions for exercise are always welcome!
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    what is your target protein amount though that you say you are going over? as someone said, MFP protein target is super low, so going over that is not a problem.
  • mirnmax
    mirnmax Posts: 38 Member
    It's 60 ....... Grams? What is it? Lol! But yes, 60....
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    wow, that is really quite a low target!! a lot of people aim for 1 gram per pound of body weight...especially if you are doing any type of strength training....even without, don't worry at all about going over 60 grams of protein in a day!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    60 grams is the default for 20% of 1200 calories. It's not that hard to hit so I wouldn't worry about it.
  • BeauNash
    BeauNash Posts: 103 Member
    edited March 2017
    deleted